Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Club Sport Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 10:58 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Personally, I don't like turbo charged cars.
Totally agree and have owned more than a few in the past. Now I'm pretty much past them......give me the smooth power delivery of a great NA engine anytime.....even if it is a bit slower than a turbo version.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:18 PM
a.k.a. Jorg Muller
1st Gear

I'm returning to the fold. I had an '02 C4S (nice rarity one with sport seats, full leather, and no sunroof) but it was a bit beyond my means (as well as the cost of attending VIR, Road Atlanta, or Roebling once a month). I had to let it go, and if what I'm reading about arrival at dealers this fall is correct I'll be back in the fold in 8 months or so. Put a deposit on a Cayman S and am #1 on the list at a local dealer. To me this will be my ideal Porsche. I had thought I'd look for a 2nd car (i.e. 87 911) but decided I cannot afford my current year old sedan and an older toy, so most likely the Cayman S will be the one car (therefore while a CS would be awesome to have, when I let the C4S go I also gave up an addictive track habit, so S w/ A/C it will be). I have tried to not think about Porsche, tried to get it out of my blood, but it just ain't possible !

(trying to get the admins to let me change my user name too, since Jorg drives for BMW now instead of Porsche when he started)
Old 07-03-2005, 09:59 PM
Ronnie
Instructor

Old 07-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks great in white. Sort of chunky.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:31 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Here is an article that was put up on the Mazda forum. It says the Cayman RS will have a tuned version of the 3.4 and will make around 340 hp. It will also be stripped out and lightened. Hmmm.. not sure how reliable that pic is, but it does make for an interesting story. If and when a RS does make it out of the factory, I wonder if they will bring it here. What is it with the US and the RS's.
Old 07-03-2005, 11:53 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by carreracup21
Here is an article that was put up on the Mazda forum. It says the Cayman RS will have a tuned version of the 3.4 and will make around 340 hp. It will also be stripped out and lightened.
That seems to be the latest rumor........only one problem I can see........Porsche would probably really jack the price up on this sucker. I would not doubt if starting price was $10k more than the the "S" version.....so that would put it right around the $70K mark, but then again this car would truly be a 911 beater at the track where the "S" version probably won't be.
Old 07-04-2005, 01:01 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A club sport version would be nice, but I want a daily driver, so reclining seats (and A/C) would be required. I would just get the S and modify the suspension. Vrooom vrooom!!!
Old 07-05-2005, 11:51 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MikeN
That seems to be the latest rumor........only one problem I can see........Porsche would probably really jack the price up on this sucker. I would not doubt if starting price was $10k more than the the "S" version.....so that would put it right around the $70K mark, but then again this car would truly be a 911 beater at the track where the "S" version probably won't be.
10k would probably be a conservative estimate. I doubt very seriously that we will see a RS imported by the factory to the US, but maybe Porsche will surprise us at last. 340 hp and 2800 lbs. or so would be a very stout performing road car. Probably near 996 GT3 performance. I'm really crossing my fingers for a full race version at around 2500 with oiling issues taken care of. I think with the soft economy in Europe and looming recession here, it would make sense for Porsche to offer such a vehicle for professional and amatuer racing that was not a 170k plus 997 GT3 Cup.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:09 PM
Advevo
Cruisin'

We need a cayman CS for less money than a cayman S.

Cheaper bucket seats less soundabsorbing material and an big RS wing. LSD AC is option, Plastic rear window. That would not cost anymore than a cayman S for porsche. If they as 10k more for this than leave at the stealers.

BMW comes with a Z4 Mcoupe next year they have to compete with them power wise and price wise.
Old 07-07-2005, 09:49 PM
DJD
Instructor

Well if interested read the new Excellence magazine, according to them NO Club SPort Version
Old 07-08-2005, 12:28 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DJD
if interested read the new Excellence magazine, according to them NO Club Sport Version
Cayman is going to be brilliant, but the factory has no incentive to sell a less expensive car that outperforms the 911.

Ruf, on the other hand, has no such marketing qualms.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:29 AM
Advevo
Cruisin'

It s all about marketing they rather let you to pay the big bucks for the 911.

The more expensive a car is the more profit they make.

Why not can a cayman CS or RS be faster than a normal 997 or 997S. Just don t make it as fast as an 997 GT3 of GT2.

I like a nimble trackcar with an lsd lower suspension lightweight and race seats for the same price as luxery cayman S version. People who buy a 997 are liking more comfort. So no problems there.

A cayman RS or CS wil not attract GT3 or GT2 buyers because they like engines in the back and straightline power. And such car will definiatly don t get buyers from a 997s and cabrio.

If they dare to ask 10k or more for a CS version then they are stealing again from youre pocket.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The word from Porsche AG at Parade was that there are no plans to ever build RS, CS, or turbo versions of the Boxster or Cayman. Such performance enhanced track/race versions will continue to be reserved for the flagship 911. I think that eventually the flagship Porsche sportscar will be mid-engined, but that may take a while. Switching to water cooling was the first major step in modernizing the 911; a mid-engine layout might be the next.
Old 07-10-2005, 09:13 PM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 77 Posts

don't always trust what Autoweek says. they need to make up some stories to keep us excited sometimes...

Quick Reply: Club Sport Cayman S