Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a non S version of this car?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 05:02 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Post Is there a non S version of this car?

Just wondering......
If there is a clubsport/RS version, then Porsche may have my attention.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:02 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They already have my attention! If they were to produce something faster than the 911S (I doubt it) then I'm on it!

Clubsport version I would guess will be faster than a 987S!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:20 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My guess is Porsche will launch the Cayman in a fashion similar to the Cayenne. That is, we'll see the performance variant (3.4L S) FIRST, then they'll follow with a base 3.2L version later.

Cayman Club Sport to come after the base 997 gets the 3.8L. (Pure speculation on my part, but consistent with past practice, as when they bumped up the 996 from 3.4 to 3.6L.)
Old 03-16-2005, 12:03 AM
ScottS
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the other sources suggest 2006 Summer ClubSport release. I put a deposit down already. We'll see.... Either way there should be some interesting alternatives to my 2002 C4S once it warranty is up..
Old 03-16-2005, 03:07 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

When I saw the Cayman, they had both S and regular versions. The look was identical - except for larger wheels on the S (if I recall correctly) and different colour brake calipers.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:07 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do we have any idea where the base version will be placed? Will it share the base Boxster motor or will the base Cayman have a similar advantage over the base Boxster the way the Cayman S appears to have over the Boxster S?

Not that I want less hp, but I can't afford an Cayman S...and won't be able to for a long time. But maybe a base Cayman...or at least a used one a lot sooner than a used S.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:14 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Great to have this board......

Here seems to be the latest poop.......and it may only be that.......

http://www.autobild.de/aktuell/neuhe...rtikel_seite=0

Looks like a base version may not be available till the end of 2006 and will have the 3.2L Boxster S engine although I believe Mr. Marangoni may know more about this.........will it be a juiced up 2.7L or a standard 3.2L ???

It *still* looks like the base version will be priced higher than a Boxster S.......which I still find appalling........not only may we have to wait for it longer but the coupe still costs more than the roadster?........Oh, I'm sorry it's different altogether........it's a Cayman.......stupid me.

If Porsche is actually showing a base model along with the S maybe it will be offered at the same time, but I have a feeling that Porsche wants to suck as many people as possible into the S to maximize profits and then release the base.......that's what they seem to like lately.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:04 PM
Moogle
Race Car

it would only make sense to have a base version as well.

if anything, porsche hasn't sunk THAT low as to just throw the S on a car for the hell of it.

as for versions higher than the S, i seriously doubt it, as that is inching VERY much into 911 territory.

i hear they are going to make a cabriolet version though
Old 03-17-2005, 08:01 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Let's see...proposed Caymen S = 300hp. Boxster S = 280. Why would you place a base Caymen between 280hp and 300hp? I would predict a next gen 2.7 motor (which may be 3.0 or 3.2?), but definitely below Boxster S power. Otherwise the "S"s will need a significant power increase to justify having an "S".

Of course that's just my guess....
Old 03-17-2005, 03:25 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
Let's see...proposed Caymen S = 300hp. Boxster S = 280. Why would you place a base Caymen between 280hp and 300hp? I would predict a next gen 2.7 motor (which may be 3.0 or 3.2?), but definitely below Boxster S power. Otherwise the "S"s will need a significant power increase to justify having an "S".

Of course that's just my guess....
Rumor has either a 2.7 260HP or a 3.2 280HP engine going in the base version of the Cayman. Now here's where it would get tricky for me.

If the base Cayman is going to have a 260HP 2.7L then would I want it at a price higher than a Boxster S??........nope, not me......not enough guts for
the price.

If the base Cayman is going to have the 280HP 3.2L then I'm interested......but will Porsche think this is too close to the "S" version? I don't know.......but I should think it would be OK given the 15 extra HP *and* the extra torque the 3.4L would have. Performance of the two would be close......but not too close.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:57 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

I could use the same analogy on price that I used on motor power...the difference between the Boxster S and Cayman S in price looks like it won't be much. So how could you slot a lower powered Cayman between them? If the 2.7 gets pumped to 260hp, I can see a base Cayman at or near Boxster S prices (that would suck, but I could see it) but I just can't imagine anybody would opt for one if it's so close in price to the Cayman S?

Personally, I'm not a power hog, so I'd prefer a lower priced base Cayman with the current 240hp 2.7 Boxster motor.

But now I'm just wishin'...
Old 03-24-2005, 01:58 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
But now I'm just wishin'...
Is that avatar Julie? Yikes!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul Marangoni
Is that avatar Julie? Yikes!
HA! I wish!

https://rennlist.com/forums/off-topic/193256-the-great-big-anne-hathaway-photo-thread.html

..oh wait, I don't mean for that to sound like I don't love my Julie! I certainly do! But she's no bombshell actress!

...oh geez, that didn't sound right either...

..shutting up now...
Old 03-28-2005, 05:29 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

A small point to conisder is that a coupe will be considerably lighter then its convertible counterpart. The base cayman, if not stuffed with extra features, making the same HP as a boxster S, will be quicker, and it will handle better, therfore justifying its higher price then the Boxster S. Now though this is valid information, most, if not all new porsche owners will do their shopping based on HP numbers, therefore Porsche could be making a marketing mistake.
~Eyal
Old 03-28-2005, 08:22 AM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The base Cayman, if not stuffed with extra features, making the same HP as a Boxster S, will be quicker, and it will handle better, therfore justifying its higher price

Just to play Devil's Advocate, one could also say that the Boxster S with the same HP will also offer a desirable convertible feature, which would justify its higher price.

With just about every example I can think of, the convertible model costs more than its coupe counterpart, even though performance is compromised by the convertible apparatus (increased weight, reduced torsional rigidity, etc.).

Porsche's strategy is either brilliant or confused... I'm just not sure which.

Quick Reply: Is there a non S version of this car?