Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LN Engineering PDK oil water exchanger experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 11:37 AM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
I have the 3rd rad (oem on 987S pdk) upgraded to CSF Race, the GT3 smile vent,
Do you have a build thread anywhere or more details on this? Did you tilt the radiator and add ducting to vent the air out the top, or just normal default 3rd radiator installation plus the GT3 smile vent? I'm getting ready to add the 3rd radiator on my 987.2 base, and have the GT3 smile kit, and wondering whether to put it on even I vent the radiator downwards. (I do like the like and if it has benefits even with stock 3rd radiator placement, then so much for the better )

Thanks

Steve
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
Do you have a build thread anywhere or more details on this? Did you tilt the radiator and add ducting to vent the air out the top, or just normal default 3rd radiator installation plus the GT3 smile vent? I'm getting ready to add the 3rd radiator on my 987.2 base, and have the GT3 smile kit, and wondering whether to put it on even I vent the radiator downwards. (I do like the like and if it has benefits even with stock 3rd radiator placement, then so much for the better )

Thanks

Steve
No build thread. Default 3rd rad install plus GT3 smile vent. Of note, my car is a pdk so there are cutouts on the horizontal portion of the bumper cover (underneath). If your car is not pdk you may need to look into cutting those holes in your bumper cover
Old 07-18-2019, 07:54 PM
duffin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
As far as the axle spacer, the description on the store explains it best:

This axle spacer kit alleviates the added stresses put onto the axle with the additional camber and track width that comes with race alignment adjustments. The output shaft, that is only help in by a wire clip, will pull out of the transmission. This can tear the seal causing intermix of the PDK and gear fluid, and also disengage the differential. This can cause serious damage on track.

https://lnengineering.com/products/b...pacer-kit.html
Charles, given I'm installing the X73 suspension that lowers the car -20mm, and then doing an alignment with FRONT -2.2 to 2.3 Camber + toe @ 0 / REAR -2.0 -2.1 + toe-in @ 1-2mm, do you still recommend the axel spacer for 90% street/ 10% track?
A 'nice to have' or 'great insurance' against tearing the seal?
Old 07-29-2019, 12:13 PM
Andy9015
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lowering the car does not necessitate the need for the axle spacer. The sole requirement comes from track width increase using GT3 lower control arms and adding multiple spacers to gain camber. Certain aftermarket companies address this issue by utilizing an eccentric offset sleeve that adds in a couple degrees of camber into the rear strut and knuckle assembly, while others utilize a straight through design that requires adding many shims to the lower control arm which increases the track width.

As a general rule of thumb we recommend using this Axle Spacer Kit at over 2.8 degrees of camber with GT3 lower control arms. If you have any questions or have previously experienced the long side axle shaft pull out of the differential we recommend calling the shop and discussing the application as we may have a better fix or there could be multiple other underlying issues causing this problem.

The main issue arises from the axle shaft having a limited range of travel and operating angles. While the operating angles are fine with cars raised for rally use to down below 70mm ride heights the main constraint is the travel built into the CV joints. There are many items that contribute to this problem including hydraulic transmission mounts that allow the drive train to move laterally within the chassis under heavy G force loading. Stock tires typically do not offer enough traction to reach these levels of side loading. When upgrading to a 200 tw or race type tire you have well exceeded the initial engineering standpoint for the OEM mounts. We recommend either a billet type mount or a semi-solid mount that is serviceable. This helps control the additional movement in the drive train and removes a substantial amount of extra unaccounted for travel in the axle shafts.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:18 PM
Andy9015
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duffin
Great! If I am installing PDK cool and PDK billet pan, what quantity Driven DCT should I order?
Originally Posted by steved0x

Thanks

Steve
If you go with the GT3 top exit front bumper make sure to block off the bottom OEM exits on the front bumper. Part of the advantage of the GT3 is diverting the 200*+ air exiting the center radiator to the top of the car and not under it where it preheats the air that is supposed to be cooling the engine compartment.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:55 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy9015
Lowering the car does not necessitate the need for the axle spacer. The sole requirement comes from track width increase using GT3 lower control arms and adding multiple spacers to gain camber. Certain aftermarket companies address this issue by utilizing an eccentric offset sleeve that adds in a couple degrees of camber into the rear strut and knuckle assembly, while others utilize a straight through design that requires adding many shims to the lower control arm which increases the track width.

As a general rule of thumb we recommend using this Axle Spacer Kit at over 2.8 degrees of camber with GT3 lower control arms. If you have any questions or have previously experienced the long side axle shaft pull out of the differential we recommend calling the shop and discussing the application as we may have a better fix or there could be multiple other underlying issues causing this problem.

The main issue arises from the axle shaft having a limited range of travel and operating angles. While the operating angles are fine with cars raised for rally use to down below 70mm ride heights the main constraint is the travel built into the CV joints. There are many items that contribute to this problem including hydraulic transmission mounts that allow the drive train to move laterally within the chassis under heavy G force loading. Stock tires typically do not offer enough traction to reach these levels of side loading. When upgrading to a 200 tw or race type tire you have well exceeded the initial engineering standpoint for the OEM mounts. We recommend either a billet type mount or a semi-solid mount that is serviceable. This helps control the additional movement in the drive train and removes a substantial amount of extra unaccounted for travel in the axle shafts.
The LN website says to install only one spacer onto the driver side but other suppliers sell both sides as a kit. Which one is correct?
Old 08-06-2019, 03:42 PM
MichaelofGF
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by badabing
I have the 3rd rad (oem on 987S pdk) upgraded to CSF Race, the GT3 smile vent, the BGB air/oil diff cooler and most recently this LN engineering PDK cooler.

I also have Fabspeed race headers installed.

Car is a 2010 Cayman S PDK.

I installed everything myself except the LN cooler. The shop I used never installed one before but said it was straight forward. Charged me 6 hours but I think it should have been 4 or 5.

I don't have a way to monitor temps so can't really say what the difference is lol.

I'm faster on track because my wallet is lighter.
Both BGB and LN PDK coolers? I see you installed the BGB diff cooler first. What was your experience with this mod? Were you not happy with the results from the BGB install? Why did you then feel it necessary to add the LN cooler? I realize one is intended to cool the clutch package while the other cools the diff. Why did you feel the need to do both?
Old 08-12-2019, 04:23 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

I have no way of measuring the trans temps and I am chasing a problem with my pdk that I thought might be temp/heat related so I just threw more cooling at it.

If I had to do it again, I would buy the LN Engineering solution for both sides (diff and clutches).

In this case I think it's a cleaner install and water to oil is better than air to oil.
Old 08-17-2019, 01:41 PM
duffin
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy9015

So, if I’m running X73 suspension with aftermarket toe links and 2.0 camber on a 981 Cayman S, I do not need any spacer to protect the input shaft seal?

Quick Reply: LN Engineering PDK oil water exchanger experience?