Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Cayman S PPI Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:35 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2006 Cayman S PPI Question

Hi all, I’m Having a PPI done on a one owner 50,000 mile Cayman S (I have had 964 and other AC cars previously, so new to WC cars). My question pertains mostly to bore scoring. Am I reasonably safe having the mechanic just look in cylinders 5 and 6 and if those are clean call it a day? Anything else I might want to have the mechanic specifically look at? My understanding is water pump is original, and no major work has been done other than normal scheduled maintenance.

Thank you!
Old 08-22-2018, 05:45 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Clutch, front rotors, and coil packs will be potential repair/replacements on the horizon. An Indy shop would be in the $4k range for all of it. Great car for the right price, $25-27k is my opinion.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:10 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 803 Likes on 492 Posts

Check over-revs.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:55 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Thanks Guys, much appreciated. I’ll report back after PPI
Old 09-01-2018, 07:54 PM
Porschenut_Lee
Pro

Purchased the car today. Very excited to be back in a Porsche. I must say the the Cayman looks better in person, and it has grown on me substantially......beautiful curves. It’s also a phenomenal driver. 6-speed is really nice, and the car handles so well.

Details on the car:

2006 Cayman S - Arctic Silver Metallic over black leather - 51,000 Miles
One owner (Retired Doctor purchased it new at 65 years old) so it hasn’t been thrashed or mistreated. Interior looks like a 20,000 mile car.
Religously maintained with no expense spared - Oil changes every 3k - 4K Miles (every fall before being put away for winter), and regular service intervals followed by the Dealer.
PPI passed with flying colors - Very tight car, super clean underneath. Brakes and clutch in great shape. Recent tires and batteries. Excellent Compression and very consistent across the board.
While they had plugs out, I had them put new updated coils and new spark plugs in.

My plan is to immediately install an LN low temp thermostat and proactively replace water pump with new Porsche unit. Probably also do belt even though it was replaced 11,000 miles ago at the 40k service.

I’ve got a Remus exhaust and a factory SSK on the way. Maybe next spring I’ll get the kit from Sunset to add sport mode. With a bunch of maintenance out of the way, and a couple of select upgrades I hope to be able to enjoy the car for a long time as is.

Pics coming, just need to get it registered before I take it out.

Old 09-02-2018, 03:05 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschenut_Lee
Purchased the car today. Very excited to be back in a Porsche. I must say the the Cayman looks better in person, and it has grown on me substantially......beautiful curves. It’s also a phenomenal driver. 6-speed is really nice, and the car handles so well.

Details on the car:

2006 Cayman S - Arctic Silver Metallic over black leather - 51,000 Miles
One owner (Retired Doctor purchased it new at 65 years old) so it hasn’t been thrashed or mistreated. Interior looks like a 20,000 mile car.
Religously maintained with no expense spared - Oil changes every 3k - 4K Miles (every fall before being put away for winter), and regular service intervals followed by the Dealer.
PPI passed with flying colors - Very tight car, super clean underneath. Brakes and clutch in great shape. Recent tires and batteries. Excellent Compression and very consistent across the board.
While they had plugs out, I had them put new updated coils and new spark plugs in.

My plan is to immediately install an LN low temp thermostat and proactively replace water pump with new Porsche unit. Probably also do belt even though it was replaced 11,000 miles ago at the 40k service.

I’ve got a Remus exhaust and a factory SSK on the way. Maybe next spring I’ll get the kit from Sunset to add sport mode. With a bunch of maintenance out of the way, and a couple of select upgrades I hope to be able to enjoy the car for a long time as is.

Pics coming, just need to get it registered before I take it out.

Congratulations! Sounds like a good one and some nice mods on the horizon. Looking forward to seeing the pictures. Drive it every chance you get and enjoy in good health.
Old 09-05-2018, 05:22 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

have fun. you're maintenance plan is spot on

Quick Reply: 2006 Cayman S PPI Question