Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New US Caymans - parking lot putterers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 05:37 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New US Caymans - parking lot putterers?

The new "demo" Caymans hitting the dealer showrooms may look normal, but thanks to PCNA, they're not. As most know, the cars are owned by PCNA & leased to dealers w/restrictions. They're not for sale until dealers buy them & that won't happen until after Jan. 15th.

Among the restrictions:
- they can't be driven off the dealer's premises;
- they can't be driven by other than an employee of the dealer;
- they can't be driven w/any non-employee passenger;
- they can't be displayed anywhere outside the dealer's premises;
- they are to covered on the showroom floor except when shown to a prospective customer;
- there can be no group showings until after Dec 14th;
- etc., etc.

Apparently PCNA doesn't trust its dealers to follow the rules. To ensure compliance w/the driving limitations, the engine mgmt computer has been programmed to limit top speed to 20 mph. Special software is apparently needed to reprogram the governor & that will be provided to each dealer "when it is needed." Unbelievable.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:18 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My guess is that this is some kind of marketing tactic. Maybe they are trying to get a feel for demand and produce accordingly. Don’t forget, Porsche loathes discounting and overproduction means they have to. Since the end of 2003, Boxsters have been discounted considerably and I think they are trying dial in production to nail demand. You would think that giving test drives would create more demand, but maybe these cars just aren’t production-ready.
Old 11-24-2005, 06:38 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, their plan is to build your desire to the point of insatiable lust - ready to place a deposit? Our (brand new) dealership is hosting the local PCA chapter Christmas Party (before the 14th). I wonder if they'll be able to keep a Porsche Riot from overwhelming security & exposing the Cayman in all its nakedness - those taut curves, high hips, tight tail & bright work...
Old 11-25-2005, 01:37 PM
928FIXER
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

20 MPH is the speed programmed into the computer for transport mode.Once the PDI is performed and vehicle handover has been performed the car drive normally.I've already driven the one here at a speed much higher then 20mph.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:24 PM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Just spoke to my local dealership Momentum Porsche. They said they may let people test drive on their private track. If I get to I'll report in.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:45 PM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like everyone has seen it and it has not been covered in almost all cases. I saw it and liked it. DOn't know about 72 K for the way I want it. Just a thought. Will wait for drive. Maybe my wife would like one.....
Old 11-29-2005, 01:05 AM
928Buyer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan 96C2 St.Louis
The new "demo" Caymans hitting the dealer showrooms may look normal, but thanks to PCNA, they're not. As most know, the cars are owned by PCNA & leased to dealers w/restrictions. They're not for sale until dealers buy them & that won't happen until after Jan. 15th.

Among the restrictions:
- they can't be driven off the dealer's premises;
- they can't be driven by other than an employee of the dealer;
- they can't be driven w/any non-employee passenger;
- they can't be displayed anywhere outside the dealer's premises;
- they are to covered on the showroom floor except when shown to a prospective customer;
- there can be no group showings until after Dec 14th;
- etc., etc.

Apparently PCNA doesn't trust its dealers to follow the rules. To ensure compliance w/the driving limitations, the engine mgmt computer has been programmed to limit top speed to 20 mph. Special software is apparently needed to reprogram the governor & that will be provided to each dealer "when it is needed." Unbelievable.
Dan that's not true your dealer is pulling your leg on the 20mph part I just drove my dealer's Cayman and we exceeded 20mph by far!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:26 PM
Sean
Drifting

Imagine hurtling around Barber Motorsports Park at speeds approaching 20 MPH!

I really like the Cayman, but Porsche's marketing efforts are becoming annoying.

Some of the videos are goofy (have you seen "True to Yourself"?).

PCNA keeping Caymans under canvas covers is downright silly. I guess it provokes discussion...but it's not positive discussion.

Last edited by Sean; 11-29-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:06 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Patience. January will be here before you know it.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:20 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sean, you gotta get into the program, man. after you prove your competence at 20, then they will let you take it all the way up to 30-35.

{& after all, you'll probably get to see more Caymans hurtling then most of us, sooner...}
Old 11-29-2005, 05:32 PM
Sean
Drifting

Originally Posted by ked
Sean, you gotta get into the program, man. after you prove your competence at 20, then they will let you take it all the way up to 30-35.
lol - Sorry... I suppose my opinions are influenced by the fact I drove to our dealership to see the Cayman, and instead saw that $#@! canvas cover.

Plus, I'm a sucker for heritage marketing. I liked the Boxster / 550 comparisons, and expected to see more Cayman / 904 stuff.

Watch the "True to yourself" video...you will experience a compelling urge to strangle the narrator.

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/ca...y/?gtabindex=2
Old 11-29-2005, 06:46 PM
ked
Addict
Rennlist Member

no thanks, I'll take your word for it.
instead, let's set up a 904 (or 356 Abarth) vs Cayman eval.
(the car mags don't have much creative imagination anymore, do they?)
c'mon up here, Century didn't get the cover memo (yet..).
cheers!
Old 11-29-2005, 09:07 PM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
Watch the "True to yourself" video...you will experience a compelling urge to strangle the narrator.
LOL... and I had an urge to strangle the driver... why did he park his Cayman and decide to go skateboarding... I'd continue going up & down Pacific Coast Hwy as he was doing previously... lame very lame...

Quick Reply: New US Caymans - parking lot putterers?