Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Setting Height on PSS9 (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/1108476-setting-height-on-pss9.html)

smokey968 10-29-2018 11:22 AM

Setting Height on PSS9

After two 944 Turobs, two 968s, and my current track car, a 944 S2, I've bought a 2011 Cayman S PDK. I plan to install the PSS9 coilovers, but I need help in setting the height. The PSS9 manual says the "permissible adjustment range of spring plate height" is 115 mm to 135 mm "as related to top edge of spring plate up to centre of strut fixation bolt". I take this to mean that one measures from the top of the spring plate at the bottom of the spring DOWN to the centre of the mounting bolt for the strut. Is that correct? It's presumably translated from the German, and it's not clear to me.

steved0x 11-13-2018 10:26 AM

That's correct - and my recommendation is to make a few measurements before you install them to make it easier to ensure you stay in the range. The two spring plates should be 15mm, so subtract that from the range, and you can measure from the bottom of the lower spring adjustment plate instead of the top. Then while the strut is uninstalled, measure from the center of that bottom mounting bolt hole to the bottom of the threads, and then subtract that from the range. Then it is easy to measure from the bottom of the threads to the underside of the spring plate to see if you are in the allowable range, which is probably only around 20mm of range (on the 986 Boxster it is 20mm of range in the front and 15mm in the back I think), I just got done putting a set of these on and so it is relatively fresh in my mind :)

smokey968 11-13-2018 10:54 AM

Thanks, Steve. The actual measurements are shown in a drawing at the end of the installation manual, and I hadn't read it that far - my bad. The drawings make it very clear. At this point, since it's a daily driver, I'm planning to start with stock springs/shocks and just add Racers Edge camber plates to get -2 degrees camber at the front. How is the PSS9 on the street? My 944 S2 had 325 lb springs in the front, and it was still drivable on the street once you got used to it. PSS9 has 285 lb front springs, less than I had on the 944, so it should be streetable. What has been your experience?

dgmark 11-15-2018 01:03 PM

If you do not have the shocks in hand ,Pss9's have not been available for over a year and there is no good rebuild service for them. I would suggest Olins or JRZ's. The ride hight measurement is taken from a point on the front and rear suspension mounts, its in the service manual.

badabing 11-17-2018 07:10 AM

I know there is a guy selling a set of 987 PSS9 in the parts marketplace.

Doesn't Bilstein rebuild them themselves? Around $200 a unit I've read.

dgmark 11-17-2018 01:07 PM

Bilstein only rebuilds their racing shocks not pss9,s the only place I know doing them is Delta Vee out of Michigan and the have a three month turnaround. All other shocks I can get rebuilt in 2 weeks max.

Gillito 11-22-2018 02:20 PM

Depending on your intended use, the KW-V3 are an awesome upgrade from the PSS9 or /10's without the steep cost of the JRZ's
Ran mine for several years and after 50k got them rebuilt (by KW) for a reasonable amount

steved0x 01-09-2019 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by smokey968 (Post 15427974)
Thanks, Steve. The actual measurements are shown in a drawing at the end of the installation manual, and I hadn't read it that far - my bad. The drawings make it very clear. At this point, since it's a daily driver, I'm planning to start with stock springs/shocks and just add Racers Edge camber plates to get -2 degrees camber at the front. How is the PSS9 on the street? My 944 S2 had 325 lb springs in the front, and it was still drivable on the street once you got used to it. PSS9 has 285 lb front springs, less than I had on the 944, so it should be streetable. What has been your experience?

Sorry for the long delay, I don't daily drive the car, but it does see a fair amount of highway driving to and from various tracks, and I like it. I wouldn't have any trouble daily driving the PSS9 with the the stock Bilstein springs.

bldn10 12-09-2019 01:40 PM

https://www.bilstein.com/us/en/techn...ledge/service/ $192.50