Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch feeling weird

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 08:35 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Clutch feeling weird

Hey all,

I've had my 987.2 Cayman for about 5 weeks or so maybe. It's got 41k miles on it. When I got it I never noticed any odd feeling with the clutch but did have one incident of slipping when I got on it on a down shift turn. I'm certain driver error played a part since I was brand new to the car, but it may not have been driver error exclusively. But I have noticed that there is a "funny" feel when I am pushing in the clutch when shifting. I'm no mechanic by any means but the best way I can describe it is a gritty feeling when I'm shifting and depressing the clutch. As if some sand was poured in the clutch somewhere. (To be clear, I don't at all think it's sand. lol ) The clutch does not seem stiffer or looser, just a that gritty feeling. And the gritty feeling is not present at all unless the car is driving and upshifting. When downshifting with minimal RPM's it's not noticeable. If it's not in gear and the I push in the clutch, there is zero gritty feel.

Anyone ever heard anything like this or maybe have experienced it?

Thanks
Old 05-26-2018, 02:50 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Update: Clutch is just fine. Took it to the one of the most respected Porsche service spots around and had the owner take my Cayman for a spin. He said totally normal feel to the clutch and I was only feeling the difference between under load and under no load. It just feels different than my last couple cars but then again the Cayman is far different than either of those.

So that's that. Lovvving the car though!
Old 05-28-2018, 11:52 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

In spite of the fact someone gave the clutch a stamp of approval -- which I have not much confidence in frankly as neither my Boxster (even after 317K miles) or my 996 Turbo (with 161K miles) clutch felt any different under load or not under load -- my advice is you have the brake and clutch fluid flushed and bled. Probably not at the shop you got the opinion from. The brake and clutch hydraulic systems share fluid and the fluid should be flushed/bled every 2 years. While one might not think this is necessary to do every 2 years my experience with my Boxster is "old" fluid (actually fluid that has absorbed moisture) can substantially affect the clutch's action and this in turn affects how the transmission shifts.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:46 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
In spite of the fact someone gave the clutch a stamp of approval -- which I have not much confidence in frankly as neither my Boxster (even after 317K miles) or my 996 Turbo (with 161K miles) clutch felt any different under load or not under load -- my advice is you have the brake and clutch fluid flushed and bled. Probably not at the shop you got the opinion from. The brake and clutch hydraulic systems share fluid and the fluid should be flushed/bled every 2 years. While one might not think this is necessary to do every 2 years my experience with my Boxster is "old" fluid (actually fluid that has absorbed moisture) can substantially affect the clutch's action and this in turn affects how the transmission shifts.
So for clarification, if I have the "brake fluid" flushed, that actually refreshes both the brake and clutch fluid?
Old 05-28-2018, 09:49 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by billwot
So for clarification, if I have the "brake fluid" flushed, that actually refreshes both the brake and clutch fluid?
Yes and maybe. They share the same fluid, but on most cars there is also a bleed for the clutch cylinder.

Quick Reply: Clutch feeling weird