Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Center Radiator Leak

Old 04-13-2019, 02:31 PM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Center Radiator Leak

So I have a leak where the radiator connects to center radiator on the passenger side. Any ideas what I can do? Thanks guys!

Sad leak
Old 04-15-2019, 11:42 AM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

I went ahead and pulled that little hose. It has a part number on it. So ordered a new hose. Hopefully that is the only problem.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:39 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

That is what I was going to suggest. You can also just order the o ring instead of the whole hose.

How are you going to refill the system?

You likely need to drain the entire system and use an airlift device to refill otherwise you will have air pockets and overheating issues.

Believe me. I know.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:57 PM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

oh crap. I have no idea. Was going to top off. Pulling the hose yielded about 2 cups of fluid. Guess I will be looking for a guide on that. (hint hint).

Will this work (found using the Google)

Here is a writeup that Pedro did on the PPBB site. (the same directions are written up in the Bentley Manual).

• Start with a cold engine.
• Remove both caps (oil and coolant).
• Pull bottom plastic cover out (using a spatula lift one edge and pull out).
• Lift bow on bleeder valve. Screw oil cap on again.
Note:
On Tiptronic vehicles, the pneumatically operated coolant shutoff valve (flat-seat-valve) must be opened for the bleeding process. The electric switch-over valve must be switched off for this purpose.
Triggering can be performed with the PST-2 or PIWIS, or by pulling out the Tiptronic control module fuse B1 with the ignition switched off.
• Check whether coolant shutoff valve is open.
• Fill reservoir with coolant up to the bottom edge of the filler neck.
• Run the engine at idle and top off with coolant until no more coolant flows into the cooling system when the engine is revved moderately. (Coolant level now at the lower edge of the filler neck) The coolant temperature must not exceed 80 degrees Celsius; proceed directly to the next step if necessary.
• Close the reservoir and warm the engine up to operating temperature at an engine speed of 2,500 rpm until the thermostat opens (approximately after 10 minutes). Coolant temperature should now be 90 degrees Celsius.
• Check: The radiator supply lines and return lines in the front wheel housings must be hot.
• Allow the engine to run another 5 minutes at 2,500 rpm. Every 30 seconds, briefly rev the engine to 5,000 rpm. This is important for proper bleeding.
Note:
The level warning light can light up during the bleeding process (reset by restarting the engine). Interrupt the procedure if the coolant level is below the "MIN" mark. Open the reservoir with extreme caution and allow overpressure to escapeuntil the coolant level reaches the lower edge of the filler neck; top off with coolant if necessary. Again, intermitently rev the engine for 5 minutes.
• Allow engine to run at idle speed until any activated radiator fans switch off again. Then switch off the engine. Open reservoir cap with extreme caution until the reservoir is depressurized (danger of scalding!).
• Top up coolant expansion tank until level reaches lower edge of filler neck (cold, this corresponds to = "MAX").
• Reposition bow on bleeder shutoff valve. Unscrew cap.
• Put on cover and body seal. Screw on both caps.
• Reactivate ATF shut-off valve on Tiptronic vehicles.

Last edited by no1tmorrow; 04-15-2019 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 04-22-2019, 02:35 PM
no1tmorrow
Intermediate

Hey guys.... Anyone tried that method for burping the coolant system?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Center Radiator Leak