Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worst DME ever...?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 03:15 PM
Gatorgirlie
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Worst DME ever...?

Complete newbie In the market for a 2008 Cayman S with enough miles to meet my budget. Found one that is insanely well
optioned but looks rough for its mileage- THEN I got the report on over-revs. is it my imagination or is this horrible?

Number of Ignition in range One (which is 7200-7500 RPM) 25,511 times

- Number of Ignition in Range Two (which is 7500-7700 RPM) 1246 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Three (which is 7700-7900 RPM) 403 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Four (which is 7900-8400 RPM) 209 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Five (which is 9400-9500 RPM) 2 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Six (which is over 9500 RPM) - 1 time

Last edited by Gatorgirlie; 01-12-2019 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:55 PM
Anthonyr105
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably not the worst but certainly not good. IIRC those are individual ignitions so the actual time spent is much less than it looks like. The real key is the hours since the incident. Many feel if more than 50 hours have passed it should be reasonably safe?!? Looks like someone had a money shift to get that high. Hopefully someone can give a better explanation.
How is the maintenance history? Was it well taken care of? How many owners? Quality parts used for service? There are cars out there. If you don't like it keep looking. I know it is frustrating to keep finding beat up cars but nothing is as expensive as a cheap sports car.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Gatorgirlie
AutoX

Originally Posted by Anthonyr105
Probably not the worst but certainly not good. IIRC those are individual ignitions so the actual time spent is much less than it looks like. The real key is the hours since the incident. Many feel if more than 50 hours have passed it should be reasonably safe?!? Looks like someone had a money shift to get that high. Hopefully someone can give a better explanation.
How is the maintenance history? Was it well taken care of? How many owners? Quality parts used for service? There are cars out there. If you don't like it keep looking. I know it is frustrating to keep finding beat up cars but nothing is as expensive as a cheap sports car.
Thanks Anthony,
It's very slim on the service records and combined with its cosmetic condition and price, I think I'm going to bail on it.
Thanks for the clarity on the report. I have a lot to learn so appreciating anything anyone in this forum can share....hopefully the payoff for patience will be finding the right car for me.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:35 AM
cavediver32043
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Agree w Anthonyr105. Stay away. Plenty of great Porsches out there WITHOUT over revs Level 3 and above. Level 2 should b minimum duration if any and greater than 50 hrs since ORev condition. Be patient; "when u can catch butterfly..."
Old 01-10-2019, 11:44 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I'd stay away.
I'd be concerned about ranges 3 and 4, but how do you over rev in 6th gear (R-6)?
If a money shift, wouldn't the Over Rev be in one of the lower ranges (the range that got money shifted in to?)
Too many good cars out there. I'd stay away from this one. Good luck.

Last edited by dgrobs; 01-10-2019 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Gatorgirlie
AutoX

Thanks for confirming my limited non gear head girlie knowledge of all things
mechanical- this one looked veeeery iffy.
I was describing to my even less mechanically inclined husband why these
over revs would happen but didn't know what I was describing had a name.
'Money shift' is now in the car vocabulary list.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:12 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gatorgirlie
Thanks for confirming my limited non gear head girlie knowledge of all things
mechanical- this one looked veeeery iffy.
Good call.
If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
So many good cars out there, so no need to settle.
Have you looked in the PCA classifieds? I've seen a bunch of Caymans recently, all years and all variants, in the PCA listings.

A quick search for "cayman" in the PCA classifieds turned up this:

https://www.pca.org/browse-the-mart-...ort_order=DESC

Old 01-10-2019, 02:12 PM
jkfuel
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It needs to be taken in context- how long ago were the overrevs? I agree though, there are so many clean cars out there, I'd opt one for one without the blemishes if possible.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:14 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
I'd stay away.
I'd be concerned about ranges 3 and 4, but how do you over rev in 6th gear (R-6)?
If a money shift, wouldn't the Over Rev be in one of the lower ranges (the range that got money shifted in to?)
Too many good cars out there. I'd stay away from this one. Good luck.
I think you misunderstand. The ranges 1 - 6 are not the transmission gear that was selected or engaged at the time of over rev.

They are ranges of rpm in ascending order to categorize the excessiveness and severity of the over rev 'event'.

You can't hit range 6 without passing through (and back through ranges 1-5)

More info here

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/
Old 01-10-2019, 04:33 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by badabing
I think you misunderstand. The ranges 1 - 6 are not the transmission gear that was selected or engaged at the time of over rev.

They are ranges of rpm in ascending order to categorize the excessiveness and severity of the over rev 'event'.

You can't hit range 6 without passing through (and back through ranges 1-5)

More info here

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/
Right, and thanks, but aren't you shifting gears each time you over rev before the rpms cut off (rev limiter) on the way up the gears?

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how do you get to Range 6 as an over-rev without upshifting 5 times and then downshifting to cause the over-revs? Don't the rpms cut off at redline on the way up the gears?

I must be misunderstanding what an over-rev actually is. I read the page you linked to, and I understand the ranges, but don't the over-revs happen on the downshifts? The rev limiter would cut out if you hit redline on the way up the gears, yes?

I guess I am reading that wrong? Thanks for explaining it to me.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:58 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Over revs at any range (1 through 6) can happen in any gear. Check out that link above “virgin911”. It has excellent info. A range four or below can still qualify for CPO from Porsche. But 5&6 can’t. The 50 hours after occurrence is big too. If the engine is still ok after 50 hours, most consider it being out of the danger zone. A strained/stretched timing chain is the concern. How many hours were on it when it occurred & how many since is the question . Good luck, hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:59 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the clarification. Learn something new everyday on RL.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:37 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Right, and thanks, but aren't you shifting gears each time you over rev before the rpms cut off (rev limiter) on the way up the gears?

Maybe I am misunderstanding, but how do you get to Range 6 as an over-rev without upshifting 5 times and then downshifting to cause the over-revs? Don't the rpms cut off at redline on the way up the gears?

I must be misunderstanding what an over-rev actually is. I read the page you linked to, and I understand the ranges, but don't the over-revs happen on the downshifts? The rev limiter would cut out if you hit redline on the way up the gears, yes?

I guess I am reading that wrong? Thanks for explaining it to me.
One example would be driving in 4th gear and wanting to downshift into 3rd but accidentally engaging first. Pop the clutch and if you are going fast enough your revs will climb all the way to range 6 and possibly beyond to blow the motor.

Another example would be taking the downhill at lime rock in 3rd gear. If you forget to shift, the momentum from going downhill could overcome the rev limiter and take you into the higher ranges.

Neither example have you gone into 6th gear.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:27 PM
ottobon100
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Over revs at any range (1 through 6) can happen in any gear. Check out that link above “virgin911”. It has excellent info. A range four or below can still qualify for CPO from Porsche. But 5&6 can’t. The 50 hours after occurrence is big too. If the engine is still ok after 50 hours, most consider it being out of the danger zone. A strained/stretched timing chain is the concern. How many hours were on it when it occurred & how many since is the question . Good luck, hope this helps.
From a December 2013 issue of Excellence magazine: "Porsche is more likely to forgive certain over-rev events if the motor in question has accumulated at least 200 hours since the occurrence, the thinking being that if the motor has been okay for that amount of time, then no damage was done."
Old 01-10-2019, 07:47 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. Very informative. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Worst DME ever...?