Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Having difficulty finding a used Cayman I like

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 04:43 PM
Dolomick
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Having difficulty finding a used Cayman I like

Looking for advice here. I used to have a Kawasaki moto, but after our son was born two years ago, I sold it to make the wife happy. She has now agreed that me having a used Cayman or Boxster for around $25k would be a good idea for daddy's sanity. I live near some great roads in the hills/mountains north of Los Angeles and I would drive it on weekends up there only.

I keep going back on forth on a 2009 or newer base model vs a 2006-2008 S model, looking for advice here. I would be learning to drive stick in it, and although I understand all the concepts from my motorcycle years, I would need to learn the new muscle memory. Most of the used 2009 Caymans in LA go for $25-28k and there are plenty of used 2006-08 S models for around $19-25K. There are two current 2007 Cayman S's that have replaced engines for $25k, both of which have upgraded IMS bearings and one has a direct oil feed. Problem is I am still concerned about potential scorched bores on all these older models - how concerned should I be? What would you do with that amount of money - buy a base '09 or one of the aforementioned S's? Since I'd be learning stick maybe a base would be fun enough? What about Boxsters - there are 2010 S models for $25K out there, are there any reasons other than aesthetics I shouldn't have my cake and eat it too - meaning get a newer non-IMS car that is also a bit faster? My issue with those is that I really do think the back ends are quite unattractive with the top up, but maybe I just need to get over it.

Anyhow, thanks for any advice or comments on what you would do in my position - I've been looking since November and it's now April, I'm getting a little antsy here.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:50 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

First things first, meaning that you should decide whether you want a coupe or cabriolet first.
There is a significant difference in the overall experience between a coupe and cab and the only way to understand it is to drive each.
With your motorcycle background you might like the cabriolet experience better. I personally would choose a cab first (though I’m fortunate to have one of each).
There is more bang for the buck to be had with an ‘06-‘08 Boxster than anything else out there of that age.
For ‘06-‘08 I’d look for an “S” model, and for ‘09 and later either base or S. Don’t know whether you’re looking for a manual or automatic, but the PDK makes the base model quite quick further negating the need for an “S”.
Whatever you look for or find the most important thing is to see regular maintenance and reasonable miles.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:59 PM
madvad
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat, but on the East coast. I'm not sure I'd scope a 25k car, but definitely do a PPI if no records are available.
I'd be a little concerned learning how to drive stick on a porsche, but that's just me I did it on a 97 miata that I paid 3k for.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:19 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

You seem far from ready. Need to decide Cayman or Boxster first. For me, the Cayman has beautiful lines, many of which are lost on the Boxster. I have always preferred coupes.
I bought my 07 5speed 2 years ago and couldn’t be happier. Keep the revs up and have fun.

Quick Reply: Having difficulty finding a used Cayman I like