Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just saw it!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 04:10 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Cayman is much better looking than 350Z IMO. Much more fluid looking not all bulky and angular. To me the 350Z has always looked to big and bulky looking. Not to mention the driving dynamics should be superior to the 350Z.

Not to mention its heavey as...
Old 06-10-2005, 10:09 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Unlike the 997, the Boxster dash layout does not include the PCM TV standard. You only get the "TV" when you check the PCM option and you only get the integrated cell phone with the PCM optioin. Heck on the Boxster an automatic climate control system is an option ($550). More than likely the Cayman will follow the same type of optioning.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:47 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by andrew911
Beautiful, but what is up with the embedded cell phone on the dash??? Take that crap out and give me some real gauges- how about an oil temperature gauge? Oil pressure? That's about my only complaint
I agree with you. I love the looks of the Cayman, but a car such as this should have more complete instrumentation. It's a disturbing trend these days--BMW has even dropped the temp gauge from their newer non-M models.

Maybe the speedo and tach will be the next to go. Instead, there'll just be a red light that goes on when an "acceptable" speed has been exceeded!
Old 06-10-2005, 11:10 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

While I agree that more instrumentation would be good. The truth is, aside from the tach, speedo, and fuel gauge, the majority of the instrumentation that is included is a joke and worthless. Take the BMW temperature gauge (or just about any car’s temperature gauge for that matter, Porsche notwithstanding). It is worthless. My wife’s 328i’s temp gauge pegs itself in the center within 2-5 minutes of startup, never to move. It doesn’t matter if you are sitting in stop and go traffic or on the highway or what the ambient temp is outside, it never moves a mm. It basically is an idiot gauge.

This is one thing I have always enjoyed about Porsche gauges. The temp gauges are actually functional. I can predict when the cooling fans will kick on by looking at where the need is on temperature gauge and then watch as the coolant cools. In the 993 you could tell when the thermostat opened up on the oil cooler as you watched the marker drop when the cold oil was introduced to the fully warm oil. You never see this type of function on most modern car gauges. You can here the cooling fans kick on idling cars but the gauge is pegged in the center. They might as well get rid of these type of gauges and put idiot lights in anyway.

The average driver does not understand that the temperature of the engine is going to vary in accordance to many variables. In fact the movement of a gauge like this might upset the average driver as he/she just wants to make sure everything is operating “normally” which is why the manufacturers build in such huge tolerance on the gauge operation.

Personally I want more gauges (functional ones) that tell me something. I like the oil pressure gauge in my 996 and think it should have been included in the Boxster. I also wish it had an oil temperature gauge.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:23 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Going by this thread, Porsche would sell a lot of club sport versions. Maybe they know better. The S version sounds perfect for me, however. For 20 years I've lived with compromised suspensions and other mods so I could drive road, autocross, and track. The Cayman S "sport" options allow one to drive to events in comfort, lower and firm-up the suspension, and enhance engine responsiveness to throttle with the touch of a button. Unfortunately, there is still no dash button to switch wheels/tires.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:37 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Michaels
Unfortunately, there is still no dash button to switch wheels/tires.

That would be great! Short of that, maybe a built in hydralic/pneumatic jack that lifts all four wheels off the ground ala F1.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:16 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Palting

maybe a built in hydralic/pneumatic jack that lifts all four wheels off the ground ala F1.
I would pay real money for this.......knowing Porsche it would be $3K though.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

$3k for an on-board hydraulic lift and you think that would be expensive? Ask an F1 engineer what it costs for one that only lifts 1200lbs.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:28 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

And actually, F1 doesn't use the hydraulics...they use front and rear manual lifts. Champ Cars, Indy Cars, Sports Cars...they use hydraulic lifts. So, truthfully, Porsche actually knows how to fit them to the 911. Cayman can't be that much harder...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:07 PM
wombat7
Three Wheelin'

wow i can't believe how good that car actually looks. It is definatley not what I expected when they first came out. I was expecting some bastardization of the 997 not this gorgeous example of Porsche engineering. I'm in the same boat with a couple other who chimed in during this thread, unless I have an unknown rich uncle die sometime soon. I won't be able to afford one for a while.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:38 PM
bikeaddict
Intermediate

I thought those jacks were pneumatic?
Old 06-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

No, he's right... I don't know what I was thinking. The F1 crews use glorified hand-trucks to lift up the cars. CART, IRL, ALMS and Grand-Am use on-board jacks though.

Quick Reply: Just saw it!