Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a suprise my saw one the other day

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default What a suprise my saw one the other day

Last Friday i went to my local porsche dealer. Had to pick up a part for my 944 (it was actually cheaper from the dealer with my pca discount then anywhere else, who would have thought!!!). Anyway they had a brand new Cayman S there with 13 miles on it. Apparently it was a loaner from PNA becuase they had to sign papers saying they would not drive it.

It was gorgous. I was happy that it does not look exactly like the boxter and I like the hockey sticks on the side though i thought they would be more defined. When i sat in it if felt nice, kind of snug but nice. Thouch i wish they would get rid of that damn nav stuff. One interesting thing i found was when i sat in it you could not hear the outside world. I just hope you can still hear the purr of the porsche engine, anyone know if you can? I hope it does not sound like a luxury sedan from inside. And like most cars pictures just do not do the same thing as seeing it in person. In a way the design with the hatch kind of reminded me a little of my car (maybe i an just nuts). Do you guys think it might hurt sales that they are not putting a sunroof in it?

On another note i think this would be a great platform to make a stripped down 4 cylinder version to cell at like the $30,000 price point. Porsche would be able to eat up this market and gain new clientel, though i know they never will do that even though i herd rumors a while abck about bringing back a 914 type in this range. But realisticly, i do not think it will ever happen.

Sorry about the long post but i just had to rant ever scince i saw it. I love checking out the new cars and talking about them once i finally see them in person, its never the same as reading about them in a mag.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:58 PM
Dave Howerdel
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Which dealer? PM or JD
Old 11-28-2005, 07:20 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

PM
Old 11-28-2005, 07:25 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantviper
I just hope you can still hear the purr of the porsche engine, anyone know if you can? I hope it does not sound like a luxury sedan from inside.
I started the one on my dealer's floor and it sounds great inside. This is no luxury sedan and definitely louder than a purr. It is a beautiful aggressive mechanical sound. I can only imagine how nice it will sound accelerating through the gears.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:32 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

good to hear. when i sat in it and herd how well it blocked out the outside sound i thought that might hurt the engine sound which is a must in a sports car.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:26 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

The Porsche dealer in London -- on the cab ride from Hethrow to downtown -- has one on their showroom floor. Looks better in person than in magazines. Very nice looking car.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a turbo 4 cayman w/30K msrp -- OMG Porsche wouldnt be able to build them fast enuf.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:36 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Exactly, A turbo 4 Caymen for 30K would take porsche to then next level in profits they would not be able to build enough of them in a year. Hell, they think the Cayanne and Boxter saved the company and made them the most proffitable car company in the world, if they could do this there would be a whole new market porsche would target with that type of car.

I just wish porsche would realize this and stop being stuck up saying we are too good of a company to build new cars that are affordable for all. This car would not have to be he fastest in its class just reliable, a turbo 4 could be easilly modded to make more power, it would jsut need to be respectable as far as performance goes. But i do not think the popele in the Porshce offices agree.

again just my own opinion.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:38 PM
LastGT3
Racer

Well - unless what I see in person doesn't jibe with your observations - my order is in for one.
Build in Jan 06.
Now it colour time - white with blue leather is my present thinking - no options.
What would be good for track use? Cermics (ie they have fixed the issues)
PASM
Sport Chrono?
Thic Steering wheel?

Thats all I can consider appropriate.

I just wish I could buy it complete ly stripped = a la cup Cayman with S motor (GT3 block would be the real kahuna)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:31 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yuck, I don't like the idea of a ~30k Cayman at all. It would be the new 300C, and every hot**** person would be driving one. Good for profits, bad for the brand.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:10 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

Last GT3 a stripped Cayman with the GT3 motor would be amazing i think it would be able to beat anything any other maufacturer could throw at it on the track. The GT3 is a serious car and what all 911s should be like its what porsche is really all about.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:12 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

As far as color i cannot wait to see one in black. My 944 is black and I find the color eccentuates lines on all of our cars. With all the great curves on the Cayman iI think it could look great in Black.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:04 PM
I love porsche
Three Wheelin'

jack daniels has a cayman also, i saw it in the window the other day...still have yet to see it up close....
Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 PM
Al P.
Pro

Just back from Ray Catena. They have one in GT Silver with a black interior, after sitting in it I have to say it is a really nice car and for some reason not at all Boxster like, if that makes any sense. The used black on black GT2 that's on the floor however is to die for, now where did I leave that exra 135K?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:36 AM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

you mean u don't have that kind of cash jsut laying around (J/K) .....a black on black GT-2 ooohhhh that just makes my mouth water.

Quick Reply: What a suprise my saw one the other day