Sponsored by: APR

Who Has Gone From a 911 to GT4?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 08:56 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts
Default Who Has Gone From a 911 to GT4?

After seeing and driving a GT4 today, it has peaked my interest. The only thing I do not like about the Caymans in general are the rears, tail lights specifically. The car felt more agile, balanced and just as fast as my 911.1 S, I know they have the same engine. The shifter felt great and the throws were very short. The whole thing was just so good. I’m wondering how many people have moved from a 911 to a GT4 and what’s the feedback about your decision.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:43 PM
JC Lacayo
Pro

Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Do it. Once you buy it, the tail lights will grow on you and then it will be the best looking tail you see. It is more agile and more balanced;
My only experience was switching back and forth from a 987 CS and 996tt--so not quite the same as the modern comparison you're making. I've always felt the same engine in either car, and the Cayman wins.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:15 PM
txhokie4life
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts

I've been looking for a drive to the track car. I used to own a Boxster S that I modded for the track with improved engine oiling and a better suspension, unfortunately I sold it.
I now race Spec Boxster, but once again I'm looking to augment my tow to the track cars with a drive to the track one.

I've been considering modded 996TT, or stock 996 GT3 or 997 GT3. I really don't want to go down the route of modifying a Boxster again.

I hadn't really considered at GT4 until most folks asked me why I wasn't looking considering all the seat time I have in the Boxster mid-engine platform.

So if I'm looking for a GT4 -- what modifications are required for track use. (like oil sump, baffle, whatever)

One of the reasons I was looking at the 996TT and GT3's was the more or less bullet proof Metzger engines.

thanks,

Mike
Old 06-26-2019, 08:50 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

There is a track wiki thread in the GT4 sub forum. It's a little dated now but still has good info. As far as reliability goes, there is very little to worry about. No oiling mods needed and overall the 9A1 has been very reliable. There has been an issue with 3rd gear breaking but Porsche is addressing it. Mine was fine but the trans was replaced under a Porsche campaign. There are some limitations in the suspension adjustability especially in the rear. I needed rear toe arms (Tarett) to get neg 2 deg camber. Added shims in the front, caster was still ok.

Quick Reply: Who Has Gone From a 911 to GT4?