Worst DME ever...? - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

Worst DME ever...?

Old 01-11-2019, 12:53 PM
  #16  
cavediver32043
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Posts: 9
Default

The ranges 1-6 do not mean gears 1-6 rather RPM over rev ranges. Starting at red line of a given engine for range 1 and incrementally increasing in RPM over redline for ranges 2-6. With this said you can see that a range 6 over rev is way over red line and Not good at all...
cavediver32043 is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM
  #17  
dgrobs
User
 
dgrobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey
Posts: 1,025
Default

Originally Posted by cavediver32043 View Post
The ranges 1-6 do not mean gears 1-6 rather RPM over rev ranges. Starting at red line of a given engine for range 1 and incrementally increasing in RPM over redline for ranges 2-6. With this said you can see that a range 6 over rev is way over red line and Not good at all...
Yes indeed. That range 6 over rev sounds like a serious money shift.

At a recent DE at NJMP, my buddy pulled a serious money shift in his BMW and result was catastrophic.

As said earlier in this thread, there are too many other Caymans out there to play Russian Roulette with this one.
dgrobs is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:42 PM
  #18  
Gatorgirlie
User
Thread Starter
 
Gatorgirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by dgrobs View Post
Good call.
If it doesn't feel right, it probably isn't.
So many good cars out there, so no need to settle.
Have you looked in the PCA classifieds? I've seen a bunch of Caymans recently, all years and all variants, in the PCA listings.

A quick search for "cayman" in the PCA classifieds turned up this:

https://www.pca.org/browse-the-mart-...ort_order=DESC
Thanks, I have been combing it along with all the other usual suspects- BaT, car gurus. auto trader etc.
But the search has ended! Bought one from Georgia. Can't wait to join PCA as an owner!
Gatorgirlie is offline  
Old 01-11-2019, 01:57 PM
  #19  
dgrobs
User
 
dgrobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey
Posts: 1,025
Default

Originally Posted by Gatorgirlie View Post


Thanks, I have been combing it along with all the other usual suspects- BaT, car gurus. auto trader etc.
But the search has ended! Bought one from Georgia. Can't wait to join PCA as an owner!
Congrats!!
Details? Pics?
dgrobs is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:10 PM
  #20  
Gatorgirlie
User
Thread Starter
 
Gatorgirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default

Originally Posted by dgrobs View Post
Congrats!!
Details? Pics?
Thanks, I'm so excited! I have a '14 BMW 428ix and a '57 Studebaker Silverhawk, both white, so decided to stick with the theme.
This is a picture from the listing:



Gatorgirlie is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 12:41 PM
  #21  
dgrobs
User
 
dgrobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey
Posts: 1,025
Default

Originally Posted by Gatorgirlie View Post

Thanks, I'm so excited! I have a '14 BMW 428ix and a '57 Studebaker Silverhawk, both white, so decided to stick with the theme.
This is a picture from the listing:



Beautiful. Nice job and congrats. You're gonna love the mid engine platform.
I can hear her screaming ôTrack me. Please Track me!!!!ö
Do it.
dgrobs is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 04:28 PM
  #22  
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Tom R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: NY attitude @ Denver altitude
Posts: 9,594
Default

Originally Posted by dgrobs View Post
Yes indeed. That range 6 over rev sounds like a serious money shift.

At a recent DE at NJMP, my buddy pulled a serious money shift in his BMW and result was catastrophic.

As said earlier in this thread, there are too many other Caymans out there to play Russian Roulette with this one.
I think we are overusing the term money shift. There is a difference between a BMW money shift and a misplaced shift. With the BMWs, the whole drivetrain tilts to the right when accelerating. If the mounts (not sure if just transmission, or motor too) are worn, the drivetrain will tilt to the right, and the driver thinking he/she is shifting into 3rd or 4th will unintentionally shift into 1st or 2nd.
That's different than say the shift that totaled my Astra. The hydraulic clutch slave went out when I was doing about 80 on an incline on the interstate with a semi behind me. I was trying to downshift from fifth to 3rd or 4th, the shifter jammed and I ended up in 1st or 2nd. Had nothing to do with how the transmission was positioned. Hence, it was a shift that cost money (snapped the crankshaft), but was not a "money shift".
Tom R. is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 06:26 PM
  #23  
Gatorgirlie
User
Thread Starter
 
Gatorgirlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9
Default

The only track driving I've done is some HPDEs in a GT3. And that's what started me down this
evil money burning road to begin with!
I'd need to save my pennies for some modifications and lots more instruction first.
I'm a total newbie- I've been watching YouTube videos to learn how to rev match and
eventually heel toe shift.
Hate to imagine practicing on my new baby but I think I will.
Gatorgirlie is offline  
Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM
  #24  
dgrobs
User
 
dgrobs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Somewhere in the Swamps of Jersey
Posts: 1,025
Default

Originally Posted by Gatorgirlie View Post
The only track driving I've done is some HPDEs in a GT3. And that's what started me down this
evil money burning road to begin with!
I'd need to save my pennies for some modifications and lots more instruction first.
I'm a total newbie- I've been watching YouTube videos to learn how to rev match and
eventually heel toe shift.
Hate to imagine practicing on my new baby but I think I will.
I know a good way for you to learn how to track your new Cayman......
dgrobs is offline  
Old 01-13-2019, 09:19 PM
  #25  
desmotesta
User
 
desmotesta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 312
Default

Originally Posted by Gatorgirlie View Post
Complete newbie In the market for a 2008 Cayman S with enough miles to meet my budget. Found one that is insanely well
optioned but looks rough for its mileage- THEN I got the report on over-revs. is it my imagination or is this horrible?

Number of Ignition in range One (which is 7200-7500 RPM) 25,511 times

- Number of Ignition in Range Two (which is 7500-7700 RPM) 1246 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Three (which is 7700-7900 RPM) 403 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Four (which is 7900-8400 RPM) 209 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Five (which is 9400-9500 RPM) 2 times

- Number of Ignitions in Range Six (which is over 9500 RPM) - 1 time

walk away.. keep looking
desmotesta is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: