Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gt owner input requested

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2020, 12:57 PM
M. Ryan Humphris
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gt owner input requested

I am in the mid stages of deciding which path I want to go down for my first gt car.

I have finalized my decision down to a 997 gt3 and a 981 gt4

both can be had for roughly the same money at this point since I’m not looking at an RS

the gt4 is a bit small for my stature, although I could make it work.

the gt3 is still a dream car for me and I absolutely need/want a manual

for those that have owned or driven both, especially in autocross I’d love your input.

​​​​​​​
Old 12-28-2020, 10:56 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Well. I owned a 981S with manual, PTV, PASM, etc for 5 years. Loved it, but biggest complaint I had about the car was the super super long gearing. Porsche really screwed up when setting up the gearing on these cars. Other “complaint” is that the chassis was so competent and planted that the car felt slightly sterile at times. Otherwise the 981 looks are incredible. The cabin is borderline small.

I drove several GT4’s. They never really lit me up. Frankly the 981 GT4 was a bit faster than my 3.4 with the same exact terrible gear ratios. When driving them they did not scream to me “This is worth 100-110k”. Especially when my 981 was like 74k MSRP when new.

A family member owns a 997.2 RS. It’s a serious sense of occasion. Short gearing. Lots of noise vibration and harshness. 25 mph is fun.

I was chasing down 991.2 GT3 manual allocations for a while. Finally I drove the Carrera T and really liked the overall package and ordered one. Still have it and it is an incredibly fun car to drive. Closest thing to a GT3 I have driven and honestly more impressive in many ways on the street.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:29 PM
M. Ryan Humphris
Instructor

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Well. I owned a 981S with manual, PTV, PASM, etc for 5 years. Loved it, but biggest complaint I had about the car was the super super long gearing. Porsche really screwed up when setting up the gearing on these cars. Other “complaint” is that the chassis was so competent and planted that the car felt slightly sterile at times. Otherwise the 981 looks are incredible. The cabin is borderline small.

I drove several GT4’s. They never really lit me up. Frankly the 981 GT4 was a bit faster than my 3.4 with the same exact terrible gear ratios. When driving them they did not scream to me “This is worth 100-110k”. Especially when my 981 was like 74k MSRP when new.

A family member owns a 997.2 RS. It’s a serious sense of occasion. Short gearing. Lots of noise vibration and harshness. 25 mph is fun.

I was chasing down 991.2 GT3 manual allocations for a while. Finally I drove the Carrera T and really liked the overall package and ordered one. Still have it and it is an incredibly fun car to drive. Closest thing to a GT3 I have driven and honestly more impressive in many ways on the street.
thank you, I have been enjoying my e92 m3 ZCP 6MT and also test drove a few different 981gts the pdk version was super boring to me, and the manual was only fun when I kept the revs all the way up

hoping next summer I can drive a 997 gt3 so I can see.
Old 12-29-2020, 03:24 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

No problem. We are living in a sea of boring fast cars right now driven by people who enjoy bench racing and comparing lap times. Different cars light us up differently.

The PDK 981 cars were perhaps the most boring Porsche sports cars I ever drove. I had a boxster S in PDK for a week as a loaner and test drove a few Caymans and they all felt the same way. BUT, I am not a PDK guy at all. My 944 is more fun, for me at least.

Old 12-29-2020, 04:34 PM
maspirito
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 42 Posts

I have driven a GT 4 on the track, I have a GT3 and track and 944 with 525 hp LS three. For the money I agree with the other poster that the Carrera T is a great option.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:13 PM
tripedal
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't speak to owning / driving a GT car in autocross, but my first impression is that an autocross is not what GT cars are made for. As others have stated the gearing on the GT4s is notoriously long (not sure about the new one, but certainly the 981) which may not suit autox, and the thought of thrashing a GT3 in autox somehow seems "wrong" to me! These cars shine on an open track where they can stretch their legs.....a built miata/s2000/similar is what I'd do for autox, and leave the GT cars for the track and open road
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021, 02:05 AM
monochrom3
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 99 Posts

I owned both cars back-to-back. The GT4 is a more refined (less raw) version of the 997 GT3. The GT3 is louder, more aggressive. The GT4 is easier to drive and of course more balanced with the mid engine. I felt that the gearing was pretty close between the two, so I wouldn’t make that a deal breaker if your deciding between those two cars. Can’t go wrong with either IMO
Old 01-02-2021, 11:38 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
We are living in a sea of boring fast cars right now driven by people who enjoy bench racing and comparing lap times. Different cars light us up differently.
The PDK 981 cars were perhaps the most boring Porsche sports cars I ever drove. I had a boxster S in PDK for a week as a loaner and test drove a few Caymans and they all felt the same way.
BUT, I am not a PDK guy at all.
Different cars light us up differently - this is very true.

The PDK 981 cars were perhaps the most boring Porsche sports cars I ever drove.
Certainly not the first time I've heard someone say this about the PDK n' I'm always perplexed by these comments.

I agree that driving the PDK in Standard Drive mode is boring.
But Standard Drive mode is Porsches' answer to gas milage/efficiency and emission control standards.

You realize you can drive the PDK in Manual Mode and control the shift points to your liking ..right?
IMO Manual Mode is the only way to drive the PDK.

There's nothing boring about down-shifting at speed in the middle of a turn ..feeling and hearing the rev-match/auto-blip.
Then punching off with an up-shift coming out the back side of the turn. It's a total gas!
(it appears to rub out the rear tires at an accelerated rate, but it sure is fun!)
Don't do that in a manual transmission car . (unless highly skilled..which I am not).

Originally Posted by tripedal
Can't speak to owning / driving a GT car in autocross, but my first impression is that an autocross is not what GT cars are made for. As others have stated the gearing on the GT4s is notoriously long (not sure about the new one, but certainly the 981) which may not suit autox, and the thought of thrashing a GT3 in autox somehow seems "wrong" to me! These cars shine on an open track where they can stretch their legs.....a built miata/s2000/similar is what I'd do for autox, and leave the GT cars for the track and open road
These cars shine on an open track where they can stretch their legs - +1 on that!
I would add that its necessary to open 'em up once in a while. They need it.

I don't really understand the complaints about the "long gearing" of the GT4 (or any other car for that matter). You don't have to drive it to the top of every gear.
Choose your shift points and go.. just don't bog out the engine or stall.

Here's a gearing comparison:

Viper (Tremec 6060) / GT4
====================
1st - 60 mph / 52 mph
2nd - 90 mph / 85 mph
3rd - 135 mph / 121 mph

For the most part, they're pretty close. There are definite advantages to this kind of gearing ..even on the street.
Old 01-02-2021, 06:42 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

I've owned and tracked both of them. Custom ordered the GT4 planning for it to be a keeper. Great car but did not find it as engaging and fun as the GT3 (or Cayman R). GT4 was easier to live with as a daily but if I were to do it again I'd get a 997 GT3. Probably will one day. That engine...
Old 01-02-2021, 11:28 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Different cars light us up differently - this is very true.

The PDK 981 cars were perhaps the most boring Porsche sports cars I ever drove.
Certainly not the first time I've heard someone say this about the PDK n' I'm always perplexed by these comments.

I agree that driving the PDK in Standard Drive mode is boring.
But Standard Drive mode is Porsches' answer to gas milage/efficiency and emission control standards.

You realize you can drive the PDK in Manual Mode and control the shift points to your liking ..right?
IMO Manual Mode is the only way to drive the PDK.

There's nothing boring about down-shifting at speed in the middle of a turn ..feeling and hearing the rev-match/auto-blip.
Then punching off with an up-shift coming out the back side of the turn. It's a total gas!
(it appears to rub out the rear tires at an accelerated rate, but it sure is fun!)
Every time I drove a PDK car I shifted manually for the most part (as I do my M40i daily). I actually prefer the ZF trans in my BMW to the PDK.

Like I said. I am a manual guy. So for me, on the street, a clutch pedal is what I am looking for.

What killed me at one point is after I owned my 981 manual for a couple years I ended up with a 981 PDK car for basically a week. I drove it every day and it just re-affirmed my tastes.

What’s strange is I also had a Panamera GTS loaner at one point. PDK, rear wheel drive. Probably the most enjoyable PDK car I ever drove. The worst by far was a Cayenne hybrid something. Yuck.

As long as Porsche keeps making both and letting us all pick what makes us happy, life is good!
Old 05-21-2024, 02:14 PM
BrokerGT3
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Avg I have been seeing is in the $60's
Old 05-21-2024, 02:19 PM
M. Ryan Humphris
Instructor

Wow this post aged well.

I did end up buying a 981 gt4 and then went to a 991.1 GT3.

Now I am back to just looking at a base cayman to put around in, since i am in full build of a track bmw with an LS engine. Funny how times change and don't at the same time.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:22 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like a busy 4 years. At least you are having fun. Good luck with the build
Old 05-25-2024, 07:44 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by M. Ryan Humphris
Wow this post aged well.

I did end up buying a 981 gt4 and then went to a 991.1 GT3.

Now I am back to just looking at a base cayman to put around in, since i am in full build of a track bmw with an LS engine. Funny how times change and don't at the same time.
Yes, aged well accept the cost difference between GT4 and 997.2 GT3 today! I have as much fun tracking my 981 PDK as the GT3. Both are great cars.
Old 05-27-2024, 02:35 AM
Aaron502
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Talking about comparisons and tastes changing. I sold a pristine (all maintenance completed) lotus Esprit V8 with 25k miles… to.. wait for it…. Buy a much less expensive 2014 Boxster base with pdk.. ripped out the leather and put ‘custom upholstered ‘73 tartan RS fabric seats and a TWL carbon ducktail. It was not a money thing just a complete crazy enthusiast of the platform thing. Love every minute paddle shifting and listening to my flat 6. The flat plane crank V8 was pretty damn awesome I must say though.

Quick Reply: Gt owner input requested