Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Upgrading 987.1S brakes

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:46 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Upgrading 987.1S brakes

Search on this forum came up w nada. I am tracking my Cayman S and have done several mods. Seats and brakes are next and hopefully the last items. What are you using? Suncoast has a “big brake kit” for $4k and it is a 6 piston/350mm set up. It requires 19” wheels. Shark Werks has the Brembo F50 front kit for about $3700. It is 4 piston and 355mm setup. Will 997.1 or .2. brakes work if I can find some used ones? Will my current fronts work on the rear of the car? TIA.
r
Old 06-10-2018, 02:40 PM
nad617
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a 2008 Cayman S. I use girodisc rotors, pagid yellows and a Gt3 master cylinder with SRF fluid. I run RE-71r tires. The rotors and MC cost about 2400$ and has served me well running in advanced PCA run groups.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:20 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by RobC4sX51
Search on this forum came up w nada. I am tracking my Cayman S and have done several mods. Seats and brakes are next and hopefully the last items. What are you using? Suncoast has a “big brake kit” for $4k and it is a 6 piston/350mm set up. It requires 19” wheels. Shark Werks has the Brembo F50 front kit for about $3700. It is 4 piston and 355mm setup. Will 997.1 or .2. brakes work if I can find some used ones? Will my current fronts work on the rear of the car? TIA.
r
Don't use the 6 piston kit because it is total overkill and whatever you do, don't put the fronts on the rear. A) it will not improve your braking performance and B) it will screw with your ABS.

The suggestion above is an excellent start and preserves the original calipers. If you want to go a step further, use the 996 GT3 calipers up front.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Thanks to you both. I will look for some 996 GT3 brakes.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:52 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Adding to this thread......... It appears that a Porsche "Sport Front Brake Pad" set is offered as an upgrade for the front, which gets the most wear. Seems to be OEM on the "R" series. Anyone chime in on the performance level of this package. "R" pads on the rear are also different but not offered as an upgrade.......... Thx!
Old 06-11-2018, 03:00 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

I’m currently using Pagid yellow (29) pads front and back on slotted front and rear rotors but oem size and stock calipers, for the track! They squeal like a stuck hog on the street so I swap them to oem pads when not tracking. They were ok but I was looking for a bit more brake. I will look at the GD rotors front and rear and see what that option does & costs. Thx.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:28 PM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

We have a fantastic AP Racing Radi-CAL Brake Kit option that several here on the forum are succesfully running. It's fully sorted, bolts on with no other modifications, and will be far more effective than the other solutions that have been mentioned. If you want to run our front kit with something else in the rear, that's completely viable as well. The front brakes are more of the problem area and take more of the abuse. Our setup is as close as one can get to what the 911 RSR is running in IMSA.

Front
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...p9661355mm-987

Rear
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...28-987-981-718

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 06-11-2018, 09:03 PM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts

The biggest issue for me on a 987 was cooling. Best improvement was Olsen Motorsports ($$) front brake ducts.
Old 06-11-2018, 10:44 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Lehman
The biggest issue for me on a 987 was cooling. Best improvement was Olsen Motorsports ($$) front brake ducts.
Thanks Bill, I did the GT3 cooling ducts early on and have OZ racing wheels which have great cooling design too. I will check these out now. Any thoughts re brakes! Are oem rotors sufficient? Calipers? I will do 4-6 DEs a year and daily drive the car. My Indy mechanic says to stay stock, I’m leaning towards the Giro Disc rotors even though the pad area is the same, it lowers unsprung weight and better cooling .
Old 06-12-2018, 09:16 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with F&R Stoptech BBK including 2 piece rotors, calipers, and ss hoses on my 987.2 with 18" wheels. On the advice of Stoptech, I went with the 4 pot front calipers since they're entirely adequate for the job, cost less, and worked better on my daily driver. Was very happy with them and got great life out of the rotors.
Bern
Old 06-13-2018, 12:25 PM
RobC4sX51
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bernb6
I went with F&R Stoptech BBK including 2 piece rotors, calipers, and ss hoses on my 987.2 with 18" wheels. On the advice of Stoptech, I went with the 4 pot front calipers since they're entirely adequate for the job, cost less, and worked better on my daily driver. Was very happy with them and got great life out of the rotors.
Bern
Nice but way more money than I want to spend! Hoping to upgrade to a GT4 in a few years so don’t want to put a ton of money into this 987.1! But thx.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:31 AM
Moochier
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey RobC4s,

i spend way way too many hours on this subject, researching how to upgrade the Oem brakes on my Cayman R. I ended up doing a complete front and rear upgrade to 997.1 GT3 brakes, including the master cylinder and running 350mm disks all round.

It was expensive, just under usd$5k + rotors + pads + labour (unless your doing it yourself)

But the outcome for me was worth it, it’s still all oem Porsche gear and it bolted up with no spacers or custom anything.

Any it stops like like nothing else and I haven’t had a single brake issue again, well, I’ve only done 8 track days on this setup, but my oem cayman brakes were causing me grief every trackday, so this is so far maintenance free!

my pads are lasting 3-4 times longer, so are my rotors from what I can tell, and I haven’t had to bleed the brakes once yet, although I will soon, just for good measure.

if this sounds in your budget, I can post up all the part numbers. There are a couple of quirks to getting all the right parts so they work together on cayman not 911.

Old 06-14-2018, 11:10 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

cayman is a momentum car, work on carrying more speed through the corners. Your stock brakes with pagid pads and decent cooling should be more than enough.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:34 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Adding to this thread......... It appears that a Porsche "Sport Front Brake Pad" set is offered as an upgrade for the front, which gets the most wear. Seems to be OEM on the "R" series. Anyone chime in on the performance level of this package. "R" pads on the rear are also different but not offered as an upgrade.......... Thx!
I can comment on it, I have a Spyder and have used the stock (Textar non-p label) pads on the track. I installed the GT3 cooling ducts, a total no brainer - they are dirt cheap and work well - just why not? I primarily drive at COTA, use 18" NT01 on track, 4 piston with the "R" pads, high-temp fluid has been plenty - no fade in 25 min sessions, temps were cool enough.

That said, when I replace rotors, I will go either slotted From what I understand, slotted are better than stock, inexpensive, and work. I've debated more track-purpose pads and may get them at some point, but I've found that I'm not hammering the brakes. The cars are more momentum and a late heavy brake doesn't get you that much more in terms of lap times IMHO. I'm squarely in the middle of the Yellow group in terms of times.

For the low cost of Texta R pads - I'd try them first and see how it goes.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:28 PM
bmw_e30
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
i use these oem r pads in the front and oem pads in the rear with slotted sebro rotors all around and catrol srf brake fluid and gt3 brake ducts

no issues after 15+ track days in 8 years of owning the car plus setting pretty fast times all across california tracks. much improved pedal feel from stock cheese grater rotors/fluids/pads. porsche use best brake hardware in the world it would be stupid to spend money to change them unless you are pro racing.....

Quick Reply: Upgrading 987.1S brakes