Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pretty sure car is toast - just confirming

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 01:34 PM
abbithedog
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty sure car is toast - just confirming

Yeah, title pretty much says it all. Few weeks ago car (06 Cayman S - around 95k miles) started having issues. Took the car to the mechanic, they said "it's going to be expensive" and I volunteered to poke around the internet and see if I could scrounge up somewhere to get started/next steps before I ditch the car or pay for a new engine.

"Low coolant" light popped on, but car wasn't overheating. Mechanic said coolant was empty, put some in.....and it all disappeared. Not under/outside the car, so it's leaking inside?

No fault codes in engine module.

3-4mm metal shavings in oil (uh oh) appear to be magnetic. Oil also has "grimy sludge." Assuming sludge is probably the engine coolant?

Mechanic is leaning towards internal engine failure (oy).

Unusual engine noise when RPMs are between 3-4k, mostly in 3-5 gears. Engine also "stutters" and loses power, but the RPMs aren't surging/dipping when it does this.

Thanks! I am, in no way, a mechanic. I do taxes. I've hit the ol' google and metalic shavings look like IMS failure, but I figured with the engine getting close to 100k miles I was beyond that issue.

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2018, 05:18 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by abbithedog
Yeah, title pretty much says it all. Few weeks ago car (06 Cayman S - around 95k miles) started having issues. Took the car to the mechanic, they said "it's going to be expensive" and I volunteered to poke around the internet and see if I could scrounge up somewhere to get started/next steps before I ditch the car or pay for a new engine.

"Low coolant" light popped on, but car wasn't overheating. Mechanic said coolant was empty, put some in.....and it all disappeared. Not under/outside the car, so it's leaking inside?

No fault codes in engine module.

3-4mm metal shavings in oil (uh oh) appear to be magnetic. Oil also has "grimy sludge." Assuming sludge is probably the engine coolant?

Mechanic is leaning towards internal engine failure (oy).

Unusual engine noise when RPMs are between 3-4k, mostly in 3-5 gears. Engine also "stutters" and loses power, but the RPMs aren't surging/dipping when it does this.

Thanks! I am, in no way, a mechanic. I do taxes. I've hit the ol' google and metalic shavings look like IMS failure, but I figured with the engine getting close to 100k miles I was beyond that issue.

Thanks!
If you haven't already pulled this off the road, I'd recommend not running the engine any further as you don't want to cause a catastrophic failure.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:31 PM
abbithedog
5th Gear

Yeah, it's currently parked. And if the engine is failed, how much more "catastrophic failure" can occur? 80's action style movie car explosion? Or engine stops and I call AAA?

And thanks for the response.
Old 10-04-2018, 05:39 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 556 Posts

Yeah, it's currently parked. And if the engine is failed, how much more "catastrophic failure" can occur? 80's action style movie car explosion? Or engine stops and I call AAA?

The difference is whether or not the core would be rebuildable or if you end up damaging more components, further increasing rebuild cost. If it's still running, it probably fixable or suitable to be submitted as a core on exchange if you went the route of an RND Engine, to give one such option.
Old 10-04-2018, 07:39 PM
abbithedog
5th Gear

Got it, thanks. Although having the back end of the cayman on fire as I roared down the highway does seem pretty cool in a Mad Max kind of way.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:44 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

You Don,t want it to look like this.
Old 10-05-2018, 03:57 PM
abbithedog
5th Gear

No, no I don't.
Old 10-05-2018, 04:28 PM
certz
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dgmark
You Don,t want it to look like this.
Thanks for sharing my pain Mark - that is what a spun bearing looks like, btw.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:55 AM
Pezhed618
2nd Gear

you are funny. Good sense of humor despite the situation... hope everything turns out in your favor.

Quick Reply: Pretty sure car is toast - just confirming