Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Cayman Photos

Old 05-23-2005, 10:53 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also smitten with the Cayman S. The styling cues are beautiful. I will definatley be taking a hard look at the Cayman S. Who wants to sell one to me?

Last edited by Sunshine; 05-24-2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: I used the same word as another post before me. I hadn't even read the post. Weird.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:15 AM
vegasgolf98
Racer

Very, very nice. Much better than all the photoshop crap out there. They did a good job keeping this quiet. Price will depend on purchase, but I'm still leaning toward the z06.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:33 AM
wahoo
Track Day

from the side it looks like a 996 turbo snout that mated with a VW ghia ***.... Maybe it'll make me smile in person....for that kinda clink it WILL be a niche car. 4k prem. leather, sport/chrono, multi func steering wheel + + + = 70k with an anemic 295hp?? I'm putting a deposit on the new E90 M3. adios.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:22 AM
K27
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanna see it in black or red
Old 05-24-2005, 02:46 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah im a little disapointed, more power lower price, people who are buying this kind of car are buying 350z's and such, at about half the price. If i wasnt going to turbo mine, id say forget it.
Might as well turbo a 968, (or heck even buy a real 968 turbo S for that kind of money)
there are alot of cars that beat the cayman in nearly every category. Why should anyone buy one? If you ask me the value Porsche crest has become inversely proportional to porsche profits
Old 05-24-2005, 05:20 AM
autobahnNY
Pro

I think it looks good and will look even better in person, but for the price??? Porsche in actuality is totally shafting its consumers and getting away with it!! When you add PASM, Sport chrono, wheels..the price starts to rise. I could see if its a totally new car, but its just a Boxster Coupe. Although I'm interested, that really bothers me. Well, this is the first phase, lets see how the Cayman S stacks up in mag testing. I wouldn't compare it to a 350Z at all..they suck on the track. The Cayman S is will be faster and better on the track tenfold.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:34 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

It looks really good! Much better than I thought... and a 295HP engine? Oh...if only they make a CS edition below 60 grand... Now that would be a sweet track car!
Old 05-24-2005, 07:59 AM
frayed
Race Car

Some of you are way too hung up on power. Based on the new Boxster S performance, and the reported changes to the Cayman over the boxster(stiffer chassis, stiffer stucture, lower weight, lower center of gravity), the Cayman will offer the driving experience of the Boxster, but amplified. Perhaps even the order of magnitude of the a C2 vs. a GT3. This car is about one thing: handling. If power is what you are after, go buy one of those new Moostangs with 400 hp. They are a bargain. Or a used Z06.

The new 987 can almost turn as fast a lap as the higher powered 997S, I reckon the Cayman will be lethal on a track and even more importantly deliver a driving experience that cannot be matched by any car, at pretty much any price save a few exotics.

As for styling, for me it's not love a first sight. But, few cars these days are (notable exception AMV8). In any event, I'd still like that clubsport/rs version that is rumored to take up a spot in my garage. Can't wait to see this car in the flesh, drive one at my dealer, and read more about it from the euro car publications.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Blade-MD
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts

Great looking car. I would still prefer the 997 for a coupe. But it is a great way to get into a Porsche without the expense of a 911. I would bet it will be sold to younger people without kids.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:53 PM
wahoo
Track Day

Originally Posted by frayed
Some of you are way too hung up on power. Based on the new Boxster S performance, and the reported changes to the Cayman over the boxster(stiffer chassis, stiffer stucture, lower weight, lower center of gravity), the Cayman will offer the driving experience of the Boxster, but amplified. Perhaps even the order of magnitude of the a C2 vs. a GT3. This car is about one thing: handling. If power is what you are after, go buy one of those new Moostangs with 400 hp. They are a bargain. Or a used Z06.

The new 987 can almost turn as fast a lap as the higher powered 997S, I reckon the Cayman will be lethal on a track and even more importantly deliver a driving experience that cannot be matched by any car, at pretty much any price save a few exotics.

As for styling, for me it's not love a first sight. But, few cars these days are (notable exception AMV8). In any event, I'd still like that clubsport/rs version that is rumored to take up a spot in my garage. Can't wait to see this car in the flesh, drive one at my dealer, and read more about it from the euro car publications.
So 65k+/- only gets you HANDLING?!? Yikes. I commend you on your undying crest passion, however, for that kind of money one could pick up a late model 996 or possibly a high mileage 997 (speculating of course) with 15k miles +/- by mid summer next year. Porsche has once again priced itself into oblivion for the people they're trying to attract...ie 'me'...early 30's, professional with decent disposable income. For the 'track stars' this may be a wet dream but for that kind of money there are other niche cars that do all that the Cayman does w/ brand status ie the '05 M3 ZCP...forget that its not a true 2 seater sports car and think about capturing new market share...NOT capturing pre-existing crest owners. Doing that will get you no where with expanding sales and don't be fooled...its ALL about sales. I was a little harsh on the aesthetics of the Cayman but it needs to drive/handle like a sand crab on meth for 60+k for a 2 seater to make sense (for me). Time will tell but I anticipate that PNA understands that this car will not unseat the Boxster for market share (IMO). Maybe one day I too can dream of having the time to track cars instead of working to pay the bills (a little dripping sarcasm is good for the soul).
Old 05-24-2005, 02:00 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wahoo
So 65k+/- only gets you HANDLING?!? Yikes. I commend you on your undying crest passion, however, for that kind of money one could pick up a late model 996 or possibly a high mileage 997 (speculating of course) with 15k miles +/- by mid summer next year. Porsche has once again priced itself into oblivion for the people they're trying to attract...ie 'me'...early 30's, professional with decent disposable income. For the 'track stars' this may be a wet dream but for that kind of money there are other niche cars that do all that the Cayman does w/ brand status ie the '05 M3 ZCP...forget that its not a true 2 seater sports car and think about capturing new market share...NOT capturing pre-existing crest owners. Doing that will get you no where with expanding sales and don't be fooled...its ALL about sales. I was a little harsh on the aesthetics of the Cayman but it needs to drive/handle like a sand crab on meth for 60+k for a 2 seater to make sense (for me). Time will tell but I anticipate that PNA understands that this car will not unseat the Boxster for market share (IMO). Maybe one day I too can dream of having the time to track cars instead of working to pay the bills (a little dripping sarcasm is good for the soul).
I think what's missing in all these discussions about power is WEIGHT. The power vs. weight factor has always been part of Porsche's advantage as a sportscar manufacturer. The current 997S is quoted a curb weight of 3,131 lbs; the 987 Boxster S at 2,965 lbs (both with manual transmissions).

For a direct comparison, the E46 M3 is quoted on BMW NA's website at 3,415 lbs using UNLADEN WEIGHT (which usually means less all fluids in a truly empty car; curb weight is usually with full fluids less the driver and passengers - someone please correct me if I'm wrong). This would mean that the E46 M3 is even heavier calculated at curb weight with fuel and full fluids on board. And while the ZCP package adds some tasty bits, it fails to REMOVE any significant weight from the car (depending on how much weight is saved with the lightweight forged 19" wheels).

For another comparison with the 350Z, the CURB WEIGHT is quoted anywhere from 3,188 to 3,299 lbs., depending on the model selected.

Since Porsche AG has yet to publish the curb weight of the Cayman S, the discussions centering around power is, IMHO, without a proper point of reference. Does anyone have a clue if the Cayman S is HEAVIER or LIGHTER than the Boxster S? While the 15 bhp difference is minor, the bigger displacement 3.4 litre motor with Variocam Plus should mean much better torque and horsepower CHARACTERISTICS when compared to the 3.2 currently found in the Boxster S.

I currently have a lightly prepared E36 M3 that I use as a track toy. I was one of the first names on the list for the E46 M3 when it was officially announced at my then local dealer. But one look at the spec sheet under the weight column left me cold and that's why I kept the E36. And just in case anyone is about to call me a Stuttgart crest snob, I think both the E46 M3 and the Nissan 350Z are brilliant cars and paragons of engineering achievements and both deserve their success in the market.

I am firmly in Colin Chapman's camp when it comes to the weight versus power argument. The weight issue is also why the Lotus Elise has been such a runaway success in Europe and has reached cult status around the world. Its former Rover K-series 4 banger was nothing to write home about when it came to power, and the Toyota powerplant it now uses isn't a bhp champion either. But, the car is such a great driving tool precisely because it lacks the factor that kills driving fun: weight.

While I am not sure that I'll be choosing/ordering a Cayman S over a 997S/AM V8 Vantage/Maserati GranSport, I am waiting to see the weight as quoted by the manufacturer and then a test drive before making up my mind. The '01 Boxster S was great fun and because I don't really like roadsters, I won't get a 987S but the Cayman S offers an intriguing alternative.

And on the topic of being a closet track junkie also in my early 30s (won't call myself a 'track star' seriously...), I am very fortunate that I do have the time to go to the track and pay the bills but I just wish I had MORE time to spend at the tracks! My work and travel schedule mean that I can only spare a few weekends a year to instruct at driving schools and track events...and this is BEFORE my wife and I have the kids! This is the biggest reason why I've now decided to dump the M3 and get another toy. The M3 is great fun on track but the coil over suspension and the other 'preparations' make it a killer to drive on the roads and my wife hates it when we take it out. Since I do not have the time to build it into a club racer like I'd originally intended, it's time to have fun again by learning to drive a new toy on the tracks and be able to enjoy it on the streets.
Old 05-24-2005, 02:57 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2948 lbs.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:20 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

Sub 3000 lbs is a great starting point, and I'm sure with some work it can be well below that. I hope the CS comes true so we get to see what kind of light weight track start the factory can make the Cayman into.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:46 PM
Berger Singerman
7th Gear

The Caymen certainly helps Porsche. The Boxster just doesn't cut it, as an alternative for the 911; its a roadster. The M3 steals potential (clueless) buyers away from the Boxster, just because of the reputation it has carried, being a roadster and only second best to the 911. The Caymen will be looked at totally different, being a coupe of its own. It will be looked at as the Gallardo is, based on the Murcielago- from the 911. You can still get a quick 2 seater, without resorting to the boxster and saving some money.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:16 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Berger Singerman
The Caymen certainly helps Porsche. The Boxster just doesn't cut it, as an alternative for the 911; its a roadster. The M3 steals potential (clueless) buyers away from the Boxster, just because of the reputation it has carried, being a roadster and only second best to the 911. The Caymen will be looked at totally different, being a coupe of its own. It will be looked at as the Gallardo is, based on the Murcielago- from the 911. You can still get a quick 2 seater, without resorting to the boxster and saving some money.
Sub 3,000 lbs!! That's so awesome! I don't know how Porsche does it while the other manufacturers seem to allow their new models to grow in EVERY dimension possible.

As for Berger's comments, I'd have to disagree that the Boxster was meant as an alternative to the 911...they're complete different beasts aimed at different market segments. I had an '01 Boxster S and I was not shopping for a 911 at that time...not even an M3. I wanted a roadster and that's the one I picked over the SLK and the Z3.

Oh and no need to be so hard on M3 buyers, they're wonderful cars in their own right and each time I've had a chance to drive a student's E46 M3 on the track, I've had a blast...except for that SMG II transmission...what a pain.

The Cayman S suits me more as I'm no longer interested in a roadster, unless then come in the shape of a F430 Spider or the Pagani Zonda S Roadster. But back to reality, I'm looking for a car to replace my M3 as the toy that I can bring to the track and yet drive home and on the streets in relative comfort. The M3 no longer fits the bill with the changes I've made so it's on to my next project. But the 997S is still very much in the picture...it's just that the Cayman looks so bloody interesting with those hips!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Official Cayman Photos