Sponsored by:

Displaying Engine Oil Level

Old 06-07-2018, 02:10 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Displaying Engine Oil Level

From the manual:

"Under certain circumstances it is not possible to display the oil level. The reasons for this include:

Engine is cold
Vehicle has been stopped after full-load operation at high engine speeds
Engine oil temperature is too high
Open rear luggage compartment lid.
A message about this appears on the multifunction display.

Vehicle is level.
The engine is at operating temperature and has been stopped for at least one minute."

This seems to suggest that the engine should not be running when we take a level measurement. It also seems to suggest that the measurement will not be available unless we're at operating temperature.

However, I am able to see an oil level all the time. I turn my ignition on, scroll and select, and it shows the oil level. I start the car with then engine cold, and I get an oil level. While I'm driving with the engine at operating temperature, I can get an oil level.

So the combination of the car and the manual have confused me again. How, exactly, does the oil level measurement work?
Old 06-08-2018, 12:36 AM
Tief Lernen
Racer

Received 323 Likes on 142 Posts

I think it just displays the reading from the last time it was able to measure it successfully.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:26 AM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

So you're saying that the proper reading is had when the engine is not running. I found it odd that it would give a reading with it running, because elsewhere - say with the TPMS - they tell you that a reading is not available until conditions are met, and tell you what those conditions are.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:57 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tief Lernen
I think it just displays the reading from the last time it was able to measure it successfully.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Displaying Engine Oil Level