Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 12:03 PM
AllBlack
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not to be a 911? I think it’s entitled to be called 911M or 911MR if it can out handle a 911.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:08 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's an interesting point. Alois Ruf calls the 3600S "a 911 roadster."

In reality, 911 is a brand. Almost every attribute of the "911" has changed over the years (longer wheelbase, power steering, altered roofline, water-cooling, headlights, etc.). Even engine placement hasn't been fixed--the Le Mans winning 911 GT1 was mid-engined.

A mid-engined GT3 would be an amazing car.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:25 PM
NoPorscheRightNow
Intermediate

Okay, I've been a 911 snob for years and thought the design was sacred and shouldn't be tampered with. But I think it's really funny to consider this: Imagine that the Boxster has been continually in production since 1960, having morphed from the 550 Spyder, the 718 RSK, the RS60 and RS61. Entire industries are set up to pay homage to this iconic car. Now, imagine the following announcement from Porsche about a new model: (and forgive me if you read this on another board where I posted something similar several weeks ago when someone was complaining about the new Panamera)

PORSCHE AG, STUTTGART, GERMANY
Today Porsche unveiled the long-awaited 911 Carrera, an up-market GT model the company hopes will mean larger profits and ensure their continued survival over the next decade. The design draws heavily on the legendary mid-engine Boxster, but several changes have been made to increase the 911's appeal to a broader market.

The Carrera will be longer than the Boxster. It will also be several hundred pounds heavier. And, in order to include a back seat, which the marketing department believes will double the car's potential market, the 3.6 liter engine will be located entirely behind the rear axle line.

The larger motor will make around 60hp more than its smaller sibling, and the interior will be finished in more upscale materials. Porsche expects pricing to start at $17,000 more than the Boxster S.

Would the Porsche faithful not be aghast??? A 4-seat version of our beloved Boxster with the perfect balance destroyed by an engine hanging out over the a$$ so we have room to stick a couple of crumb catchers in the new backseat!!!??? A funny thought, indeed!

Matt
Old 03-15-2005, 12:51 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Why not to be a 911? I think it’s entitled to be called 911M or 911MR if it can out handle a 911.

If that's the case why don't we call a Boxster/S a convertible 911M or 911MR. Doesn't make sense. It is was it is. A derivative of a Boxster( Boxster with a fixed hardtop).
Old 03-15-2005, 01:28 PM
Sean
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is was it is. A derivative of a Boxster

True, but they aren't calling it a Boxster either. For some reason, Porsche is choosing to create a whole new brand for the car.

I suspect there's an element within PAG that ackowledges the benefits (dare I say superiority) of the mid-engine platform for performance driving. But tradition and marketing dictate that the 911, as cash cow, must reign supreme.

I don't really care what they call it. I just hope they fully exploit the mid-engined coupe platform. If calling a dry sump, 3.8L mid-engine coupe a "911" keeps the marketing folks happy, then so be it. So long as they build the car!
Old 03-15-2005, 01:38 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

True, but they aren't calling it a Boxster either. For some reason, Porsche is choosing to create a whole new brand for the car.

The name is for marketing reasons, but we all know what it is.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:55 PM
AllBlack
4th Gear

Technically it will never be a boxster (Boxer engine+roadster) so it might as well join the 911 family. To me 911 had died after 964 so might as well give it a new start with mid engine 911. Yea a 3.8 dry sump will be exciting.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AllBlack
Technically it will never be a boxster (Boxer engine+roadster) so it might as well join the 911 family. To me 911 had died after 964 so might as well give it a new start with mid engine 911. Yea a 3.8 dry sump will be exciting.
Why do consider the 911 to be dead after the 964? I could see the argument for after the 993 but why after the 964? The 993 and 964 are very closely related. The same can't be said for the 996 and any of the cars prior to it.

3.8l dry sump mid engine....now we are talking. Heck I would be happy with a 3.4l dry sump with a sub 2800 lbs. curb weight.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:05 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Technically it will never be a boxster (Boxer engine+roadster) so it might as well join the 911 family.
You are being literal by stressing the name (boxer+roadster). Technically of course its not a Boxster cause its name the Cayman. Sounds like a personal thing, more a less you want it to be in the 911 family. Technically they all are (including the Boxster) from the same family. Let me ask you this. So why are you and myself posting on the Cayman in the Boxster forum? Not only is it a Boxster derivative, it shares the same hood, headlamps, front fenders, doors, and most of all the Boxster rear arches/hips and taillights.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:08 PM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by autobahnNY
...So why are you and myself posting on the Cayman in the Boxster forum?
John D! We need a Cayman forum!
Old 03-15-2005, 03:08 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

Oh yes, forgot the most essential thing it shares...mid-engine.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:10 PM
autobahnNY
Pro

John D! We need a Cayman forum!
lol
Old 03-15-2005, 11:43 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Look what thread got moved into it's own forum!
Old 03-16-2005, 12:07 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NoPorscheRightNow
Okay, I've been a 911 snob for years and thought the design was sacred and shouldn't be tampered with. But I think it's really funny to consider this: Imagine that the Boxster has been continually in production since 1960, having morphed from the 550 Spyder, the 718 RSK, the RS60 and RS61. Entire industries are set up to pay homage to this iconic car. Now, imagine the following announcement from Porsche about a new model: (and forgive me if you read this on another board where I posted something similar several weeks ago when someone was complaining about the new Panamera)

PORSCHE AG, STUTTGART, GERMANY
Today Porsche unveiled the long-awaited 911 Carrera, an up-market GT model the company hopes will mean larger profits and ensure their continued survival over the next decade. The design draws heavily on the legendary mid-engine Boxster, but several changes have been made to increase the 911's appeal to a broader market.

The Carrera will be longer than the Boxster. It will also be several hundred pounds heavier. And, in order to include a back seat, which the marketing department believes will double the car's potential market, the 3.6 liter engine will be located entirely behind the rear axle line.

The larger motor will make around 60hp more than its smaller sibling, and the interior will be finished in more upscale materials. Porsche expects pricing to start at $17,000 more than the Boxster S.

Would the Porsche faithful not be aghast??? A 4-seat version of our beloved Boxster with the perfect balance destroyed by an engine hanging out over the a$$ so we have room to stick a couple of crumb catchers in the new backseat!!!??? A funny thought, indeed!

Matt
Thats true, and im a 911 hater
Course when i think of the boxster i think 914, not 550
Old 03-16-2005, 12:57 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Boxster sales suck and I think the Gayman will have an initial surge followed by a deep lull in US sales. Basically, if you want an entry level porsche, most would get the boxster and if you're willing to spend a little more, go for the real deal, the 911.
Porsche has tried many a entry level coupe in the past, none did well sales wise and none survived. Why should this be any different?

Quick Reply: Cayman S