Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can i soften an x-73 fixed sport suspension?

Old 11-30-2018, 03:50 PM
boxsternj21
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can i soften an x-73 fixed sport suspension?

2013 Boxster S. nicely optioned many what I consider track options.. x73, sport exhaust Sport and Sport plus, chrono, 20 Carrera's. bought CPO, but don't track. it's more my driver. Since I don't track I'd like a bit softer ride. It rides really hard and feel every bump and the suspension squeaks on bumps. it's really a nicely optioned car for what I spent to upgrade to the S from my 987 base I'm a bit older and be great to have a better ride if possible. I have 18 Pirellis Scottozero II winter tires on it now and that does help a little at 32 lbs vs. the summer 34 but not much. Let me know any thoughts. my first post here!

Last edited by boxsternj21; 11-30-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: adding some detail
Old 12-01-2018, 02:00 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternj21
2013 Boxster S. nicely optioned many what I consider track options.. x73, sport exhaust Sport and Sport plus, chrono, 20 Carrera's. bought CPO, but don't track. it's more my driver. Since I don't track I'd like a bit softer ride. It rides really hard and feel every bump and the suspension squeaks on bumps. it's really a nicely optioned car for what I spent to upgrade to the S from my 987 base I'm a bit older and be great to have a better ride if possible. I have 18 Pirellis Scottozero II winter tires on it now and that does help a little at 32 lbs vs. the summer 34 but not much. Let me know any thoughts. my first post here!
First of all, welcome! This is a great community that is as much a draw to me as the cars themselves. I’ve never owned a Boxster but I had a Cayman with the x73 suspension and this is the first I’ve heard ANYONE say that the x73 was TOO harsh - it also certainly never ‘squeaked’ on my Cayman. Was your car originally optioned with it, or was it added after? I’m asking b/c if it’s making noises maybe something is wrong? I had 20s on mine & did not consider it harsh. If you find that there is nothing wrong with the suspension & it is bothering you enough to keep you from enjoying your car, there are probably folks on here that would trade you their “stock” Boxster S suspension for the x73 (you could probably even get some cash out of the deal since the x73 is such a sought after set up), just make sure it is the same “like” setups (manual vs pdk, etc.). That will soften things up considerably & raise the ride height to boot (making entry/exit easier , if that’s something that has bothered you). Best of luck to you.. -Dom
Old 12-02-2018, 11:04 AM
ryanc440
Track Day

I think your only option to improve the ride will be to change to an aftermarket suspension. Many people think coil overs are only to make things stiffer, but a good adjustable suspension setup can soften the ride which often actually improves handling, stiffer isn’t necessarily better. Much of what drives ride quality is the road surface on which you’re driving. I have the stock suspension on my 14 Cayman S, and it is harsh on the crappy roads in the Baltimore/DC area where I live. I was actually pretty surprised to find the Cayman has a harsher ride over these roads than the C6 Grand Sport I traded in for it.

As for the squeaks you hear, check with your dealer. I mentioned a sound I was getting from my rear suspension every time I hit a bump, and they found a TSB to fix the problem. It worked for a few months but the sound is back now, I’ll be bringing it back to the dealer tos get it looked at again. My sound is a metallic sound at shock compression, they lubricated something per the TSB so I’m going to ask what part it was so I can do it myself when the sound returns.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:32 AM
bvanlieu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternj21
Unfortunately its fixed: the tires will do a little with respect to impact harshness but its not going to be a game changer as even 18" are low profile tires with stiff side walls compared to sub 205/55+ aspect ratios of olden years I also have felt little difference dropping from the stock 20" to 18" A/S winter tires I run in the cold.

I have not driven a PASM car myself, only read that its softer but not a huge difference. The X73 is a firm suspension: I do find it quite compliant at the same time for what it is: kudo's to Porsche. Having owned our '15 for a few months now, we are very happy with it but I agree you will feel quick bumps on the road. It doesn't pogo over them if you will, but its well...firm

On longer drives I find its more compliant then our previous base 987's suspension. Dampening is smoother, better rebound control and for us at least, leaves us less fatigued on longer drives.

Best of luck,

- b

Old 01-16-2019, 03:30 PM
boxsternj21
3rd Gear

Thanks all for the welcome to the group and feedback. I know it's been a while since I checked back over the holidays. Seems as I expected options are limited outside of after market replacement of the suspension which is probably not cost effective. I'll check on the squeaks via TSB as suggested, but likely live with it for now and look to sell/trade possibly in the Spring. Any interests let me know I can send pics and the build sheet. it has a recent exceptional PPI report and is just a really nice sports car!
Old 01-16-2019, 03:38 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

As previously suggested. Post a "want to trade" ad in the parts and the 987-981 sections. There will be plenty of takers to trade their non-sport suspension (which seems to be what you need) + some cash for your X73 suspension. Use the cash to pay for the swap labor. If you do this locally, the same shop could perform the swap.

EDIT: Post pics and the builds-sheet here. Won't hurt.
Old 01-17-2019, 12:37 AM
carbonjim996tt
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never found my X-73 suspension harsh. I've not noticed any noise either. I don't track my car but love it when I'm in the mountains near home. I have 20's on mine and I would't change anything. I'd have yours checked out. Good luck and let us know.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Gokart3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by carbonjim996tt
I've never found my X-73 suspension harsh. I've not noticed any noise either. I don't track my car but love it when I'm in the mountains near home. I have 20's on mine and I would't change anything. I'd have yours checked out. Good luck and let us know.
Same here... (Same city too. Good old Vancouver WA, with roads almost as smooth as downtown Beirut.) I have X-73 on my Cayman, and can't believe how compliant the car is for having 20" rubber band tires on it. It's possible the OP could try a different tire, or as mentioned above, find someone to swap out a stock S susp. If he posted that up, he'd have takers in minutes. But sounds like a trade is more likely, and will provide a good opportunity for someone to grab an X-73 car, and the OP to find something a bit softer.

As for ryanc440's post... If budget weren't a concern, a set of Ohlins coilovers would be perfect.

Last edited by Gokart3; 01-17-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:22 PM
boxsternj21
3rd Gear

Here’s pics and build sheet!!

Old 01-17-2019, 09:48 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Very nice Box S! Has everything I was looking for except for the 6sp manual.
How did you buy it CPO from a Mercedes dealer?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: can i soften an x-73 fixed sport suspension?