Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autoweek: BMW Z4 (M) Article; many Cayman mentions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 10:21 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Autoweek: BMW Z4 (M) Article; many Cayman mentions

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60123008/1065

tino
Old 01-25-2006, 11:55 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm surprised it'll only do 0-62 .4 sec faster than Cayman. I don't think Porsche has too much to worry about.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:51 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I do not know about BMW but i know the Porsche's specs that they advratice are always conservitive from my experiances. So if BMW is not so conservitive with their performance specs the cars may be even closer them we think.

Old 01-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Atlas_Croc
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just about every road test has the Cayman S pegged at a 0-60 of 4.8 to 5.1 seconds......this article posted the "factory" 0-60 number for the Cayman S @ 5.4. I believe the M4 coupe will be the same or maybe a tenth or two quicker in this area......but still fall way behind in overall handling and braking......not to mention looks, but that's truly subjective. The big problem I see is the price......about equal to the Cayman??......what is BMW thinking. About the only thing BMW M versions had going for them against Porsche was better pricing......now that's not there.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Z4 (M) will have to be priced below Cayman S -- otherwise only a die-hard Porsche-hater would buy it -- or those who have a very different sense of style than mine.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:21 PM
Cloud964
Instructor

I think it looks pretty good, one of the better shape from BMW lately.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:54 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm sure the MCoupe accelerates faster than the Cayman S, not just because the S54 engine gives more power but mostly due to gearing (shorter ratios and higher redline at 8K).

However, the Cayman S has little to worry about it at the track IMO b/c the MCoupe weighs 3300lbs!!!!
It's just 150lbs lighter than the 4seater E46 M3.
Real bummer, as I was hoping for some real competition to the Cayman S from BMW, so maybe we could get a better and cheaper product form Porsche (more hp?), but seems there's little need for that....
Old 01-26-2006, 06:14 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

BMW's come with lots of standard equipment. I think the "real" price differential will be close to $10k, once the options are tallied...
Old 01-26-2006, 07:05 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
BMW's come with lots of standard equipment. I think the "real" price differential will be close to $10k, once the options are tallied...
It's even more, like $16K. I've seen the option list for the BMW and if you compare both cars with the same specs, a loaded MCoupe (SatNav, full leather, etc.) will be $60K while the equivalent Cayman S (same options +PASM +Sportchrono) will be around $76K.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:11 AM
kbonnel
Advanced

I believe the entry price for the M Coupe will be a little less than the M Roadster, which I believe is going to start at 52k. The non M Coupe will be around 41k. I got most of this info from the numerous BMW forums I read.

Kimo
Old 02-10-2006, 12:56 AM
Mabuhay
Racer

The MCoupe (which I think is ugleeeeeeee - at least from the back) will be much faster than the gorgeous Cayman. Can you tell I'm in the market for a Cayman? But my biggest gripe is that after I put in all the features that I want in the Cayman, I'm looking at $70k! OUCH - and the value analysis is not looking good. With the MRoadster (I don't like the MCoupe), I will spend $55k-$60k with everything and have a much faster car/convertible. However, I really really liked the handling of the new Boxster S that I drove and can only imagine it being better in the Cayman.

Thus, I think I'm going to wait and see how the MRoadster feels. They reverted back to the normal vs. electric steering wheel in the regular Z4 and added the M-lock LSD. This made it much heavier than my current Z4 (3100lbs) which I chose over the older Boxster S 986. Admittedly, the new 987 Boxster S handles much better and feels much better.

So, here I am again faced with a similar dilemma... help me get out of BMW! MRoadster or Cayman S???
Old 02-10-2006, 08:47 AM
jbarrow
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Armand
The MCoupe (which I think is ugleeeeeeee - at least from the back) will be much faster than the gorgeous Cayman. Can you tell I'm in the market for a Cayman? But my biggest gripe is that after I put in all the features that I want in the Cayman, I'm looking at $70k! OUCH - and the value analysis is not looking good. With the MRoadster (I don't like the MCoupe), I will spend $55k-$60k with everything and have a much faster car/convertible. However, I really really liked the handling of the new Boxster S that I drove and can only imagine it being better in the Cayman.

Thus, I think I'm going to wait and see how the MRoadster feels. They reverted back to the normal vs. electric steering wheel in the regular Z4 and added the M-lock LSD. This made it much heavier than my current Z4 (3100lbs) which I chose over the older Boxster S 986. Admittedly, the new 987 Boxster S handles much better and feels much better.

So, here I am again faced with a similar dilemma... help me get out of BMW! MRoadster or Cayman S???
In addition the BMW will come with "free" maintenance as did your current Z4.

As for getting out of a BMW and into a Porsche, if you've lusted for the Porsche and love the way they drive, feel and sound, then there is really no substitute. Try not to get hung up on specifications. How often are you going to go flat out to 60 or a 100 so that you'll really notice those last few tenths?

With that said I think the Z4 coupe looks good, much better than the roadster, especially in darker colors.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:57 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

What really surprised me looking at the Autoweek article, was the relative output of the BMW and Porsche engines.

M Coupe: 3.2 liters 343 hp
Cayman S: 3.4 liters 295 hp

And the BMW makes more torque as well.
Really makes you wonder how much better that Porsche engine could be if Porsche wasn't holding it back to not threaten the 911 line-up. If the Cayman had the same hp as the M Coupe, I don't think I could resist ordering one. As it stand now, though, the Cayman is attractive, but not a "must have".
Old 02-10-2006, 12:16 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantviper
I do not know about BMW but i know the Porsche's specs that they advratice are always conservitive from my experiances. So if BMW is not so conservitive with their performance specs the cars may be even closer them we think.

BMW is conservative also.

For me, this choice is a no brainer. The little bimmer is the ugliest car on the face of the earth and Cayman is just about heralded as the best pure driver's car on the face of the earth. BMW has its work cut out with this comparison.

I agree with jbarrow. Don't get hung up on specs.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Mabuhay
Racer

Originally Posted by caf
What really surprised me looking at the Autoweek article, was the relative output of the BMW and Porsche engines.

M Coupe: 3.2 liters 343 hp
Cayman S: 3.4 liters 295 hp

And the BMW makes more torque as well.
Really makes you wonder how much better that Porsche engine could be if Porsche wasn't holding it back to not threaten the 911 line-up. If the Cayman had the same hp as the M Coupe, I don't think I could resist ordering one. As it stand now, though, the Cayman is attractive, but not a "must have".
Actually, BMW makes much better engines than Porsches - so far as I've seen and driven. They've been able to extract more hp out of the engines and have a much better tq curve. I've noticed that the Porsche engines have a very noticeable "dip" in the torque curve - presumably when it switches cam profiles. On the BMW engines, the tq curve is flat like a table...they feel very consistent throughout the rev range. Porsche engines feel like a dud until you get them past 4k rpms...

Overall, I have an issue with paying more for a car that is slower- although handles better...AND is sexier... I may just say screw it and get the 997S.

Quick Reply: Autoweek: BMW Z4 (M) Article; many Cayman mentions