Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM Cayman question

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 04:15 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM Cayman question

I am considering buying a C-S and want to know how folks feel about PASM. Is it a must have option (since it cannotbe retrofitted) or is the standard suspension good and more changeble down the road?

Any feedback appreciated. I will be moving from a 993.

Jeff
Old 04-23-2006, 05:12 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

if you are just driving around town stand suspension is more than fine.
i even use that on the track.
it's stiffer than stock 993 suspension for sure.
Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From reading a lot of feedback, I think PASM is probably useful mostly for occasional autocrossers and/or trackers. If you don't do either, or do them only rarely, the standard suspension is very good. Track junkies shouldn't get PASM either because they will just get a stiffer aftermarket suspension anyway, so ordering the standard suspension will save them money up front. I ordered PASM because I autocross frequently (stiff "stock" suspension for stock class), and track occasionally. If I drove only on public roads, I wouldn't have ordered PASM, and if I were a track junkie, I wouldn't have ordered PASM either. Those with the standard suspension have reported liking it very much. it's a bit stiffer than the PASM suspension when not engaged, and a little softer than the PASM suspension when engaged.
Old 04-23-2006, 06:15 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

jim's explanation is right on.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:27 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Default So...

it sounds like if I am going to use this thing as a daily driver w/ little to no track work the standard setup will work.

Here's the spec.:

Speed Yellow - stone grey leather
Sport Steering Wheel
Seat Belts in Speed Yellow
Porsche Crest in Headrest
Instrument Dials Speed Yellow
Sport Shifter
Black Mats
Bose Surround Sound System
Sport Chrono Pkg w/o PCM
Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
Rear Window Wiper
19" Sport Design Wheel
Leather Sport Seats
Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
Instr Surround Painted Exterior Color
Automatic Climate Control (still can't get my head around having to pay for this in a $60K car)

Jeff
Old 04-23-2006, 08:27 PM
Joe Yang
Intermediate

My Cayman has no PASM. I found standard suspension is VERY good for street, on track and autocross.

However, if you do autocross often, I would recommend getting PASM option. This way you can have stiffer suspension without bumping you out of STOCK class.

If you plan on tracking the car, I would recommend standard suspension and go aftermarket coilover.

Joe
--------------------
'04 GT3 white
'06 CaymanS yellow
'00 Boxster (sold)
'05 BMW 325i
'05 Subaru Legacy GT Limited
Old 04-23-2006, 09:05 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

I had the F55 Magnetic Selective Ride Control (i.e., Chevy PASM) on my Corvette and it wasn't the panacea I was hoping it would be. I have the standard suspension on my Cayman S and think it is just fine. I have no regrets about not getting PASM since the standard suspension is comfortable enough for a sports car and always keeps the tires in contact with the road.

Alan
Old 04-26-2006, 08:26 PM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Default Thanks everyone -

Appreciate the input. I have changed my mind and am going to get PASM. Ther are a incredible number of dealer stock cars across the US with options that approximate what I was putting in the SY car - so I am buying off the lot. I am leaning towards Guards Red - the car looks good in this color (IMHO).

Good discounts abound....

Jeff
Old 04-27-2006, 01:08 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a track junkie and I love PASM; it's dual nature is great for a car that I primarily use as a daily driver. Now, if it were my primary track car, I would get the stock suspension and upgrade it with some coilovers. But for me, these are always too stiff for daily driving and suspensions like PSS9's are a royal pain in the *** to adjust between street and track settings.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:04 AM
jaf996cab
Instructor

Default Thanks...

I am past my trackdays - just do not have time anymore so I am glad to hear that PASM will be nice for daily driving. I am impressed with the cars ability out of the box and am sure that many will non-PASM C-S owners will install good coilovers once they become available - some for aesthetics and some for track work.
Old 04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have a Cayman S, but a Carrera S with PASM as standard trim. After 3 months of ownership and several track days, i would say PASM is nice to have at the track but not necessarily a must. If track is the main use nothing will beat a real "track" setup.
However, the biggest advantage is on day to day street driving. PASM is not only Soft or Stiff, the biggest plus is that it is "active". The "magic carpet" ride feeling is amazing. This is the most comfortable true sportscar I've ever ridden and almost nothing on the road upsets the balance of the car. The non-PASM cars, although having a great suspension setup cannot just cope with irregularities and road quality "adaptation" as well as PASM, and other active reactions a regular shock suspension can't do (antidive, anti-squat, control weight trasnfer better, etc.). This probably is why I believe the car is not really faster in PASM "Sport" compared to "Normal". They are just different baseline modes, and it really depends on driver preference on the extra perceived confidence of a "stiffer" setup; but both modes remain "adaptive" and that's what makes PASM great.

My view is that Porsche positions PASM as a "performance" upgrade but IMO it is a ride quality upgrade. For example, the PASM 997 is probably the first 911 whose nose doesn't "bob" all over the place.... all thanks to adaptive shocks.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:36 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Cgomez... good post. Somehow your eloquent description makes me want to consider PASM. I haven't driven it yet and have issues against active suspensions in sports cars, but you put it in a way that makes it sound somewhat appealing. I guess the only thing I question is "perceived confidence" of a stiffer setup. I would think it's more than perception but understand your point. I see you are from the NYC area. Which mode do use most on our "civilian" roads or do you actively toggle?
Old 04-29-2006, 12:25 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Yes, Cgomez, excellent point. I had forgotten about the active/adaptive aspect of PASM, mainly because it's adaptation to more spirited driving is almost imperceptible. I have never run autocross or track with Sport Mode not engaged, but I think I'll try that to see just how far the active/adaptive aspect of PASM will take the suspension toward Sport Mode engaged. I think I remember seeing suspension firmness graphs showing the overlap somewhere, but I don't remember exactly what it showed.
Designman: I don't live in NY state, but I use Sport Mode only very rarely on public roads in SW VA. We have a lot of curves and elevation changes here, but most of the road surfaces aren't very smooth. Sounds like a good place to have the active/adaptive aspect of PASM.

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 04-29-2006 at 12:34 PM. Reason: addition
Old 04-29-2006, 01:02 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my impressions and graph are here: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/263657-extremely-happy-with-pasm.html
Old 04-29-2006, 02:22 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Yes, those are the graphs I saw. I've pulled the images off to place in my Cayman folder this time. Nice job, and thanks.

Quick Reply: PASM Cayman question