Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New forum member and my first Porsche!

Old 09-16-2018, 03:28 AM
DreamingOfGT3
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New forum member and my first Porsche!

I registered to the forum some time ago, but back then I was just dreaming of owning a Porsche. I tried to figure out which model is the correct one for me. Is it 996, Boxster or Cayman.. What I wanted? First I wanted that the car has four seats and four wheel drive. I have a family and I was planning that I will drive at winter as well, so more seats and four wheel sounds obvious, but I wanted to have a PDK gear box, which made that option way too expensive. I live in Finland where the car prices are somewhat high and available second hand cars are a bit limited, so this option was no go. I have had Mazda MX-5 in the past, so I started to think if I buy just a summer car with open roof.. well, Boxster is, but no, the time in Finland is a bit limited for cabrio, so again, this was no go. At this point I had only older 996 C4S and Caymans left in the list. I have had some bad experiences with other cars, so if something can go wrong it will go wrong.. 996 and older 987 engine issues turned my eyes to 987.2 Cayman with PDK which was at the very limit of my budget. Also if I won't get four wheel, 4 seater with PDK, then I wanted to have a PDK. 996 was also looking a bit aged to my eyes.

Now, finally this summer I bought 987.2 PDK Cayman S. Some pictures can be found here. Now I have driven ~2k km with the car and I really love it. It has Carnewal exhaust and new wheel with better F1 style gear changers and in addition some extra alcantra pieces fitted by previous owner ( I need to take some photos of those), which are really good looking.

Pro's
-Car is very practical and can be used as daily driver
-Maintenance is reasonable
-It can be driven at winter
-PDK is sweet
-S version has enough power
-Airbag can be switched off and there is possibility to have isofix
-More modern looking than 996

Con's (from my point of view)
-Only two seats
-Closest Porsche workshop is 150km away

Next I would like to upgrade rims. Maybe just paint the current ones or get new ones? But which color? I have been thinking of bronze or similar..

Last edited by DreamingOfGT3; 09-16-2018 at 05:26 AM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:15 PM
cremaley
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Great looking Cayman S. Welcome to the forum.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:21 AM
eddielasvegas
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Congrats and beautiful CS you have there. And another Miata to Porsche covert?! Most excellent.

Eddie
Old 09-22-2018, 11:58 PM
149max
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!
Old 09-23-2018, 07:01 AM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats and welcome...
Old 09-25-2018, 01:11 PM
hyphenf15
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats and enjoy the new ride.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New forum member and my first Porsche!