Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PASM Cayman question

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 02:48 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim… I suppose Normal would be the default mode for me around here too. Our roads can be brutal. Plus I’m concerned about this trend toward lower profile tires. In spite of the new suspensions' ability to absorb, sheer momentum with an average pothole or mogul would take out two wheels without even trying. NYC itself is an off-road experience. Even in the suburbs, which are much better, situations snipe. I’ve had this impression that the PASM modes were extreme but am beginning to believe it’s only my perception. The "active" part is intriguing. In any event, when the time comes I will be giving PASM a full audition with undivided attention. It’s good to hear these user experiences on road and track… the more the merrier.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:01 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by designman
Cgomez... good post. Somehow your eloquent description makes me want to consider PASM. I haven't driven it yet and have issues against active suspensions in sports cars, but you put it in a way that makes it sound somewhat appealing. I guess the only thing I question is "perceived confidence" of a stiffer setup. I would think it's more than perception but understand your point. I see you are from the NYC area. Which mode do use most on our "civilian" roads or do you actively toggle?
NYC? don't even try Sport mode!
PASM Normal is perfect for our road surface (or lack of!)

My comment about "perceived confidence" is the fact that "confidence" is always subjective and is the eye of the beholder. Technically, I say this b/c the ultimate grip and cornering balance of the car is not affected by PASM and is a function of tires (compound and size) and spring, swaybar ratios and alignment (none of those affected by balance). Road courses rarely have sections that transition so fast (left to right) where you really can't be smooth and take the time to transfer the weight properly in a softer car (and believe me PASM normal is not softy cadillac but ratehr well controlled).

The stiffer Sport setting just makes the car more "eager" reactive (faster weight transfer) but the limits (cornering) and speed you can carry through a corner are the same.

I would say that in tracks with bad surfaces you are probably better off with PASM Normal as in Sport is easier to "skip" a wheel and loose traction over rippled surfaces.
Old 04-29-2006, 07:08 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Nice graphs! Exactly illustrates my point. The biggest value in PASM is the range within the damping force can change.

Notice that the biggest baseline difference is in slow shock speed (corner turn-in, corner track out, brake dive and accel) in which PASM Sport will help out with abrupt driver inputs, but PASM Normal will work just fine if you are smooth enough and "trust" that the grip is the same (PASM Normal will provide faster corner turn-in roll which may trick the drive into thinking the limit might be lower than with PASM Sport).

Quick Reply: PASM Cayman question