Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   981 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum-264/)
-   -   Cayman S major maintainence (https://rennlist.com/forums/981-forum/1118172-cayman-s-major-maintainence.html)

patdonahue 12-12-2018 01:07 AM

Cayman S major maintainence

Opinions needed; 2015 CaymanS with 5000 miles, no short trips or stop and go driving. When car is taken out it gets fully warmed up, normally it is driven about 80 miles.. It gets about 1200 miles a year total, always garaged, no snow or even driving in rain. Shortest trip is about 15 miles after washing to dry out brakes Oil changed once a year, brake flush every 2 years. What do you folks think would be a good interval to do a major?
I was thinking every 5 years, which would have about 6000 miles between major inspections. IIRC Porsche recommends every 4 years but with the way the car is driven I thought that 5 years and 6000 miles between majors might be a good way to go.
Thanks for your time.
Pat D

Rick-A-Shay 12-12-2018 03:10 PM

Don't think you need a "major" (whatever that is supposed to be) but continue with above and do visual inspections by a qualified tech who does your servicing. Short trips and not warming up are not good for the car as you appear to know. Just enjoy driving it!

RWPinNC 12-13-2018 04:52 PM

I'm a relatively new owner of an older Cayman S, but spent time looking at maintenance schedules when I bought mine. It is a 2006, bought last year with 42,000 miles. It had regular oil changes and other services, but had the 40,000 mile service at 39k and change. Recalling this service the items were new plugs (and coils in this case), serpentine belt, engine and cabin air filters, oil and filter, and brake flush. Of these items, the most time (vs. mileage) sensitive would be the brake fluid, maybe the serpentine belt (if you are going to inspect it, may as well replace it), and plugs due to sticking in plug holes rather than actual wear. I would think filters would be largely a mileage related item and could go for an extended period. Since I'm starting with a known service point, I'm doing oil at 12 mos/5k, brake fluid at 2 years and have a way to go on the other items. The one item I have not addressed is transmission/diff lube. An indy mechanic suggested taking a comprehensive look at the car and changing this at 60k.

patdonahue 12-14-2018 01:38 AM

Thank you both for your replies. One of my concerns would also be the steel plugs in the aluminum head. I would think a fresh serpentine belt would be good for 5K or 6 years, especially as the car is not subject to a lot of weather and garaged. I am working on a happy medium, as the dealer is a 150 mile round trip and is in another state, plus leaving the car there for a day or so, although the dealer is very good about loaners. I know there are items that are time related such as the coolant tank, they just age. I think Porsche recommends new rubber after 6-7 years no matter how much tread in on them..

dlbehrns 05-06-2019 12:03 AM

" I think Porsche recommends new rubber after 6-7 years no matter how much tread in on them." Dealers recommend a lot of things that will get you in the service door. With that said, tires don't dry rot in 6-7 years.I don't suggest you take them to the track or try to hit the rev limiter in top gear but for normal every day commuting, don't worry about it if you have ample tread depth. If the sidewalls look weather checked and dry that's another story. I'm one of those exotic car owners that doesn't fit the financial stereotype and must do most of the periodic maintenance myself. Not that I mind because I do enjoy the work but, why spend $250 for an oil change when I can do it with a WIX filter for $18 and 8 quarts of Amsoil synthetic for ALOT less. Just sayin. If you don't have the time, the tools or the know how, oh well.

Tom R. 05-13-2019 06:14 PM

The water pump pulley on my 07 S gave up this past weekend. 41k miles. Just got the quote of only $1,200 at the dealer (a mere bag of shells Alice) . I think I should have taken those preventative maintenance threads a little more seriously this past winter and done the water pump, belt, idlers, t stat, hoses and maybe some other stuff for less than $1,200 in parts.

patdonahue 05-23-2019 01:42 AM

Thanks you both for your additional thoughts. Tom, thanks for a late night laugh ( "a mere bag of shells, Alice" )

SanDuh684 06-08-2019 08:17 PM

I have a 981 Boxster S with 108K miles (previous owner loves the highway). It gets driven only on the weekend, so at most 8k miles a year. Only major I had so far (knock on wood) is an oil pan leak. Needed new seals. They mentioned my next major is at 120. I’ll likely get it checked before 120 tho (likely at the 4 year mark). Honestly just for peace of mind.

Targaone1 07-29-2019 12:48 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan.

The only thing i would do differently is dependant on when you change oil ? Fall before storage , or in the spring ?

I do the before storage on my one bmw with many miles. My car gets occasional winter use , but the 20 W 50 mobil 1 is not winter wisconsin ideal.

So I would consider a mid summer just dump the oil drain change ... it gives you a quick look at the color and possible grit.. and any gas in the oil. Even just dump 5 quarts out and look at it and pour in a 5 quart mobil 1 container. It gives me peace of mind.

I had an old 944 i got 250 k on the engine with zero issues.. and no oil useage. Oil is cheap , engines are expensive. Just my opinion.