Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum-264/)
-   -   CAYMAN SPARE TIRE & JACK (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1120886-cayman-spare-tire-and-jack.html)

mwest 12-27-2018 08:37 PM

CAYMAN SPARE TIRE & JACK

Not happy about riding around without a spare. I do carry a plug kit, can of fix a flat and a small compressor-but over the years all of the flats I've had were always in a non-repairable spot. Or the loss of air was due to damage to the wheel.
I have a Boxster and recently acquired an 09 Cayman S that will be a street car and see lots of track time. I'm an instructor and do 35-40 track days per year. My primary track car has been a Z06 Vette that I drive to the track. I carry a donut spare from a Caddy CTS in the Vette and it's gotten me home twice this season. I test fitted the Boxster donut onto the Cayman and it fits perfectly on front and rear. I was able to find an unused Boxster donut locally for $80. I also carry either a Harbor Freight lightweight aluminum jack or a low profile scissors jack in all my cars. I've had 1/2 drive sockets welded to the scissors jacks so I can raise/lower them with my breaker bar or my impact wrench. For now the spare is strapped down in the rear of the Cayman with ratchet camlock straps. Ideally I'd like to carry the spare in the frunk same as the Boxster location, but I don't see any way of securing the donut in place in the frunk.The scissors jack and breaker bar are wrapped in towels and wedged into the small compartment in the frunk directly below the battery. They are very secure and not able to move around in there.

My questions are:
Does anyone else carry a spare in their Cayman and where is it stored?
And, am I safe storing the jack wrapped in towels in that compartment. I didn't see anything in there that may be damaged by the jack or anything that may set the towels on fire and burn up my car.
Thanks

tomhartzell 12-28-2018 10:36 AM

Deleted; duplicate post.

jmt053 12-29-2018 12:04 PM

I just bought a spare for my 2016 Cayman s. I found a used wheel from a boxster that came with the scissor jack and crank. I had to put a new tire on it as the one that came with the wheel was original back to 1996. I bought a carrying bag for it from BAVAuto. It stores very securely in the back. Here is the article from Planet9 that gives more details and pictures. https://www.planet-9.com/porsche-tir...-tire-rig.html

Tom R. 12-30-2018 11:24 PM

I bought the tire and jack from a junkyard off eBay. I have it in the back, left side, secured with a few bungee cords. I also have a bag from discount tire just in case I need to mount the spare. It takes up about half the space in the back. I was going to do the frunk modification, but the bungee route didn't involve drilling and its easy to remove at the track or autocross.

TMc993 12-31-2018 09:56 AM

I having difficulty visualizing what to do with the flat tire once you mount the Boxster donut.

Based my measurements, the tires on my Cayman will not fit in the frunk or rear compartment (Especially when there is luggage or tools) and I'm not sure it will fit in the passengers seat (And even if it did, my wife would be highly pissed :grr: if I left her on the side of the road).

So, seriously, what do you do with the flat?

Tom R. 12-31-2018 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by TMc993 (Post 15532004)
I having difficulty visualizing what to do with the flat tire once you mount the Boxster donut.

Based my measurements, the tires on my Cayman will not fit in the frunk or rear compartment (Especially when there is luggage or tools) and I'm not sure it will fit in the passengers seat (And even if it did, my wife would be highly pissed :grr: if I left her on the side of the road).

So, seriously, what do you do with the flat?

The owners manual (I think) says put it in the passenger seat. That's why I have the plastic bag from discount tire. As for my wife, the engineers didn't think about her when the designed a "driver's car"!

TMc993 12-31-2018 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Tom R. (Post 15532061)
The owners manual (I think) says put it in the passenger seat. That's why I have the plastic bag from discount tire. As for my wife, the engineers didn't think about her when the designed a "driver's car"!

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

mwest 12-31-2018 02:42 PM

I have the Boxster spare securely tied down with cam-lock straps in the rear. It's in the original bag that the spare come in and is invisible from the outside and not even really noticeable when you're in the car driving.
As I mentioned in my previous post I use a low profile scissors jack with a 1/2 drive socket welded to the end so I can raise or lower more easily & quickly using my breaker bar or impact wrench. With the socket welded onto the end it's too long to fit in the styrofoam kit that it came with the Boxster spare. The jack, breaker bar and 19mm socket fit perfectly in the compartment below the battery.
As for the potential flat tire, I took my rear tire off(275x35x19) and test fit it in the rear and it ties down securely with the camlock straps and I secured the slightly open trunk hatch with another cam-lock strap.
I've given up trying to figure out how to secure the spare in the frunk.
It fits perfectly out of the way in the rear area.
I carry tire bags that I've collected from the tire shops. Any tires I transport in any of my cars are always in one of those bags.
Right now I have a basement full of track tires all stacked and stored in the the plastic bags I've collected from the tire shops.

Looks like a tire warehouse.
I've got:
205x50x15's Hoosiers and wets for my Miata
305x35x18's Bridgestone RE 71 R's for my Vette's
And I just picked up some Michelein Sport Cups for the Cayman and lugged down to my basement

Happy 2019 To Everyone

billwot 12-31-2018 09:11 PM

I'm sure there are several hundred failures that can leave you on the side of the road that are much more likely to happen than a tire failure.

I have absolutely no insecurities about not having a spare. :rolleyes:

mwest 01-01-2019 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by billwot (Post 15533434)
I'm sure there are several hundred failures that can leave you on the side of the road that are much more likely to happen than a tire failure.

I have absolutely no insecurities about not having a spare. :rolleyes:

Bill
If your comfortable with no spare then that's great.
The bottom line is we all have to be comfortable with what we do.
That's all that matters.
Like I tell my students on the track: Drive Within Your Comfort Zone Don't Let Other Drivers Around You Force You Out Of Your Comfort Zone (with the exception that my comfort zone superedes their comfort zone), if your drive within your comfort zone you'll always have fun.

My comfort zone is always being prepared and I believe in redundancy:
That's why in addition to the spare I carry plug kits, fix-a-flat and small air compressors in all my cars.
One time I had a flat and the spare was essentially flat. Luckily I had a compressor with me.
Now I periodically check the inflation on the spares too.

Currently I own 10 cars, past 30 years I've owned as few as 5 and as many as 13.
I drive the crap out of all my cars.
No garage queens here.
With the exception of my track Z06 and track Spec Miata all my cars have winter tires so I can drive them year round.
In all those years in all those cars luckily I've never been sidelined with one of those several hundred failures that may happen.
But, I have been temporarily side lined by hitting debris on the highway at 4am in a pouring rain at 55-65mph
and by hitting a giant pot hole late at night on a poorly lit highway.
These things never happen on a nice calm 65 degree sunny afternoon.
These don't take into account stuff that happens on the track.
I do 40-45 track days per year.
I drive my Z06 to the track (no trailer, no tow vehicle full of extra tires)
I do tow my Miata & bring 6 extra tires to the track (4 wets and 2 slicks)
I will be driving my Cayman to the track as well.
This past season my Vette got me home twice on a donut spare
One time a hairline crack in a wheel
Other time picked up something that cut into the shoulder of the tire
Both cases they were not repairable.
I'm comfortable carrying all that stuff just in case I need it

And I have 3 AAA memberships (don't ask me why)each with one 200 mile tow and each with two 100 mile tows per year.
But they don't do much good in the middle of the night when no tire shops are open.
Last year at around 10pm my wife and I helped a woman stranded on a lonely back road with a flat who'd been waiting for AAA for 45 minutes before we got there. I was able to move her car sort of off the road and out of the way in a fairly safe place and I had reflectors in my car we set up. Luckily she had a spare and I had my scissors jack and impact wrench, made the tire swap go very quickly.
She kept saying she's OK AAA was enroute.
I mounted her spare and AAA never showed.
Normally AAA is pretty quick but if you catch them on a busy day/night it could be a long wait.

Pruettfan 01-01-2019 10:13 PM

A few years ago AAA published an article that showed that flat tires on the road were far less common than other failures. In my 35 years of driving I have had 3, 2 of which were my fault because I didn't monitor inside tire wear on my old 3 series close enough. For peace of mind and because I track my car I just have AAA premier or whatever the highest level is. If I am unlucky enough to have a roadside flat they are a call away. When I was a paramedic I took care of two guys who died (separate incidents) changing tires on the side of the freeway and got hit but distracted/stupid drivers. Not sure if I had a spare I would use it unless the conditions were very safe.

Tom R. 01-03-2019 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by mwest (Post 15532661)
I have the Boxster spare securely tied down with cam-lock straps in the rear. It's in the original bag that the spare come in and is invisible from the outside and not even really noticeable when you're in the car driving.
As I mentioned in my previous post I use a low profile scissors jack with a 1/2 drive socket welded to the end so I can raise or lower more easily & quickly using my breaker bar or impact wrench. With the socket welded onto the end it's too long to fit in the styrofoam kit that it came with the Boxster spare. The jack, breaker bar and 19mm socket fit perfectly in the compartment below the battery.
As for the potential flat tire, I took my rear tire off(275x35x19) and test fit it in the rear and it ties down securely with the camlock straps and I secured the slightly open trunk hatch with another cam-lock strap.
I've given up trying to figure out how to secure the spare in the frunk.
It fits perfectly out of the way in the rear area.
I carry tire bags that I've collected from the tire shops. Any tires I transport in any of my cars are always in one of those bags.
Right now I have a basement full of track tires all stacked and stored in the the plastic bags I've collected from the tire shops.

Looks like a tire warehouse.
I've got:
205x50x15's Hoosiers and wets for my Miata
305x35x18's Bridgestone RE 71 R's for my Vette's
And I just picked up some Michelein Sport Cups for the Cayman and lugged down to my basement

Happy 2019 To Everyone

Thanks for testing everything out. I will throw the straps I have hanging on a wall in the kman. I think I read somewhere that if we get a flat in the rear, jack up the front, put the spare on the front, jack up the rear, put the front on the rear, and put the rear in the passenger seat (gotta love the bags you and I collect from tire shops).

Also, I went on a few "scenic" drives with PCA with the boxster spare in my trunk. While I may not have gotten the flat, it was nice to know I could help someone else if they got a flat in the middle of the rockies where there was no cell service. It was also nice to know on drives with the BMW group when I had my M Roadster that doesn't come with a spare that the Z3 guys had one in case of an emergency.