Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Cabin from Engine Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 10:32 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Hot Cabin from Engine Heat?

Hi,

My first thread on this forum. I'm usually on the 993 Forum.

I read somewhere (C&D I thought ) that the Caymen cabin could get hot from engine heat (mid engine location). Can anybody comment on this? Is that an issue with Boxsters?

Thanks.

CP
Old 09-19-2005, 11:21 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, it's no issue in Boxsters (and trust me as I have had my Boxster sitting in stop and go traffic on the beltway this summer with it at 101 degress outside). In fact, turn on the air and I was cool as a clam (well, I did have the top up too)...

The back wall behind the seat is "warm" if even that...
Old 09-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read the same comment, but none of the other reporters mentioned anything of the sort in their articles. Maybe someone forgot to turn off the heated seats again. Like other new Porsches, the Cayman has undergone thorough heat and cold testing, so such a problem is unlikely to still exist, if it ever did. I also remember reading about the Porsche rep questioning whether the engine noise might be a bit excessive inside the cockpit.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:29 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Boxster rear trunk gets warm. Comes in handy for takeout pizza.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:14 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

The engine is virtually sitting next to you in the cabin. I would think even with a little bit of heat...it would all be part of the midengine experience! Same with noise!
Old 10-04-2005, 05:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isnt a problem with MR2s. You can feel some warmth when you touch the firewall, but thats it. And the passenger side of the firewall is inches from the turbocharger.

I doubt the Cayman is going to have a problem.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:24 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Boxster trunk could hatch eggs. So could the console glove box. Throw a sun-suckin’ greenhouse on top with black interior and I think it’s quite possible there could be a lot of pissed off Cayman owners frying their asses off in warm weather. I believe it will need a cabin partition. Then again they probably insulated the aft compartment better than the Boxster trunk, and I don't think those side vents have been enlarged for looks. We'll see.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:26 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There seems to be more to this heat in the cabin issue than everyone is thinking. The November issue of Automobile has a comparison of the the Cayman S and the Carrera (997). The article talks about the fact that the there is definite heat soak into the cabin of the Cayman and that partition may be necessary for absolute comfort. However, if I remember right they indicated the A/C can handle the heat.

All this is fine but it may make for some uncomfortable driving without the AC and some great residual heat in the winter time.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:36 PM
Elusive DaveH
AutoX

Originally Posted by designman
The Boxster trunk could hatch eggs. So could the console glove box. Throw a sun-suckin’ greenhouse on top with black interior and I think it’s quite possible there could be a lot of pissed off Cayman owners frying their asses off in warm weather. I believe it will need a cabin partition. Then again they probably insulated the aft compartment better than the Boxster trunk, and I don't think those side vents have been enlarged for looks. We'll see.
There is a glass cabin partition already. Check out the Ampersand article posted by Cooches today. There is a picture of a partially retracted partition in the article but it doesn't state if it is manual or electrically activated. It is the first time anyone has mentioned this feature that I am aware of.
http://www.coochas.com/porsche/Indiv...ckcaymans.html
Old 10-06-2005, 03:12 PM
Atlas_Croc
Advanced

There is no glass partition.......just a rumor. There is an option for a luggage partition though.....

One of the latest reviews for the Cayman stated that if you let it sit idling for a very long period of time a little heat can begin to seep into the passenger compartment, but the article really didn't make a big deal about it. I'm sure that in normal driving conditions it won't be an issue, but if all you do is sit in traffic for long periods of time in a very hot climate there might be better choices.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:24 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Elusive DaveH
There is a glass cabin partition already. Check out the Ampersand article posted by Cooches today. There is a picture of a partially retracted partition in the article but it doesn't state if it is manual or electrically activated. It is the first time anyone has mentioned this feature that I am aware of.
http://www.coochas.com/porsche/Indiv...ckcaymans.html
The picture in the article is not a partially retracted partition. It is the luggage stop so that things don't move forward. It doesn't go up or down.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:43 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thought it did retract and extend...
Old 10-06-2005, 03:45 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

cp, on my elise and boxster, both had no problem with cabin heat. however, the rear trunk gets pretty hot. don't EVER put ice cream there. took me all weekend to get it cleaned out.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:03 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

I'm a little bummed you can't see the engine ala 360CS.

If owners complain about heat, it will be soooooo funny. I'de love to see the salesperson when the customer comes back upset... "Excuse me sir...are you aware you bought a car with the engine NEXT TO YOU instead of outside the cabin????"

Easy fix...AC outlet plugin-fan. Maybe a Porsche crest in the middle too.

This topic just makes me laugh.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:08 PM
Elusive DaveH
AutoX

Originally Posted by bet
The picture in the article is not a partially retracted partition. It is the luggage stop so that things don't move forward. It doesn't go up or down.
My apologies, I stand corrected. The Ampersand article is incorrect (they reference a glass partition in the text). I looked over various web pictures and clearly see the fixed restraining bar you mention. The rumored "optional partition" is actually a mesh grill that locks into place behind the seat.

You can see it here after selecting the "Transport" icon.
http://www11.porsche.com/usa/models/...etail/comfort/

Quick Reply: Hot Cabin from Engine Heat?