New to the club: Picking up CGTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 PM
mcduel91
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the club: Picking up CGTS

Hi All -

After 6 months in the market for a GT3 or 911 GTS, and nearly buying a host of other cars ranging from a z06 to a lotus out of frustration of not finding the right build or reasonable markup in either of the aforementioned, I've finally pulled the trigger on a 2018 Cayman GTS I pick up Thursday. Mere coincidence that I went to a random dealer to look for 911s and they had the exact CGTS I would build. After a test drive, I realized this thing is more than enough car to enjoy out on the streets and is perhaps more enjoyable in some ways. The sound doesn't bother me at all.

This will be my first Porsche and first sports car up in this price range. I've already been busy combing the forms for detailing advice, and I'm having the front of the car wrapped in XPEL Ultimate before I pick it up. I plan to drive the heck out of it (weekends...), and also track it a few times per year (perhaps many). I'm also thinking about adding a trip down to Porsche driving school for kicks, though suspect it may be more cost effective to do something at my local track.

Anyway, no real reason for this post other than to say hello and that I'm looking forward to joining the club. If anyone has any 718 tips for a very excited new owner, I'm all ears. Will be trolling the forum to extract as much info as I can.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:35 PM
tubedude
6th Gear

Congrats on your purchase! I’m a new Porsche & 718 owner too. The only advice I can give if the break in period is hell! 😂. It is very tempting to rev past 4k RPM, but even underneath it’s still very fun and has enough power to get you in trouble. I’m finding myself organising highway trips just to get through it ASAP.

The protective wrap is a good idea. I’m getting mine coated in Ceramic Pro inside and out(wheels included). It’s a hydrophobic, UV and scratch resistant ceramic coating. Not only will it protect it will also make keeping it clean a relatively simple task. Might be something you might be interested in as well!

Also thinking of going to the driving school as well, looks like a blast. The instructors here in Australia seem to be current and retired V8 supercar drivers. It’s around 2500km away from where I am, but definitely considering flying up for a weekend in our summer.

Tuning and exhausts were something I was interested in, and you may be too. Fairly limited right now. Seems all tuning solutions available require bench flashing or modification to the ECU to allow flashing through the OBD-2 port. COBB tune on a stock GTS is apparently making an additional 40hp to the wheels. There’s others, such as Ehresmann, that are getting almost an additional 60hp out of them with the BMC filter and tune, or all the way up to 450hp with the filter, exhaust and tune. Not something I’m going to pursue until there’s more reviews or conventional flashing is supported.

hope you enjoy your new car!

Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 593 Likes on 377 Posts

Cayman GTS is a mostly unloved unsung hero of Porsche's line up. It's a great car and deserves far, far more praise and recognition than it gets. You're going to LOVE it.

Enjoy!
Old 06-27-2018, 01:18 PM
1337driver
Track Day

Congratulations! I foresee zero regret in your future.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:51 PM
CaymanMatt
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by tubedude
Congrats on your purchase! I’m a new Porsche & 718 owner too. The only advice I can give if the break in period is hell! 😂. It is very tempting to rev past 4k RPM, but even underneath it’s still very fun and has enough power to get you in trouble. I’m finding myself organising highway trips just to get through it ASAP.

The protective wrap is a good idea. I’m getting mine coated in Ceramic Pro inside and out(wheels included). It’s a hydrophobic, UV and scratch resistant ceramic coating. Not only will it protect it will also make keeping it clean a relatively simple task. Might be something you might be interested in as well!

Also thinking of going to the driving school as well, looks like a blast. The instructors here in Australia seem to be current and retired V8 supercar drivers. It’s around 2500km away from where I am, but definitely considering flying up for a weekend in our summer.

Tuning and exhausts were something I was interested in, and you may be too. Fairly limited right now. Seems all tuning solutions available require bench flashing or modification to the ECU to allow flashing through the OBD-2 port. COBB tune on a stock GTS is apparently making an additional 40hp to the wheels. There’s others, such as Ehresmann, that are getting almost an additional 60hp out of them with the BMC filter and tune, or all the way up to 450hp with the filter, exhaust and tune. Not something I’m going to pursue until there’s more reviews or conventional flashing is supported.

hope you enjoy your new car!

Yes, the break in period is hell! {: (} Just got past 300 miles, running at 25-40 miles per trip. Keeping off the highway to prevent running at a particular rpm for extended distances. It's fortunate we have lots of lightly traveled twisty roads in NH/VT. We did XPel on front half, including rockers, but haven't done any ceramic yet. Seriously considering it for the near future.

Enjoy your car. I agree with others - you will never regret the purchase!
Old 06-27-2018, 04:57 PM
Klepper
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 138 Posts

It's a fantastic car, you will love it!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:40 PM
donR
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 118 Posts

Look forward to hearing how it goes and seeing some photos.

The Cayman GTS certainly gets great reviews all over and I hear the sound has also improved .

I really like the alcantara finish myself and in Australia we get PTV as standard which is something I would really like for spirited driving on tight mountain roads. I assume it is now standard in the US?

I am still looking but certainly leaning towards the 718 GTS if I can stretch the budget and get an order in before production ends.

I really like some of the Techart options if you want to individualise, otherwise there is not much to do to the GTS and I assume you want to avoid a tune until it is out of warranty. Besides it is fast enough as is.

The larger Girodisc two piece rotors also seem like a good upgrade when you wear out your discs. They are only slotted so not sure if aesthetically they look as good as the drilled OEM but the larger size is better. I wonder if you could get them drilled for that OEM look?
Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 PM
991.2forme
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, I just picked up my CGTS in Chalk 2 weeks ago.

I didn't worry about the break-in period, and my sales guy (who is truly a Porsche-phile from Germany) also scoffed at the idea. From what I understand, after 200 miles, Porsche turns their cars loose for the auto-journalists to track and otherwise hoon.

In any case, I love the 6 speed manual and I'm spoiled to live near some of the best roads in the country (Colorado mountains).

Planning an open-lapping day this coming Thursday at my local racetrack, still with my temp tags and about 600 miles on the car - I will post up some video on YouTube.

Anyway - congrats! I'm curious on the front mask/wrapping options. My Porsche dealer wants $2k to wrap the whole front in their clear mask (same thing they have on the 918 Spyder in the showroom) - includes front fenders and mirrors. Probably not a bad idea.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:52 PM
mcduel91
8th Gear

I picked it up today but unfortunately a dense fog and rain set in immediately. Still went out for 30 miles but looking forward to getting it out on some dry runs and warm sunshine (after a polishing up) tomorrow. I'm debating the break-in period. Have had many similar conversations. The wrap came out great, though I'll see if I notice any little details when I wax it. I did the front up to the mirrors - seemed like a reasonable investment.

Pictures and stories to come as the skies clear...
Old 06-29-2018, 08:36 AM
tubedude
6th Gear

Looking forward to the pics! Unlucky with the weather

I'm curious about the break-in period as well... From the engineers and engine builders I know, they basically say not to baby the engine while breaking it in. I have had other advise against staying at high RPM for excessive periods of time the first few hundred miles (I think Mercedes told me around the 1000km mark; Ferrari 600miles or roughly 1000km as well), but its not for 2000miles.. I think there's more confusion due to conflicting information both supposedly from Porsche. One says
For American customers, we must recommend you to keep it below 4200rpm, for everyone else we suggest use it as you normally would: careful while cold, then flat out.
... then from another Porsche engineer
Porsche wants the engine to break-in slowly, which means it needs to maintain a lower operating temperature (below 4,000 RPM) and to allow all parts to adjust within their own thermal expansion parameters
Then of course, Porsche sell their track & driving school cars with full warranty after thousands miles of track driving without a break in period...
Old 06-29-2018, 07:53 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Delivery in Atlanta PEC

Across from PEC

GTS at park

Atlanta PEC

GTS in park
Congratulations and best wishes with your new CGTS. I just picked up my Sapphire Blue Cayman GTS three weeks ago. It is a fantastic car and you are going to really enjoy it. I had mine wrapped with SunTec including the entire front, rocker panels, intakes and spoiler. I also had the windows done on SunTec Carbon. I might cross the 1000 mile mark this weekend. Best of luck with your new car and welcome to the forum.

Last edited by OldJedi; 06-29-2018 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:43 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks beautiful!! Love the color! Did you get a discount or were able to negotiate? If so, what percentage did you get off?
Old 07-13-2018, 09:28 PM
OldJedi
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 283 Posts

Porsche West Broward offered me 2% off the ordered car. Champion gave me 6% off the same car. I went with Champion. Both are very good dealerships one was more willing to work with me. Plus PWB had a $1000 dealer fee as well and that was just not going to happen. They were very good when they first opened but over the past two years the management has changed several times and they are not the same dealership as when they started.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:45 PM
Pruettfan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on your car. Just a comment on a good driving school versus doing track days on your own. I debated this much myself when my M2 was on the boat and decided to do the two day M School and then did the Advanced M School. Those schools prepared me well to effectively and safely take my precious car to the track. Taking your own car to track (assuming you insure it) costs about $600-800 per hour behind the wheel all in. Porsche provides 12 hours of education with their cars and professional instructors for $2,800 so less than half the cost on a per hour basis than tracking your own car. The value of instruction cannot be underestimated, I strongly encourage anyone thinking of tracking their baby to first get good professional instruction, it is cheap insurance and tremendous fun.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:15 AM
JamesQuam
8th Gear

Heartiest congratulations on your purchase buddy.

Quick Reply: New to the club: Picking up CGTS