Sponsored by: APR

Composite Concept GT4 wing from Jon

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 07:57 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Composite Concept GT4 wing from Jon

After doing a lot of research, I have decided to get the "trackmaster" wing from Jon, the wing is similar design as the GT4 but a bit narrower. After contacting Jon with some questions, I decided to place the order. The wing shipped quickly from him and arrived very well packaged. The instructions to install is clear and he was very responsive through email! Thumbs up for Jon. The wing is well made and very light weight, with the hardware it is about 12-13lbs.

I installed the wing over the winter and took it out to Mosport for some HPDE this past weekend, the difference in high speed stability was immediately felt, the back end seems much more planted in the back straight and through the corner. I also have a Joe Toth rear diffuser and front splitter to help balance the car. The front splitter changed the turn in characteristic noticeably, I would highly recommend it to go along with this wing.

Here are a few pictures of it on the car. I have also added a home made Porsche decal to the wing.

Last edited by Neb; 05-10-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-17-2018, 07:51 AM
Rick_H
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great!
Old 05-21-2018, 12:15 AM
Brian C in Az
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also ordered that wing from Jon in October. The first one had a noticeable warp/ twist to it. The holes for the mount hardware were not centered properly; they were 1.25" offset. The winglets are rough cut and need to be sanded and painted. What's the point of buying a carbon fiber part if you have to sand a paint it?!?! Jon tried talking me out of insisting on a replacement. He said that the shop that makes them for him makes them all the same way, so all of them are warped and twisted with the holes not centered? He begrudgingly sent me a new wing. The new wing was less twisted, but still visible to anyone with an eye for detail.

The winglets are simply rough cut from flat sheet stock. They are not finished and must be sanded and painted. I have never seen carbon fiber parts come unfinished like these.

The 2nd wing was also cut incorrectly and the holes were 3/4" offset. The nut inserts are set in wood in the mold, then the wing is trimmed after the epoxy dries. They don't know how to measure properly and cut the wing such that the holes are centered. Jon obviously doesn't care. He said there was nothing he could do. Really? He can't demand better?
I noticed that the nut inserts were at inconsistant depths. I texted him to let him know that the provided screws did not go deep enough for a secure grip. His reply was "What did you do to the wing?" I texted back, "Nothing, I tried to screw your brackets in and the threads barely engaged 2 turns."

I made new hardware to center the wing on the car. I also bought screws that were long enough to properly secure the wing.

The kit includes sheet metal screws to attach the wing to the rear deck lid. SERIOUSLY?? Sheet metal screws are not structural. The wing must be bolted properly unless the car is a poser for mall cruising at 20 mph.I was headed to COTA in November. Had I installed the wing with his hardware and screws, I'm sure that the wing would have blown off on the back straight as soon as I hit triple digit speeds; especially had I used his brackets with the too short of screws. I can imagine the damage it could have caused hitting another car at 130 plus mph.

The rear deck lid is not flat, but Jon's mounts are. So instead of making proper mount with a correspondingly correct angle, he includes 5/8" foam tape to hide the gaps. What a piece of crap. If you use the foam tape and tighten the screws, the foam will compress and the uprights will not be straight. I had to make my own mounts as well.

The epoxy that he uses is a low grade, the wing must be painted. Normal car cleaners discolor and remove the gloss to the epoxy. Everyone that posts a picture of their wing shows it painted. I bought a carbon fiber wing for the carbon fiber look. Now the wing had dull spots from normal use and cleaning. Carbon fiber and epoxy aren't supposed to do that.

Buying from Jon was a big mistake.

Jon's parts are not well thought out designs. He doesn't care (at least he didn't when I offered him some suggestions to improve the quality and SAFETY of his product).
Joe Toth makes better quality parts that fit correctly and his parts align with factory parts properly. He also doesn't mind discussing improvements after the sale.

Quick Reply: Composite Concept GT4 wing from Jon