Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSS9s about to go in, what other upgrades to do at the same time?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 11:48 AM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts
Default PSS9s about to go in, what other upgrades to do at the same time?

Hi All,

I am about in install a set of PSS9s on my base 987.2 Cayman. The car has ~65k miles and no other suspension mods as of yet. I will be having my local independent shop do the install and was wondering what else makes sense to have done at the same time as the coilovers?
My first thought was front and rear sway bars but quickly realized the cost for the bars + their install would be ~$1,000 and I'm hoping the PSS9s will reduce much of the body roll anyway.
I’m wondering what other, more cost effective mods would make more sense? Would it makes sense to replace my front + rear top shock mounts given the mileage I have on the car? Beyond that perhaps some upgraded LCA bushings, thrust arm bushings, and sway bar bushings?? I love quick, sharp steering so whatever would bring the best bang for my buck and improve those facets of the drive I would be open to. The suspension as it is now is fine with nothing obviously worn but just thinking some things could use a refresh. Looking forward to your suggestions. Thx!

Old 07-18-2018, 12:13 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Would it makes sense to replace my front + rear top shock mounts given the mileage I have on the car?
Yes, since the PSS9 don't come with that, this is a perfect time to do it. And if you buy the remaining pieces (big cup washers and small beveled washer in front, and big cup washers in back) from a dismantler like Woody's Parts LLC in Bastrop, TX, you could leave your original strut assemblies intact and possibly save some labor for your mechanic not having to disassemble them to get the parts to transfer over to the PSS9.

Lemforder makes the front strut top, but I don't think there are anyone that makes the back (or I haven't found one that is competitive in price with the Porsche one at around $100 per side). When I did my Boxster I replaced the fronts (could see cracks in the bushing pretty easily) but kept the backs, which I think had been replaced by the previous owner at some point, and looked very new with no cracks.

The other stuff like control arm bushings, track arms, etc... "could" be upgraded at the same time, but you don't get as much of a "while you are in there" benefit since the work to uograde/replace these is about the same whether or not you are replacing the struts at the same time.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:20 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by steved0x
Yes, since the PSS9 don't come with that, this is a perfect time to do it. And if you buy the remaining pieces (big cup washers and small beveled washer in front, and big cup washers in back) from a dismantler like Woody's Parts LLC in Bastrop, TX, you could leave your original strut assemblies intact and possibly save some labor for your mechanic not having to disassemble them to get the parts to transfer over to the PSS9.

Lemforder makes the front strut top, but I don't think there are anyone that makes the back (or I haven't found one that is competitive in price with the Porsche one at around $100 per side). When I did my Boxster I replaced the fronts (could see cracks in the bushing pretty easily) but kept the backs, which I think had been replaced by the previous owner at some point, and looked very new with no cracks.

The other stuff like control arm bushings, track arms, etc... "could" be upgraded at the same time, but you don't get as much of a "while you are in there" benefit since the work to uograde/replace these is about the same whether or not you are replacing the struts at the same time.
Thanks. Looking at the Tarrett monoball front camber plates/mounts to tighten things up beyond oem parts and give me some additional camber as well.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:44 PM
steved0x
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Thanks. Looking at the Tarrett monoball front camber plates/mounts to tighten things up beyond oem parts and give me some additional camber as well.
Nice! This is the perfect time to do it!

Quick Reply: PSS9s about to go in, what other upgrades to do at the same time?