Sponsored by:

718 Options Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:20 PM
Steve48
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts
Default 718 Options Question

Hi everyone, after a decade of driving BMW M cars, I have finally decided to get into a 718 S this year. I’m not in a hurry and will wait for the right car and spec. The whole options decision is honestly overwhelming for this noob. Can I get some thoughts on the most essential options for daily driving and for down the road resale value? From what I can tell, Sport chrono, PASM, and sport seats are must haves? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:49 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 709 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve48
Hi everyone, after a decade of driving BMW M cars, I have finally decided to get into a 718 S this year. I’m not in a hurry and will wait for the right car and spec. The whole options decision is honestly overwhelming for this noob. Can I get some thoughts on the most essential options for daily driving and for down the road resale value? From what I can tell, Sport chrono, PASM, and sport seats are must haves? Thanks in advance!
PDLS, Auto dimming mirror, PTV if you want to appeal to the track driver. The more options you add does not incrementally increase your resale value. If I’m ordering a car I get what I want for my driving pleasure not the next owner.

Peter
Old 01-26-2019, 04:22 PM
fugifighter
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From a daily driving perspective, +1 to the PDLS and auto dimming mirrors. These cars are definitely low to the ground and the headlights from other cars (most of the time not aimed properly) can be too bright. Since you are in Texas, the vented seats may do well for you. I wish my cayman had the option for lane change assist. There is a blind spot for me on the passenger side of the car that no amount of head turning will help with merging to the right on highways. .
Old 01-26-2019, 09:39 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fugifighter
From a daily driving perspective, +1 to the PDLS and auto dimming mirrors. .
...plus rain-sensing wipers!

Old 02-14-2019, 01:51 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I just bought a used, (of course) 981. For 'around town' daily driving, I was hoping to find 'Park Distance', or whatever it is called. Another one I was hoping to get, (and did) was the "reduced steering effort" at low speed. And that one is cheap. I agree with Sport Chrono, but was talked out of PASM on this board unless you're planning on serious track time.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:00 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fugifighter
There is a blind spot for me on the passenger side of the car that no amount of head turning will help with merging to the right on highways. .
Fugi, is your mirror adjusted properly? You should NOT see the side of your car, in fact, I keep a two-three foot blind spot out there. It may be tough on motorcycles, but I see cars. They look clunky, but we put some little convex mirrors on my wife's Tesla. It has a bad C pillar too. I was in a Ford Fusion Uber today; it had them integrated into the outside mirrors - very cool.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:21 AM
jimmuller
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've had my 718 Cayman since July so take this for whatever it is worth. When I was looking I couldn't figure out easily which features were standard or bundled into packages or just stand-alone options. For example, do any cars not come with auto-dimming mirrors or PDLS? So I'm not sure how to answer this question.

I am glad I ended up with: PDLS, auto-dimming mirrors, zillion-way adjustable sport seats (you sit in it 100% of the time), Bose audio, Porsche Connect (for Apple CarPlay), auto windshield wipers (nice but not at all essential for us old-timers who know how to operate manual controls), the Jukebox, simple cruise control, heated seats (faster to warm that waiting for engine heat), dual-zone automatic climate control (my wife likes her own temperature controls), Bluetooth connection to my phone (don't they all do that?).

I wish my car had: Navigation (though a good smartphone does just fine), right-side lane change assist (though there is an alternative but that's another discussion), voice input (for when Siri isn't there) and text-to-speech (convenience items but unknown in the 20th century and we got along just fine then).

I'm sure I've forgotten something. Like I said, I have a hard time separating what was optional from what they all have anyway. And if I don't have something I don't know about I wouldn't know that I'm missing it, now would I?

Last edited by jimmuller; 02-24-2019 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: 718 Options Question