Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It’s definitely a gt4 , that’s odd it starts w 991
Old 08-20-2018, 10:58 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
It’s definitely a gt4 , that’s odd it starts w 991
The GT4 comes with a Carrera 991 Engine,that's why the part number starts with a 991.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Is your friend planning on tracking the car? If not, those mods may be worth less than zero to him and may be another reason to look elsewhere for a GT4.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:10 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Yea it will be dedicated track car
Old 08-21-2018, 01:20 AM
GTS_Ninja
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
Right, the person downshifted into the wrong gear.
Just bouncing off the rev limiter would only show range 1, maybe 2.
By "bounce" do you mean redline-ing the gear? bc redline-ing won't show on a DME. If you hit the redline, ECU will cut fuel.

For DME Report to register an overrev, it needs to be a downshift. And it doesn't have to be the wrong gear. It can be a scenario when you are let's say high in the rev, and downshift into the next lower gear. ie, 4th gear 6500-7000 rpm, and downshift into 3rd gear.

I confirmed this by calling a few techs just to make sure.

Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 AM
Perimeter
Rennlist Member

Received 328 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
The GT4 comes with a Carrera 991 Engine,that's why the part number starts with a 991.
Thank you that makes sense, I would have guessed a GT4 specific number would be issued.
Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja
By "bounce" do you mean redline-ing the gear? bc redline-ing won't show on a DME. If you hit the redline, ECU will cut fuel.
For DME Report to register an overrev, it needs to be a downshift. And it doesn't have to be the wrong gear. It can be a scenario when you are let's say high in the rev, and downshift into the next lower gear. ie, 4th gear 6500-7000 rpm, and downshift into 3rd gear.
I believe one over rev count is a third of a crankshaft revolution. Latency on past models allows fuel cut to affect just after Range 2 hit. A downshift is the way you get Range 3, 4+ over revs

Remember the definition of Redline - maximum continuous operation without destruction. These engines are very robust, a mild venture into range 1/2 will not change the metallurgy but you are passing a lot of energy through the transmission
Old 08-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Spoke w our local pcar dealer svc mgr , he said it’s very grey if pag would cover the motor if it failed basically a coin flip.

This could be used as a good leverage point to get the car at a reduced cost , if so how much would be a number off make it a comfortable purchase ?

Also 20 hours since the over rev , would you think if you did a leak down test and if the results are strong , does this give you any peace of mind ?
Old 08-21-2018, 10:57 AM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Perimeter
Thank you that makes sense, I would have guessed a GT4 specific number would be issued.

I believe one over rev count is a third of a crankshaft revolution. Latency on past models allows fuel cut to affect just after Range 2 hit. A downshift is the way you get Range 3, 4+ over revs

Remember the definition of Redline - maximum continuous operation without destruction. These engines are very robust, a mild venture into range 1/2 will not change the metallurgy but you are passing a lot of energy through the transmission
I ordered a Durametric to verify that bouncing off the rev limiter increments range 1 and 2 counts or not, I'll report back.
Old 08-21-2018, 12:06 PM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 150 Posts

I would pass. No shortage of GT4s out there, and this conversation is going to follow this car around forever, particularly each time its sold. Not worth the potential headache unless its priced absurdly low (high 70s or something).
Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Lend me the car. I will take it on a 30 hour road trip through the mountains. All i need is a gas card, and AAA card. I'll get you to 100 hours.

Seriously, you said the suspension is over the top. Sure there is no shortage of GT4s. But how many have the modifications your buddy is purchasing the car for? How much would it cost to buy a "better" GT4 and build it the way that one is built? Take that number, and subtract say half what a motor costs since there is a 50/50 (or whatever ratio you want) chance the motor will die a premature and ugly death. If that number is close to what the seller wants flip a coin as to whether to go for it or not. If it is way less than what the seller wants its a good deal.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:23 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS_Ninja

I don't think this is correct.

I've *never* missed a shift on my car, nor money shifted. But I do autocross it and as such it does kiss the limiter at times. DME report via the Durametric shows those as zone 1's (I'll have to double-check on my car to confirm it doesn't also show up as zone 2 - which it may) based on the hours count.

I think this is likely why PCNA still warranties cars with zone 1/2. It's just hitting the limiter. I think to get to zone 3+ you need a money shift (or a tune that raises the rev limiter).
Old 09-07-2018, 08:41 PM
d00d
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by d00d
I ordered a Durametric to verify that bouncing off the rev limiter increments range 1 and 2 counts or not, I'll report back.
Bouncing off the rev limiter (not shifting up before red line) doesn't increment with the SDI9 ECU in the GT4.

Quick Reply: Friend looking at a gt4