Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman bumper options

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 01:28 PM
Just Some A-hole
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cayman bumper options

Hello,
At some point over the summer my 06 Cayman S was hit in a parking lot. I found it when I was preparing it for some paint correction / clear bra install appointment.
It's cracked between the center radiator spot and left grill. Body shop quoted a $500 difference in cost between repairing plastic vs. buying a new clip. ($3500 for new clip and paint with blending; $3000 for clip repair, paint blend) They would also fill the license plate holes for a clean look, too.
Porsche is backordered on 96-98 Cayman bumpers. A used one will likely have license plate holes and the labor will increase again, too.

I have considered a GT3 replacement (supposed perfect fit from an eBay seller) but I have always thought the front end looks a little out of place on the Cayman except when it has a (functional!) wing. I track my car.
To further complicate this, I also have a Joe Toth splitter that would be worthless if I switch front ends.

Opinions are welcome, especially if you have pics or experience with other options.
TIA

Recent bug-filled drive in NorCal.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:40 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

Shop around on getting it repaired. I paid 1/2 your quote.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Just Some A-hole
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plan to get another quote, I know it's high and I hope it's because they have a good reputation for repairs.

Apparently I have sand damage on the front, too. So the hood and most of the fenders are getting taken to bare metal and cost isn't much of an issue.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:19 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I had to replace it, I would look for a GT3 authentic or clone bumper cover. I like the look from those who have done it.
If that's the case, wouldn't a 997 front end also work, then? Seems like it would open up the search radius.

My bumper cover in Atlas Grey has a paint crack from someone not seeing something, from before I bought it. Not bad enough to make me get a repaint.

Quick Reply: Cayman bumper options