Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible leak from IMS, what to do ?

Old 11-25-2018, 06:23 AM
alecayman14
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible leak from IMS, what to do ?

Hi guys I have a question. I have 2008 cayman base with the 2.7 M97 engine and I put it up in the air and saw a little oil by the transmission and engine block area. I decided to take transmission down and believe that the slow leak might be coming from the IMS. ( will post pics later).
What can I do since this IMS has the big nut and are supposed to be non- serviceable? Can I take just the three bolts and flange cover out and maybe replace a seal without worrying about the timing?
Please any input would be awesome. THANKS
Old 11-26-2018, 01:11 AM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

just take the seal off and drive the sucker....

or replace the ims if you know its really bad
Old 11-26-2018, 06:37 AM
alecayman14
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alecayman14
Hi guys I have a question. I have 2008 cayman base with the 2.7 M97 engine and I put it up in the air and saw a little oil by the transmission and engine block area. I decided to take transmission down and believe that the slow leak might be coming from the IMS. ( will post pics later).
What can I do since this IMS has the big nut and are supposed to be non- serviceable? Can I take just the three bolts and flange cover out and maybe replace a seal without worrying about the timing?
Thanks for the reply!!
Old 11-26-2018, 11:18 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by alecayman14
We are in the process of replacing this seal now on an engine we have out of a car. There is a specific procedure to replace this seal in the workshop manual. Email me if you want me to send you a PDF of the procedure, ace@rennpart.com

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
Old 11-29-2018, 04:10 PM
Anthonyr105
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Verify if the cams need to be locked before removing the IMS seal. Removal may allow a timing shift which you don't want. Are you sure it isn't the Rear Main Seal that is leaking? The M97 requires splitting the case (disassembly) to remove the IMS
Old 12-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Kayaknfly
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

It’s probably the RMS(rear main seal). Pretty common to weep(over serviced maybe). If it’s just a small weep and not actively leaking I’d just continue driving it till you need a new clutch or drop transmission for some other reason.
Its supposed to be fairly cheap and easy to replace once you have access to it. Expense from the shop is the transmission drop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Possible leak from IMS, what to do ?