Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to replace my battery. Please give this newbie suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 01:27 AM
seemyad
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need to replace my battery. Please give this newbie suggestions.

I drive a 2011 Cayman. My car only clicks now versus starting. I drive it three to four days per week. I want an AGM battery with the positive post on the left side.

If the post is on the right side I don't see how the cables can reach across the battery. Or do you turn the battery facing backwards?

I'd like to stay under $300, but I don't want a bargain basement battery.

What are some good options and where do I purchase?

Also, based on the weight of lifting the 50 pound battery does one stand inside the frunk? I weigh 210 pounds.

Thanks for helping a newbie.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:57 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

interstate makes excellent replacement batteries and good dealers will sell them instead of the lousier oem battery... they could even install it for you

or just find an interstate dealer in the area, as dealer install plus battery may exceed $300
Old 05-30-2018, 12:23 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Just checking....do you have it on a tender when not driving it? I'm assuming that you do, but just checking. This is HIGHLY recommended, depending on the distances that you drive. I drive mine only on weekends and it's on a tender at least 2 weeks/month.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:03 AM
seemyad
Intermediate

I just ordered a tender today. I drive my Cayman frequently, at least three days per week. Lately I drove it every day because my BMW plate expired and it took a while to get it registered in CA due to the crappy, crowded DMV's in Silicon Valley.

I live in Sunnyvale CA and take weekend road trips to San Francisco, Santa Cruz, etc.Now that my BMW is registered I will likely drop back to my Friday - Sunday Cayman use and use my tender Monday - Thursday. That said I will be installing an AGM battery, which should be more resilient than the current battery type. The tender I ordered works for deep-cycle AGM and regular batteries.

Great question.
Old 06-01-2018, 02:50 AM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree with the suggestion of using an Interstate brand AGM battery. The post locations on mine seem to be the same as OEM battery.
Bought mine at Costco IIRC, and it was much cheaper than Porsche OEM “Moll” brand.
Yes, you can stand/sit in the frunk to lift the battery in and out.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:21 PM
seemyad
Intermediate

My "Battery Tender 022-0185G-dl-wh Black 12 Volt 1.25 Amp Plus Battery Charger/Maintainer" came in yesterday.
Amazon Amazon

I attached it last night. The tender indicates the battery is fully charged as of this morning.

I drove my Cayman to work today. I brought my portable battery jumper with me (not the maintainer I just received).

I'll give her a try in a few minutes to get some tea at a nearby shop.

I contacted Interstate batteries and will try to drive out there this afternoon for a replacement. I noticed the one in my car is also an Interstate with a 6 year warranty..

Thanks everyone for your input. Please keep it coming.

Quick Reply: Need to replace my battery. Please give this newbie suggestions.