Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall guy sat in Cayman S today. Odd observations I have.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006, 01:32 AM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tall guy sat in Cayman S today. Odd observations I have.

Stopped by Scottsdale Porsche at closing time. They had what seemed to be a basalt black Cayman S out front with Carerra classic wheels.

Info about me: I'm 6ft 4in, 240lbs. Pants are 38waist by 34 length (this will make sense in a minute.)

Believe it or not there was a ton of headroom, even for someone of my dimensions. There's more headroom in this car than in my M3 w/sunroof. I couldn't believe it.

But here's the problem. There's no legroom. Even with the seatback adjusted straight up and the seat all the way back on the rails, my legs are at about a 120-135 degree angle. My knees manage to miss the dash but the angle is unpleasant. So, if you're tall then you better sit in one first. Hopefully your legs are shorter than mine.

To make things worse, if you want to recline the seatback even a little, it hits the upper back part of the divider to the engine. So, you must move the seat even further forward on the rails!!! Even less legroom! Arghh!!!!

Couple of other small observations:

1. The steering wheel is thinner than the one on my hybrid civic. Very thin, very cheap feeling. I never thought this mattered until tonight.
2. To me the interior is NOT identical to the 997. It is in terms of the shape, but it is a MINIATURE version of the 997's interior. Think of a full laptop computer vs. a blackberry. The Cayman's center console just seemed miniaturized beyond belief. Cute, though, but certainly not of identical size to that of the 997.
3. From the outside, the car looks EXACTLY like it does in the pics. Neither bigger nor smaller to my eyes. Just as expected.

-Aaron

Last edited by yemenmocha; 01-12-2006 at 01:57 AM.
Old 01-12-2006, 02:10 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

I'm not sure the interior of the Cayman is identical to that of a 997. I thought it duplicates the Boxster interior.

I am 5'-5" and that's an advantage only in driving and plane rides.

CP
Old 01-12-2006, 01:39 PM
phaedrus242
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The interior is identical to that of the Boxter save for the bonnet over the instrument cluster which is unique to the Cayman.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:40 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Caymans are at dealers now, so everyone has a chance to try them on for size. I'm 6' 1" with fairly long legs for my height (I think my trunk shrunk 1" over the last 40 years); 34" inseam. The Cayman leg length is just long enough. I like to sit fairly upright, so that helps. I think I'd like about .5" more seat travel (one more notch), but I'm not taking the car back. Someone posted previously that the body height limits for leg room comfort seem to end at about 6' 1", and I agree.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:03 PM
Olav A.
Racer

I have a 34" inseam and had no issues with the leg room. 6'3", 33" waist @215lbs.

I had tons of head room too. I guess that bubbled roof helps and no sunroof.
Old 01-12-2006, 11:30 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Read somewhere that if the seat is adjusted too low, (may be why you had such surprising head room), that you can lose a lot in seat travel.

My own experience was that at 6'1" and average leg length, my fit was tailor-made in both headroom and legroom.

tino
Old 01-13-2006, 07:06 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I couldn't get any more seat travel with my seat at the highest position than I could with it at the lowest position. If the seat also moved backwards gradually as it was raised, that would provide a bit more leg room, but it seems to just go straight up and down. Need to measure that to know for sure. When you have a leg-shortening operation, do they take half the distance from the thigh and the other half from the lower leg, of do they take it all from one place? Anybody here who's had such an operation?

Last edited by Jim Michaels; 01-13-2006 at 07:12 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-14-2006, 03:32 AM
RobertG
Racer

im 6'9" and I have no problem at all sitting ina caymanS
Old 01-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

I think a 6" 9" body having no problem sitting in a Cayman might be a record. Now, how about the driving it part?
Old 01-15-2006, 09:09 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm 6'2" with a 34" inseam. I picked up my Cayman S on Friday evening. What I found was that while my legs are bent when driving, it's not a problem. It is a bit of a problem if you leave the steering wheel in and down, but if you pull it all the way out and put it all the way up, then it's great. In fact, I drive with the seat forward about two clicks and with it leaned back a little and all the way down.

My car has sport seats and the sport wheel (which is supposed to be a little bit smaller in diameter). I wonder if some seats aren't worse about how "thick" the seat back is and thus how it affects how far back you can go.

FWIW, I sold my Lotus Elise because with size 14 feet you had no chance at heel-toe *and* because with a 34" inseam my leg was *against* the steering wheel when in first or second gear. So maybe I'm just happy it isn't *that* bad.

I did drive it five hours to get it home and it was no worse than any other vehicle when you're stuck in it that long.

--Donnie
Old 01-18-2006, 09:57 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Robert G,

6'9" and fit in a Cayman? Wow, what is your inseam? Sorry if that's a little personal...

I am 6'1" with a 34 inseam and I could not get comfortable. I couldn't get the seat bottom back far enough nor could I get the seat back reclined where I needed it to be. If the seat bottom was all the way back, then I found my arms were too close. If the recline was where I needed it, then the my legs were up around the steering wheel. I'm used to having more than enough legroom in the RSA. It reminded me of getting in an MB SL which has the same kind of issues.
Old 01-19-2006, 02:22 AM
RobertG
Racer

i have a 42 inseam
Old 01-19-2006, 02:25 AM
RobertG
Racer

Couple of other small observations:

1. The steering wheel is thinner than the one on my hybrid civic. Very thin, very cheap feeling. I never thought this mattered until tonight.
SAME wheel that is on the 997.....But you upgrade
2. To me the interior is NOT identical to the 997. It is in terms of the shape, but it is a MINIATURE version of the 997's interior. Think of a full laptop computer vs. a blackberry. The Cayman's center console just seemed miniaturized beyond belief. Cute, though, but certainly not of identical size to that of the 997.
IINTERIOR from the seats forward is IDENTICAL in SIZE to the 997. Only the air vents and instrument pod is different.
3. From the outside, the car looks EXACTLY like it does in the pics. Neither bigger nor smaller to my eyes. Just as expected.

I think it looks much more aggressive in person.
Old 01-19-2006, 07:38 PM
SDP
Intermediate

6'3"/35" inseam/190lbs. Need at least another 2" of legroom to get comfortable. 997 however is OK in this department.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:23 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,007 Posts

I did test 'sit' in a Cayman and found that - like in the 996 and 997 my left arm is jammed up against the door panel - even with the seat bottom all the way to the floor. With sport seats the bottom is closer to the pan and my arm has a little more room because of the recess in the panel. But, I find the constant reminder that my arm is against the panel to be very annoying. Do you guys have only one arm? Or do you not find this annoying? I have an Audi TT as my DD and I have about 1" of room between my arm and the panel. Hard to believe that the TT is wider than a 996/7 or Cayman. Of course the airbags in the TT are not in the door.

Quick Reply: Tall guy sat in Cayman S today. Odd observations I have.