Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Cayman S pictures

Old 07-05-2005, 11:29 PM
thomas
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Cayman S pictures

Will the Cayman S have a limited-slip differential?

New pictures
Old 07-06-2005, 12:19 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the post......and no, as of yet, a limited-slip diff has not been announced for the Cayman.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:59 AM
mark34
Track Day

Is that issue on the shelves yet?
Old 07-06-2005, 11:11 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Originally Posted by thomas
Will the Cayman S have a limited-slip differential?
If we had the rear perspective from that burnout photo, we'd know for sure
Old 07-06-2005, 05:10 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LSD is not on the option list, and there has been no mention of it in the releases. I read where the tires can be spun in sport mode, and the photo seems to support that claim.
Old 07-06-2005, 07:59 PM
Advevo
Cruisin'

maybe it s only one rear tire. Thats a big laugh then.

A porsche needs an lsd. I would nt even consider buying an cayman without an lsd
Old 07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

That's what I thought back in the mid-'90s, but I admit to ignorance about it's application with the standard PSM, or the optional PASM and/or SCP in the current crop. I don't see LSD on the options list under any of the current 11 Porsche "sportscar" models/varieties, so maybe it would be redundant, or at least no longer desirable. The Croc seems to lap the ring pretty quick without LSD, so I'd not hesitate to buy a current Porsche without LSD.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:18 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
That's what I thought back in the mid-'90s, but I admit to ignorance about it's application with the standard PSM, or the optional PASM and/or SCP in the current crop. I don't see LSD on the options list under any of the current 11 Porsche "sportscar" models/varieties, so maybe it would be redundant, or at least no longer desirable. The Croc seems to lap the ring pretty quick without LSD, so I'd not hesitate to buy a current Porsche without LSD.
A real LSD is not redundant - it's essential for high-performance driving. The PSM/ABD, etc. is a lousy substitute, unless you're not pushing the car that hard (on a track). All of the best new Porsches have a real LSD (all GT2, GT3, Carrera GT, and 997S with Euro sport suspension - not available in US).
Old 07-08-2005, 06:33 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Grant: I cannot find a Euro sport suspension option listed for the 997S on the MY2006 Euro options list I have from porsche@autocarrera.com. If the LSD is essential for high-performance driving, why wouldn't Porsche offer it on cars other than the GT versions? In fact, why wouldn't it be standard? My present 911 RSA has LSD, but my previous 911 didn't. Since I can't get any new non-GT Porsche with LSD anyway, I think I'll risk getting a Croc without it.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jim - it's called -20mm lowered sport suspension.

Try this link:

http://content2.eu.porsche.com/prod/...c=carreras.nsf

The reason that it's only on the GT cars and the Euro 997S is that it doesn't work easily with the PSM and other electronic systems (the electronics want to control each rear wheel independently which the LSD prevents). None of the GT cars has PSM. Porsche first made PSM and an LSD together for the first time with the 2004 996 40th Anniversary car. It was only a 25% locking LSD, since a more aggressive LSD confounds the PSM. I think the 997S with -20mm also uses just a 25% locking ratio (compared to around 60% for the GT cars).
Old 07-08-2005, 11:37 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Grant. I think I'd prefer that 20mm lowering and sport suspension to the puny 10mm lowering and firmer dampening offered with the PASM. My RSA is lowered about 30mm with stiffer springs and Bilsteins. There's something else I need to learn about the SCP too. I read that it not only enhances engine response and raises the rev limiter, but also firms the suspension (?). It didn't say it lowered, however. I've posted some of my questions about these shared options on the 987 board earlier, but no one has responded yet. I figured that the 987 S would be the closest relative to the Cayman S, but the 987 board doesn't seem to get a lot of action.
Old 07-09-2005, 12:04 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Thanks, Grant. I think I'd prefer that 20mm lowering and sport suspension to the puny 10mm lowering and firmer dampening offered with the PASM. My RSA is lowered about 30mm with stiffer springs and Bilsteins. There's something else I need to learn about the SCP too. I read that it not only enhances engine response and raises the rev limiter, but also firms the suspension (?). It didn't say it lowered, however. I've posted some of my questions about these shared options on the 987 board earlier, but no one has responded yet. I figured that the 987 S would be the closest relative to the Cayman S, but the 987 board doesn't seem to get a lot of action.
Jim - The SCP does not lower the car. PASM is -10mm fixed. The only adjustment with PASM is the damping. Yeah, I wish they would offer the -20mm sport suspension with LSD. It's a NO COST option on the 997S in Europe - what a deal (a deal we can't even pay to have).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Cayman S pictures