Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on sprint booster and/or ECU

Old 05-07-2018, 02:37 PM
rykwong
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on sprint booster and/or ECU

I have a Cayman 987.2 base MT without any mods. Car is for only street use. What are people’s thoughts on these two items? Softronic, EVOMS, VR? Is it worth it? I have researched on the forums and seen mainly stuff on th CS models and PDK. Thanks.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:33 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rykwong
I have a Cayman 987.2 base MT without any mods. Car is for only street use. What are people’s thoughts on these two items? Softronic, EVOMS, VR? Is it worth it? I have researched on the forums and seen mainly stuff on th CS models and PDK. Thanks.
Tuning a naturally aspirated time is not a good use of money and time in my opinion. The gains are marginal and you introduce the potential of reducing reliability. A much better bang for the buck would be to invest in parts that improve the driving experience. Examples: tires, brakes, exhaust, short shifter, coil-overs, etc. It all depends on what you intend to do with the car and what you want out of it, but I personally wouldn't waste my money on tuning as the gains are small and expensive.

If you're running a forced induction car, it's a totally different story.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:31 AM
ETP66
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done the EVOMS Tune, IPD / Throttle Body and the Sprint Booster along with a Billy Boat Cat Back Exhaust on 987.1 Cayman S. My Opinion, Great sound with noticeable mid range response and much quicker throttle response. All the mods where done within a few weeks of each other and it took approx 500-1000 miles for everything to sort out. The mods aren't cheap then again you can't take it with you. Enjoy the ride.
Old 03-14-2019, 07:07 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rykwong
Without question I would go with the Suncoast Porsche Sport Mode software. Even uses the OEM Sport Mode buttons to look like an option rather than an add-on. And it's fairly cheap, by some standards. Read the reviews on the site and then also google search it. You will find more opinions, not sure if I saw a negative one. I just bought a new set of tires upgraded my exhaust (MANDATORY for a 987.2!) this week or else I would have added this Suncoast Sport Mode to my Cayman already. It's my next modification for sure.
Suncoast Sport Mode
Old 03-21-2019, 02:12 PM
aacocella1
3rd Gear

On 6speedOnline i've read some really good reviews on Sprint Booster. They are sponsored over there and they posted this page with Porsche sprint booster reviews. https://www.sprintboostersales.com/S...or-PORSCHE.cfm

The registered user names are in the reviews and i'm sure they'd answer any questions. I've talked to one of them that drive a Panamera and he loves it.

Had one in my BMW and Mercedes. I really do believe in the product while others aren't to sure. You just gotta try it.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:25 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

Bought a low mileage 2012 X5M and within few hundred miles of ownership, I was like OMG, what the heck did I just buy. The lag when the paddle's pushed was unbearable so much so that I really contemplating selling the dang thing.

In comes the Sprint booster and once again, OMG what an instant change in throttle response, the lag is just gone, nada, finito. Honestly this is how the X5M should have come from the factory. I love driving this dang thing now.
Old 05-04-2019, 11:21 AM
BlueBoxter
8th Gear

My 987.2 Base throttle is lazy comparing to my Mazda RX8 or BMW e90 M3.

Sprint booster v3 fixed it. I don't use it all the time, but I wouldn't want to be without it.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:35 PM
dlbehrns
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW: I installed the Sprint Booster on a 99 Mercedes CLK 320 and it made all the difference in the world however, with my 14Cayman Base model in Sport mode, the car responds as good as I could hope to expect. Those with Sport Chrono; I can't imagine installing a Sprint Booster. I loved it on my Mercedes but won't bother spending the money for the Porsche.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thoughts on sprint booster and/or ECU