Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build your Own Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:08 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Build your Own Cayman S

First of (probably) many configuration questions:

In the car configurator, What's the equivalent of spec'ing "Full Leather" as in 997s?
For the traditional leather colors, Is it just selecting the "Full Leather Seats" option?
What if you want the speciall leathers? Cocoa or Natural Brown for example. Does it automatically come Full Leather or you have to add stuff in the Leather options?

Thanks
Old 11-30-2005, 12:39 AM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just check all the boxes. $100,515 without paint by sample. I missed the handfitted luggage option.
You don't get the good leather unless its on the full seat. Too many options for a car in this price range.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:45 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by cgomez
In the car configurator, What's the equivalent of spec'ing "Full Leather" as in 997s? For the traditional leather colors, Is it just selecting the "Full Leather Seats" option?
Yes

What if you want the speciall leathers? Does it automatically come Full Leather
Yes
Old 11-30-2005, 09:13 AM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
Yes

Yes
Thanks. Not "that" expensive then. I only care for the leather dashboard top. Leather switches et al, is just to weird for a car.
Still tough to build a decently equipped Cayman S for less than $72K

Another question:
Is the PCM GSM module worth it (Sim card)?
I just can't believe they still don't offer bluetooth as any other manufacturer....
Or is there a proper aftermarket alternative..
Old 11-30-2005, 11:49 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Decently equipped" apparently means different things to different people. A friend of mine ordered his with all of the performance options (PASM, Sport Chrono,etc.) and came out at $61k. I got all those "direct" performance options, plus some "indirect" performance options (sport steering wheel, sports seats, etc.), and came out less than $65k. But if one also orders many of the comfort, convienence, and appearance options, one can certainly get to $75k easily enough. Maxing-out all options can get the car to $120k. Show some restraint; it's a sports car.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:47 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by cgomez
Still tough to build a decently equipped Cayman S for less than $72K...Is the PCM GSM module worth it (Sim card)?
I got everything I wanted for under $67,000. I will be using this car as a back road plaything so I don't care about or want PCM, power seats or other options I might put in a daily driver/GT.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:21 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
"Decently equipped" apparently means different things to different people. A friend of mine ordered his with all of the performance options (PASM, Sport Chrono,etc.) and came out at $61k. I got all those "direct" performance options, plus some "indirect" performance options (sport steering wheel, sports seats, etc.), and came out less than $65k. But if one also orders many of the comfort, convienence, and appearance options, one can certainly get to $75k easily enough. Maxing-out all options can get the car to $120k. Show some restraint; it's a sports car.

Well, its all about perspective. I already have my NO FRILLS barebones ride in my Lotus Elise, which I thought I could bear with through the Winter, but I'm about to get pneumonia driving it in sub 30F weather....

The Cayman S is intended to mostly be a Street daily driver which will probably see 5-7 trackdays a year (The Elise sees 20+). I can't cope with the idea of spending 60K plus in a car and not have regular 21st century convenience items like Navigation (The thing has actually saved my marriage) which is ridicuosly expensive in Porsches and memory power everything, so the car can be shared effortlessly with my wife (as I've done with all my - and hers - prior cars, except the Elise whcih she refuses to drive...).
For anybody that drives everyday and takes trips other than to his home, office or known places, navigation is a must. How can someone voluntarily prefer to not have it in their daily driver at this price point?

The rest of stuff, Phone, Ipod connectivity, bluetooth is nice to have and doesn;t compromise performance at all, and its a pitty that any Japaneese car has it standard these days and we either have to pay $1K+ or is not available...

If I wanted a track only car (at a higher price range than the Elise) I would go for a GT3 or if I had money to throw would by a 360CS and have the bnest midengine trackcar available....
Old 11-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Paul SLC
Advanced

A friend of mine ordered his with all of the performance options (PASM, Sport Chrono,etc.) and came out at $61k
Pretty nice deal for him. Base plus PASM alone is 61k.

Show some restraint; it's a sports car
I agree.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:07 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Ordered mine for right at $67K with PASM, Sport Chrono, Bose, Carrera S wheels, sport steering wheel and some other odds and ends. Pretty nicely equipped I think. I'm with Bigger Twin, gonna be a weekend toy so I don't care to much for a lot of frills. I think I hit the essentials pretty well and am satisfied. Can't wait to drive it though.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Paul: It was $61K and a few hundred with his senior citizen discount. Obviously, we both passed on the ceramic brakes. He was worried about the high cost of the replacement rotors, but I told him that we probably wouldn't live long enought to have to replace them.

Quick Reply: Build your Own Cayman S