Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Cabin from Engine Heat?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 02:41 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

The difference between the Cayman and other mid-engine cars is that the engine normally sits "outside" the cockpit area with some sort of heat sheild in between and lots of sound deadening material, i.e. NSX. However from what I've seen of the Cayman there is no such division that would assist in maintaining the engine heat out of the cockpit.

Having said that, Porsche hopefully already thought of that and found a solution.

Only time will tell....
Old 10-07-2005, 07:40 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling that if heat were a real issue, its not something Porsche would have missed in their extensive testing.

Then again, maybe we will save a few bucks by not needing to order seat heaters.
Old 10-07-2005, 10:11 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll say it again, that on my Boxster in the middle of the summer, stop and go traffic with it 97 degrees out, the bulkhead behind the seats was "warm" and that is it!

Close the top and put on the air and you would never know!!!

The Cayman can be no worse!!! The only "hotness" on the Cayman is going to be that back window during summer acting like a green house, and Porsche now does make great AC that can overcome even this heat!!!!!
Old 08-14-2017, 09:28 PM
thunderstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just picked up 2017 718 Cayman Graphite Blue from the Porsche Experience Center, Atlanta in July. Drives like a dream, extremely fast Very happy with it. Large frunk but rear trunk is very warm after even a short drive 5 mile in 90' outside temperature. When you place hand on the rear trunk floor it is very warm even though I don't feel the temp in cabin with AC running. I think Porsche could have done a better job isolating temperature into rear trunk or rear area period.

Otherwise, very happy. Plan to do oil & filter change at 5K miles. Would appreciate a helpful link on how-to. If none can be found, I will post up one.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:26 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderstrike
Just picked up 2017 718 Cayman Graphite Blue from the Porsche Experience Center, Atlanta in July. Drives like a dream, extremely fast Very happy with it. Large frunk but rear trunk is very warm after even a short drive 5 mile in 90' outside temperature. When you place hand on the rear trunk floor it is very warm even though I don't feel the temp in cabin with AC running. I think Porsche could have done a better job isolating temperature into rear trunk or rear area period.

Otherwise, very happy. Plan to do oil & filter change at 5K miles. Would appreciate a helpful link on how-to. If none can be found, I will post up one.
This is my 7th mid engine car. Europa, Merak, 2 914s, 2 MR2s (including a turbo) and now the Cayman. No heat problems.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:59 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Is this a 12 year old thread?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:15 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yepper
Old 05-17-2018, 01:15 AM
92Roadster
AutoX

LOL, 13 years old now. I have a 97 boxster. The seat on the drivers side gets hot hot hot. No idea why. Anyone have this problem? Thanks! Any solution ideas would be welcomed too
Old 05-17-2018, 06:50 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CP
Hi,

My first thread on this forum. I'm usually on the 993 Forum.

I read somewhere (C&D I thought ) that the Caymen cabin could get hot from engine heat (mid engine location). Can anybody comment on this? Is that an issue with Boxsters?

Thanks.

CP
For what it's worth, this has never been an issue on my 2012 Cayman S.

Quick Reply: Hot Cabin from Engine Heat?