Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air filters

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 08:04 PM
rss53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filters

What do all of you think about the afe dry air filters and are they worth $210 each ?
these are for a Cayman s 2015 or should I stick with Porsche filters ? (At $34.00 each).
Old 09-27-2018, 08:40 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

All aftermarket air filters are basically just sound enhancers, i.e. louder air intake sound . Any performance improvement (usually 4-5 hp) can only be measured on a dyno or an extremely fine tuned butt. However, if you package with other performance equipment, they may enhance performance somewhat.

I've used both afe and K&N oiled filers on BMWs but have found it too difficult to access on Porsches. So, the enhanced intake sound isn't worth the effort IMHO.
Old 09-27-2018, 08:49 PM
rss53
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ��
Old 09-27-2018, 09:31 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by rss53
Thanks ��
You're welcome
Old 03-10-2021, 01:35 PM
Hoguer62
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default James Bond smoke machine

I have the K&N as it was in the car when I bought it. While driving through a small rain I noticed a large white cloud trailing behind me. I was freaking out that my engine blew. I called the guy I bought it from and he said that happened if you drove in the rain. Now I was worried about a vapor lock as moisture was going into the engine. Needless to say I have never driven in the rain again and I’m switching back to stock. As for the cloud, it was intense and I could not see anything behind me. It was cool for a moment and then I sweated bullets thinking the motor was dying.
Old 03-10-2021, 04:06 PM
9eight7
Pro

Received 258 Likes on 182 Posts

Check out this thread. I personally go with OEM.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:38 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoguer62
I have the K&N as it was in the car when I bought it. While driving through a small rain I noticed a large white cloud trailing behind me. I was freaking out that my engine blew. I called the guy I bought it from and he said that happened if you drove in the rain. Now I was worried about a vapor lock as moisture was going into the engine. Needless to say I have never driven in the rain again and I’m switching back to stock. As for the cloud, it was intense and I could not see anything behind me. It was cool for a moment and then I sweated bullets thinking the motor was dying.
How odd....I've never heard of an air filter, or the absence of one, causing an engine to smoke.
Old 03-10-2021, 05:56 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Thanks ��
Originally Posted by DBH
You're welcome
� is basically an error code...Whatever was typed couldn't be processed and displayed.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:59 PM
OLY-S
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I run K&N and have been happy. No significant performance increase but as noted in earlier Reply, it does alter the exhaust sound; making it (IMO) a more pleasing "throatier" sound. I haven't added a full-on aftermarket exhaust... but did find a steal on a set of Fabspeed tips that have a neat X pipe connector that helps (a little bit) with exhaust flow... and these two mods together give me what I want. A calm idle exhaust note... but when I stomp on the skinny pedal, the sound is very pleasing (to my ears...).

Something to keep in mind if you're a DIY. On a 981 (and probably other Gen), getting to the filters isn't a 10 minute task. I'd guess with proper panel tools, figure about 20-30 minutes to carefully pull off all the necessary trunk panels etc. to remove the filters for cleaning and charging. And... if you aren't setup to accelerate the drying of the new (recharge) oil (and don't oversoak!), you'll be off-line until the new oil is dry and you reinstall. I kept my OEM filters (which were in good shape; clean) for any situation where I'm doing the maintenance and want to drive before the oil dries 100%. Search the Internet for blogs/stories/tips on what happens if you don't wait for any oil-based air filter to fully dry.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:57 AM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by OLY-S
I run K&N and have been happy. No significant performance increase but as noted in earlier Reply, it does alter the exhaust sound; making it (IMO) a more pleasing "throatier" sound. I haven't added a full-on aftermarket exhaust... but did find a steal on a set of Fabspeed tips that have a neat X pipe connector that helps (a little bit) with exhaust flow... and these two mods together give me what I want. A calm idle exhaust note... but when I stomp on the skinny pedal, the sound is very pleasing (to my ears...).

Something to keep in mind if you're a DIY. On a 981 (and probably other Gen), getting to the filters isn't a 10 minute task. I'd guess with proper panel tools, figure about 20-30 minutes to carefully pull off all the necessary trunk panels etc. to remove the filters for cleaning and charging. And... if you aren't setup to accelerate the drying of the new (recharge) oil (and don't oversoak!), you'll be off-line until the new oil is dry and you reinstall. I kept my OEM filters (which were in good shape; clean) for any situation where I'm doing the maintenance and want to drive before the oil dries 100%. Search the Internet for blogs/stories/tips on what happens if you don't wait for any oil-based air filter to fully dry.

Tips look great, I'm glad you love them!
If you're looking for exhaust mods that will give you more noticeable power, I would suggest our Sport Headers with 200Cel HJS Cats. Guaranteed no CEL.

Cheers, John

Old 03-11-2021, 04:09 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 262 Likes on 168 Posts
Wink

What do all of you think about the afe dry air filters and are they worth $210 each ?
these are for a Cayman s 2015 or should I stick with Porsche filters ? (At $34.00 each).
I have been using K&N air filters on all of my cars for over 25 years with good results except once when I over oiled it and I had to clean the MAF sensor on my Lexus. One of my first upgrades on my 2014 CS was K&N filters and was pleased with the increased intake noise especially with the windows down. I later added aFe headers and a Cobb stage 2 tune. There was a shipping issue with the headers and aFe sent me their aFe dry filters at no cost to resolve the issue. The dry filters are a high quality item and it has the same increased intake sound and no concern about over oiling. I also added PSE and Soul X pipes so I have both a great intake and exhaust sound.
Jim
The following users liked this post:
OLY-S (03-12-2021)

Quick Reply: Air filters