Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a fair offer for this 2014 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:05 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What a fair offer for this 2014 Cayman S

2014 Cayman S
Black
Mileage: ~ 45,400
PDK
PASM
Sport Crono
Premium Package
14 Way seats
Infotainment with Bose

Other stuff:

The car was purchased under CPO warranty and 40K service was performed.
Clean Carfax but I will be the 4th owner. First owner put 20k miles, second was about the same as well.
Car was purchased in March 2013 (so 5 years old)
Front brakes and rotors replaced during 40K
Rears brakes are at 30 - 50% of life left (visual guess)
Cosmetically the car looks very good. Certainly well taken care of.
No PPI report. I will need to get it done if I decide to purchase.

My primary concern is the very high mileage (I intend to put about 10K miles per year myself). I am unable to find any examples in my area of such a high mileage Cayman S, nationwide search gets me some results priced at 45/46K. My question is if I should buy the car with such high mileage? What is a reasonable offer assuming the PPI shows no mechanical issues?
Old 06-28-2018, 12:08 PM
eZg
Intermediate

it's such a crazy market.......is this a private party sale or dealer?
Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eZg
it's such a crazy market.......is this a private party sale or dealer?
Private Party
Old 06-28-2018, 12:18 PM
eZg
Intermediate

just my opinion....but at least private sale you have a chance to negotiate well. If seller is motivated you stand a better chance of reaching a price that is a value to YOU.

Just rem, the value will drop considerably once it reaches 100K miles. (At least in my mind) If you can enjoy it enough till then and have reasonable hope of value around that mileage, I would certainly be fine with buying the car at 48K miles. They aren't making any more NA engines unless you are willing to shell out big $ for 718 GT4. I guess at this point that is still an uncertainty.

good luck!!
Old 06-28-2018, 03:30 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the seller asking for? That is a high mileage vehicle compared with other 2014 cars. Autotrader has a few listed between 44000 and 48000.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:37 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kayman
What is the seller asking for? That is a high mileage vehicle compared with other 2014 cars. Autotrader has a few listed between 44000 and 48000.
Asking for 49,500. I cant find many examples with that many miles to compare with.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:28 AM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

$49,500 is too high.

In my morning Email:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CALERTSEMLSRCH
Old 06-30-2018, 03:49 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billwot
$49,500 is too high.

In my morning Email:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CALERTSEMLSRCH
Yeah, I agree. But the owner does not want to budge and lectured me couple of times on how his car is more valuable than I think it is. I am holding for him to respond to my offer, but think I will walk away from this one.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:07 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

If you apply the,"Buy the car in the best possible condition with the lowest miles for the money you have to spend" rule, then you need to look further than the car you're currently considering. Cargurus.com has several 2014 Cayman S listed in the price range of the car you are looking at and with half the mileage.

Also, don't disregard the value of a CPO warranty. Porsche just paid out an a$$load of money to replace failed front strut tower brackets on my 2014 CPO Cayman. Things do go wrong and paying for stuff like that on these cars isn't an inexpensive proposition. I can state from recent experience that walking out of a dealership with a receipt that reads, "TOTAL DUE: $ 00.00" is very pleasant.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:29 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by needaporsche
Yeah, I agree. But the owner does not want to budge and lectured me couple of times on how his car is more valuable than I think it is. I am holding for him to respond to my offer, but think I will walk away from this one.
Just an interesting FYI: When I posted that link, the listed price was actually $45,xxx. Then I checked it a couple hours later, and they had bumped it up to that $47,933 figure.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:15 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by billwot
Just an interesting FYI: When I posted that link, the listed price was actually $45,xxx. Then I checked it a couple hours later, and they had bumped it up to that $47,933 figure.
Interesting, I am looking for cars in California, so I can drive up and take a look in person. I would rather pay more at a dealership and get the warranty than pay for travel and shipping.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:16 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TMc993
If you apply the,"Buy the car in the best possible condition with the lowest miles for the money you have to spend" rule, then you need to look further than the car you're currently considering. Cargurus.com has several 2014 Cayman S listed in the price range of the car you are looking at and with half the mileage.

Also, don't disregard the value of a CPO warranty. Porsche just paid out an a$$load of money to replace failed front strut tower brackets on my 2014 CPO Cayman. Things do go wrong and paying for stuff like that on these cars isn't an inexpensive proposition. I can state from recent experience that walking out of a dealership with a receipt that reads, "TOTAL DUE: $ 00.00" is very pleasant.
Agreed.
Old 07-03-2018, 11:58 PM
imstimpy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

In my week of research, Things that pull 981s below about $48k are high mileage, have an accident/salvage, or the build spec is just awful. Many of the prices seem overinflated but I have yet to call people on it to see if they move. There are plenty of cars that have been for sale for months and should theoretically have some room to come down.

CPO on many makes is worth $2-4k. Depending upon the expiry, you might find yourself owning and selling the car before the CPO expires.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:47 PM
Mike127
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a little high, but not too much imo. I currently have a 2014 CS with 41k miles on it as my daily driver I check autotrader/etc pretty often, most cars available below $48k have minimal options.

Sport Chrono and PASM add a fair amount of $ because that's hard to find anywhere near that price range. The 40k already being done is a big + as well since that is a pretty penny as well (dealers quoted me over 2k)

Hypothetically if I were selling mine based on market prices I'd ask $49,900. (I have basically the same spec except I have PSE and PDLS while no PASM.)

I bought mine at 24k miles two years ago and have had no real issues in the past 17k miles. Two coil packs became faulty while under warranty, since then i've had to replace one more (weirdly common issue in hot climate) which was a $60 fix and 15 minutes of work.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 PM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Similar to the 14 Cayman S I recently bought. Mine had 42k on the clock, PDK, PASM, PSE, Sport Chrono, 19' Carrera Sport wheels, sport steering wheel - basically everything I wanted without stuff I didn't care about (infotainment, power seats, dual climate, etc). Sticker was around $79k if I remember correctly. I'm a third owner with no accidents and good service records. I ended up paying $42700 and had to replace brakes. No regrets on my purchase, could I have waited another 6 months and found a little better deal? Maybe, but I have enjoyed the heck out of the car during that period and my previous car was at a good point to sell at the time. Don't think it's too far off if you can bring them down a bit.

Quick Reply: What a fair offer for this 2014 Cayman S