Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Cayman Photos

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 02:26 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's just OK. I've said this before... the Boxster butt and tail lamps work perfectly with the drop top. With the hardtop the lines are too busy. They should have slimmed down the hips and reduced the emphasis of the lamps. But I suppose if you are hurtin for the mid-engine coupe, yeah, your ship has come in.

I do like the line that goes from front bumper through the rocker into the vent. Don't like the ridges on top... busy, busy, busy.

You do have to see it au naturale. The art directors and photographers know how get the best from it with dramatic light.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by M Danger
ok can someone just post the interior pics cause this page isnt loading for me
I still haven't found interior pics. There's a section on the website that says interior, but it just has a shot of the seat (by itself) with verbage and a shot of the dash (by itself) with verbage. No true "interior" shots to speak of...

Of course, I could be missing something?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:38 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I still haven't found interior pics. There's a section on the website that says interior, but it just has a shot of the seat (by itself) with verbage and a shot of the dash (by itself) with verbage. No true "interior" shots to speak of...

Of course, I could be missing something?
No I haven't found any either, but I don't think it will be that much different from the Boxster. Looks like the gauge cluster has a bit of a "hump" where the tach goes though. None of the pictures I have seen shows a sunroof......wonder if it will even be an option?
Old 05-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeN
None of the pictures I have seen shows a sunroof......wonder if it will even be an option?
I don't know, but if they do it will sure be small considering how high up the roofline that hatchback goes. Still, I can't imagine them not doing it....
Old 05-23-2005, 03:08 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rkao
Then there is be the exclusivity issue: I suspect that here in the metro NY/northern NJ area, there will be a TON of these Cayman S running around within months... and possibly even outnumbering the E46 M3s that are currently out there.
Exclusivity is an elusive term (and largely a function of price). In recent years, 911s have outsold Boxsters, but the more prevalent 911 is perceived as the "exclusive" car.

With regard to Cayman, I'm not convinced they will be common. Not too many people are shopping for a $60,000+ two-seat car that's not a convertible. Most people want that extra seat. One Wall Street analyst predicted that Cayman will be a niche car, with annual sales of about 5000 units.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:34 PM
schlag
Burning Brakes

I love it. Very angry looking.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:39 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The only other interior shots I saw on the Porsche web site had a picture of the shift lever that showed what looked to be the same climate control units used in the Boxste. Also there was a picture of the climate control unit under PASM and a picture of the sport chrono.
Old 05-23-2005, 03:42 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

I don't know, but if they do it will sure be small considering how high up the roofline that hatchback goes. Still, I can't imagine them not doing it....
I own a 928......probably one of the smallest factory sunroofs ever made......more like a sun-slit instead of sunroof! Still its a nice option that Porsche may not have considered or omitted for various reasons. Look at the Audi TT coupe......no sunroof there, and I think part of Audis' reasoning was to not take sales away from the drop top.

While most may want the Cayman without a sunroof, I sure wouldn't mind having one even if it is extra.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:23 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Very nice. I think I'm going to have to get me one.

Now, can I have one without the TV screen (PCM)? Just buttons, *****, and levers that I can use by touch?
Old 05-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

You may have to order it that way, but I think I've seen Boxsters that way.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:42 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 1,006 Posts

You may have to order it that way, but I think I've seen Boxsters that way.
PCM is non-optional on 997s IIRC. I don't know about 987s.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Henriks 964
Instructor

The Cayman S is so cool! Look those hips!
The 904 is Cool too by the way....
Old 05-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Arkay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henriks 964
The Cayman S is so cool! Look those hips!
The 904 is Cool too by the way....
Oh I am so with you on those hips...they are GORGEOUS!
Old 05-23-2005, 06:32 PM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean
Exclusivity is an elusive term (and largely a function of price). In recent years, 911s have outsold Boxsters, but the more prevalent 911 is perceived as the "exclusive" car.

With regard to Cayman, I'm not convinced they will be common. Not too many people are shopping for a $60,000+ two-seat car that's not a convertible. Most people want that extra seat. One Wall Street analyst predicted that Cayman will be a niche car, with annual sales of about 5000 units.
I think Cayman will cannibalize Carrera sales and this is exactly what Porsche is expecting. I don’t see how it can be otherwise considering the way they configured and positioned it. How much is another question. If sales are hot you can kiss the C2 goodbye. The mid-engine Porsche is more than a niche car. The Boxster already proved this. Just add the power and people will be stepping on each other to get at them. Make it look more like the 911 in the future and it will seal the deal. This is more than just another model thrown randomly into the lineup. It's a marketing case study that will help them gauge their future IMO.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

I have to admit it looks pretty mean. And my wife is really smitten...

c

Quick Reply: Official Cayman Photos