Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Cayman for a Cayman newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2018, 09:07 PM
jpdp
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which Cayman for a Cayman newbie?

I have been out of the Porsche scene for twenty years (last real Porsche was an air cooled 911s) and now want to get back into a manual coupe mainly as a weekend and occasional track car. I have an M4 convertible for cruising...

I have read about IMS and bores scoring issues, so was thinking about getting a 987.2 2.9 as it would be more reliable and it's within my budget.
As I am in Australia, the easiest way to consider pricing is that we pay double the US, so a $30k US car, costs us $60k here.
So it's all about the relative differences between them

There's 3 options (all prices in USD):
1. early 987 S in black that's about $30k
2. later 987 S in yellow at $50k that's heavily modified with a Turbo, carbon brakes, PASM etc
3. early 987.2 in blue at $45k that's really low miles and perhaps the most sensible option.

I really want the turbo with the carbon brakes, not actually for the turbo, but more for the brakes - really!
I am worried about the turbo and issues it might cause - the earliest and cheapest might be the go; worst case, I get a new motor - surely that's about $10k at most?
So which one should I go for?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caul...n-s/1189583574
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...G-AD-16213089/
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/o-ha...-4c/1191396318

Last edited by jpdp; 08-10-2018 at 09:08 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 PM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

I would go with the 987.2. I've had 2 of them. My 09 base 2.9 was a great car. (I still have my 12 R.) A 987.1 might be fine for occasional track use, but there have been some oil starvation issues with sticky tires. The 9A1 motor has better oiling and seems to be holding up well to track abuse. Can't speak to engine replacement costs there, but pretty sure in the US it would be more than 10k. Unless maybe one could find a salvage motor and DIY the swap. You may know the 2.9 is not DFI but has the other improvements made for the 9A1. The turbo car might be very well done, but there is always risk with such a major mod. The carbon brakes are nice for the street. For hard track use most prefer iron due to the cost of replacement PCCB rotors. There are 2 piece iron rotor upgrades (Girodisc) that are popular. I know the color is personal preference but I'm a sucker for Aqua Blue. I like it much better than the earlier Cobalt and the recent Sapphire. Best of luck
Old 08-10-2018, 10:34 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jpdp
I have been out of the Porsche scene for twenty years (last real Porsche was an air cooled 911s) and now want to get back into a manual coupe mainly as a weekend and occasional track car. I have an M4 convertible for cruising...

I have read about IMS and bores scoring issues, so was thinking about getting a 987.2 2.9 as it would be more reliable and it's within my budget.
As I am in Australia, the easiest way to consider pricing is that we pay double the US, so a $30k US car, costs us $60k here.
So it's all about the relative differences between them

There's 3 options (all prices in USD):
1. early 987 S in black that's about $30k
2. later 987 S in yellow at $50k that's heavily modified with a Turbo, carbon brakes, PASM etc
3. early 987.2 in blue at $45k that's really low miles and perhaps the most sensible option.

I really want the turbo with the carbon brakes, not actually for the turbo, but more for the brakes - really!
I am worried about the turbo and issues it might cause - the earliest and cheapest might be the go; worst case, I get a new motor - surely that's about $10k at most?
So which one should I go for?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/caul...n-s/1189583574
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...G-AD-16213089/
https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/o-ha...-4c/1191396318
Closer to $30K.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:52 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 315 Likes on 222 Posts

I am worried about the turbo and issues it might cause
You should be. Even if it was done well, its a risk to push an engine beyond its design.

I'd get the 987.2, especially if you're going to track it. Porsche did a lot to improve the engine, most notably eliminating the IMS and going to a better oiling system.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:20 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

I have and enjoy a 987.1. That said, I bought the best car within my budget. I would strong!y consider a 987.2 for long term.ownership.

As far as the turbo, the additional power/speed will not be all that useful. And if performance brake pads are not sufficient, you can go to upgraded discs, bigger Porsche brakes or aftermarket kits like AP's RadiCal.

Last edited by RWPinNC; 08-31-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:51 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 169 Likes on 116 Posts

Try to get an ‘09 or later. The engines have proven to be super reliable.
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old 08-16-2018, 08:18 AM
jpdp
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for all the feedback

I did drive the blue Cayman on the weekend and now I am not sure if I will need to go for an S.
I suppose 10 years of driving twin turbos has changed me... I am now used to torque on tap, rather than revs.
I really should have let the owner drive, as I wasn't sure how much I should rev it.

In terms of the oil starvation issues - I did ask my SA at the local Porsche dealership - He did say that you can change the oil pan and something about using the 997 pickups to help avoid oil starvation issues, which isn't too expensive.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:23 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

thanks for all the feedback

I did drive the blue Cayman on the weekend and now I am not sure if I will need to go for an S.
I suppose 10 years of driving twin turbos has changed me... I am now used to torque on tap, rather than revs.
I really should have let the owner drive, as I wasn't sure how much I should rev it.

In terms of the oil starvation issues - I did ask my SA at the local Porsche dealership - He did say that you can change the oil pan and something about using the 997 pickups to help avoid oil starvation issues, which isn't too expensive.
i''ve tracked a 06 cayman s for 8 years now and never had issues. the guys that have issues are the ones that go to a track day bone stock not knowing anything

i do have a 2 quart deep oil pan and run redline 5-50 oil
Old 08-18-2018, 06:24 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wouldn't put too much weight on the brakes btw - with a 987.2 you can run R/Spyder textar pads in there with either the oem or a slotted rotor and it will out-brake almost anything on the street. I believe in terms of stopping power it is one of the best 100-0 cars almost ever made. Track different story. Those parts are really inexpensive and easy to swap.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:38 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I wouldn't put too much weight on the brakes btw - with a 987.2 you can run R/Spyder textar pads in there with either the oem or a slotted rotor and it will out-brake almost anything on the street. I believe in terms of stopping power it is one of the best 100-0 cars almost ever made. Track different story. Those parts are really inexpensive and easy to swap.
exactly

i have r pads in the front with stock pads in the rear running sebro slotted rotors all around with castrol srf brake fluid and have never had any issues and can almost outbrake anything on the track and never have had issues.

987.1 + minor brake mods + oiling mods + good jrz/moton/ohlins shocks + lsd = incredible mid engined track car for 30-40k
Old 08-26-2018, 08:36 AM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

GO with the early model and cheapest. You will either love it and eventually upgrade regardless, or you will not, in which case you will be glad you saved the money.
The first gen are amazingly well balanced fun cars, and they have plenty of power if you drive them correctly (revs high).
would not buy with an aftermarket turbo.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:31 PM
Nick123lv
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 987.1 S as a 2nd car to complement my F80 M3 and love the car. For the price its hard to beat and with minimal upgrades would make a great track car
Old 08-31-2018, 07:00 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

My recommendation would be the 987.2 for all of the reasons outlined above. I have a '12 CS and it stops on a dime with PFC11s on the track. PCCB are cool, but the replacement costs are astronomical. I'd stay away from the turbo car. One of the things that makes these cars special is their NA flat six motor. I totally get what you're referring to with respect to instant torque. I have a supercharged S4 and it takes a few minutes to adjust to the Cayman when I drive it. That said, once you take the revs to 5-7K, it's a blast. Below 4500 rpm nothing really happens. In short, you need to adjust your driving style with the NA motor, but it's way more visceral and fun IMHO.

Quick Reply: Which Cayman for a Cayman newbie?