Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:06 AM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

OK, I'll be the bad guy.

I'm not too keen on a Boxster coupe, particularly if they are going to continue to position it below a 911. The Boxster was designed from the ground up as a convertible, and it looks great as a convertible. The 911 was a coupe even from long ago, and the cab looks.....well......like an afterthought. There isn't much of a price spread between the Boxster S and a Carrera, and PAG has declared that the Cayman (boy, that name sucks) will be positioned both in price and assuming performance between the Boxster and the 911.

Given the above, there's only one simple conclusion for me. Want a Porsche convertible? Get the Boxster. Want a coupe? Get the 911.

As always, that's IMHO. I'll put on a flame suit anyways .
Old 02-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not the only one who feels that way. There's an interesting thread on the Pelican board about the new car here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=207879

Not many fans there, either. Too bad, I think it'll be a kick *** car. ..bad name notwithstanding.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 AM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
Given the above, there's only one simple conclusion for me. Want a Porsche convertible? Get the Boxster. Want a coupe? Get the 911.

As always, that's IMHO. I'll put on a flame suit anyways .
There's only one problem with that theory.......I don't want to pay the extra $15k for the base 911. There are tons of people who want a more affordable coupe from Porsche........I don't like roadsters at all.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeN
There's only one problem with that theory.......I don't want to pay the extra $15k for the base 911. There are tons of people who want a more affordable coupe from Porsche........I don't like roadsters at all.
No, the price diff will not be $15K. Remember, this Cayman will be priced between th Boxster S at $53K and the C2 at $70K. Estimate price diff would be $7-8K.

And, let's face it. Any car that costs upwards of $50K would not be in the "affordable" category. That $7-8K diff, spread out over several years payment by loan or by lease payments, won't seem so big once anyone starts looking at cars in this price range.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:04 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

No, the price diff will not be $15K. Remember, this Cayman will be priced between th Boxster S at $53K and the C2 at $70K. Estimate price diff would be $7-8K.

And, let's face it. Any car that costs upwards of $50K would not be in the "affordable" category. That $7-8K diff, spread out over several years payment by loan or by lease payments, won't seem so big once anyone starts looking at cars in this price range.
Your original comment was......

"Want a Porsche convertible? Get the Boxster. Want a coupe? Get the 911."

Well there most certainly is a $17K difference between the Boxster S and the base 911.......those were the two you meant.....right??

No, I don't want to pay $70K for a 911 at this point, it's not worth it to me. What's wrong with Porsche coming out with a lower than 911 priced coupe?.....and if it's fully based on the Boxster it should be priced in the same range as the Boxster.

Even with a $50K car I'm not stupid enough to fork over another $7k just because Porsche thinks I should. Maybe some will.......I won't.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:55 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The latest unofficial shots look quite different from the masked spyshots we've been seeing. The aft roofline is continuous where the previous spyshots show a break in the curve. Also the hips look smoothed out a bit which is beneficial to the design. The big hips look good on the drop top, not so on the coupe.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:39 AM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeN
Buy a Boxster S, buy the optional hard top, put it on all the time, then this is your cheap Porsche coupe. The total price you pay will be cheaper than the Cayman.
The price difference between the Cayman and 997 base will be 10K at most, and I am more than willing to get the 997 instead.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:23 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must admit the boxster coupe idea sounded good to me - I weanted a hot one, light weight, get the 3,6 engine in there and it could be serious fun.

However I can't see myself driving around in a "cay-man-***" as its sure to be known shortly.
Cross me off the list of potential customers just because of the name !!!

What was wrong with "Boxster coupe"?

If they say you couldn't use boxster because it was derived from roadster then

boxer + coupe = "Boxer C", "Boxcoupe", "Boxscoupe", Edsel, Ferdinand, Baron,

...gimmy some help here !!
should we send a petition to Porsche?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I still like GTS....
Old 02-25-2005, 10:57 AM
designman
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always thought "Boxster" was lame. And "Cayenne" seems totally out of place. Actually I think Cayman and Cayenne should trade names. "Cay-man-***" is a sretch... I think it will be referred to simply as Cayman. But we have to get past the names. They don't mean squat.

BMW should have named the 1-series "Beavis".
Old 02-25-2005, 01:25 PM
MikeN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Buy a Boxster S, buy the optional hard top, put it on all the time, then this is your cheap Porsche coupe. The total price you pay will be cheaper than the Cayman.
The price difference between the Cayman and 997 base will be 10K at most, and I am more than willing to get the 997 instead.
Why *should* I have to buy a roadster to put a hardtop on it? Why can't Porsche build a coupe that costs that same as the Boxster?? I don't want a "cheap" Porsche as you say.......just a decently priced coupe. Kinda like asking you why you got a "cheap" Cayenne S instead of turbo?? Probably because you didn't wan't it, need it, or afford it.........same here with me and the 911/Cayman debate.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:00 PM
BenPatient
Track Day

that first photo is just a 911 with some boxster touches "thrown on."

Notice how long the rear side windows are? This is a mid-engine car not a rear engine car, right? I can't wait to see this thing because it just might be exactly what I'm looking for.

If history is any guide, they will release a non-S version of it in 6-10 months like they did with the SUV.

boxster starts at 43,800...911 starts at 69,300. That's almost 27,000 dollars difference...essentially half again the price...not exactly something you can "hide through financing."

If you are looking to get a porsche, but don't have any desire to get a convertible, then you've been waiting for this for a long time.

This year we get the 295 hp S version, and next year we get the as-of-yet unannounced 265 hp "regular" cayman with 17" rims and no PSM or something to help make up for the otherwise negligible differences. The cayman will by its very nature be more solid and at the same time lighter than the boxster. It is going to be something quite different from a 911.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:34 PM
mbr129
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought I had read a couple of months back that the "base" Cayman (or C7 at the time) would basically be a Boxster S coupe. And the C7S, or Cayman S now, would have a more powerful engine. That all makes sense.

So, let's pretend that things do happen that way and in 2 years one can basically get a Boxster S coupe (Cayman) for the same price as the Boxster S (but with better performance since it will be a lighter, more rigid car), or you can pay more, say 8-10K more, and get a more powerful car with a few more options thrown in, like 19" wheels and PASM.

Would that really be that crazy? After all, what does a 997S offer for 10K more than a base 997 other than the engine and a couple of options?

Whatever the 997S has over a base 997 is probably what the Cayman S will have over a Cayman. And since a base Cayman will really be a Boxster S coupe, is it nuts for Porsche to ask more for the Cayman S than the Boxster S?

They *should* charge less for a coupe than for a convertible, but this is Porsche, they charge more for performance, period. And ceteris paribus, a coupe will be a better perfermer than its cabrio version.

They should have introduced the base Cayman first in my opinion. Then they could have charged the same as the Boxster S, probably make more money (since a coupe is cheaper to make than a cabrio) and it would have been faster than a Boxster S. Everyone would love it. Then they could have offered the even higher-performing Cayman S for another 8-10K and people would have had no problems with it.

Just poor marketing and a horrendous name.

Last edited by mbr129; 02-25-2005 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

I actually think it was luck and happenstance that the Boxster came ot as a convertible first. Before the Boxster, Porsche was dying. The Boxster, a cheaper Porsche, mid-engine, fun, sport-about convertible saved the company. It appealed to a whole new market totally separate from the 911 market. The coup, I think, would have been too close to the 911 and would not have had the same result. Taking the lesson learned that other markets want the Porsche marque, Porsche then further broadened their base with the Pepper. Now, they are trying to fill in the gaps with the Lizard.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:12 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Want a Porsche convertible? Get the Boxster. Want a coupe? Get the 911.
Want a great handling car that looks amazing? Get the Cayman.

Quick Reply: Cayman S