Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman R vs 2001 996 Turbo...Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 08:31 PM
huddy
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman R vs 2001 996 Turbo...Thoughts?

First post ever.....Looking to get into my dream cars now that I am fifty......oh why did I wait so long. Anyway, I have come across a 2001 996 Turbo with 64,000kms (I am in Canda) and also a 2012 Cayman R with 56,000 kms for about the same price $60,000. I suspect that the driving enjoyment will be similar, but which will cost me more to own (Depreciation + Maintenance)? - Any other thoughts or suggestions will be listened to. Thanks in advance
Old 04-11-2018, 09:57 PM
SomnoBoost
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Not even a mildly tough decision for me; I'd take the Cayman R all day. An 11 year difference is huge and since a 2001 996 is by no means a "classic car" yet, being that much older than the R hurts even more. And technology can leap pretty far in 11 years. I can't say I know much about either car except for the stats available online. But when I look at the stats, and factor in the mid-engine design, it's Cayman R all day. A 4.2 0-60 with the Cayman's outstanding handling?? Easy yes.
But I understand that nobody grows up dreaming of owning a Cayman and guys definitely do grow up dreaming of owning a 911. lol
Old 04-12-2018, 02:06 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I have equally strong but opposite views - Id take the Turbo all day over a Cayman R. Turbos handle awesome with proper alignment and the motor is a no brainer over the Rs. The turbo motor will make the R feel like half its cylinders are not working. Bullet proof engine---> Metzger.

My turbo has been amazing - cost me nothing but normal items that you would also have in the Cayman. And its appreciating in value.

Not even close for me. Turbo! Different driving experience but those 996 Turbos are great cars.

Where in Canada are you?
Old 04-12-2018, 02:17 AM
huddy
7th Gear

Squamish BC
Old 04-12-2018, 10:01 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

My vote is for the Cayman R just because it is a decade younger. It's likely to have lower maintenance cost within the first few years of ownership. The bushings, springs, dampers, and steering linkage are going to be in better shape, providing a more responsive driving experience. The Cayman R is already the better handling car due to suspension tuning and engine location, but factor in a decade less degradation (weather, ozone on rubber bushings) and it'll be a night and day difference between them. My friend's 997 Turbo feels like a floaty Lincoln compared to my 981 GTS.

With the Cayman R being a street legal track toy you should evaluate your desired use of the vehicle. The 996 Turbo will be the more comfortable car for commuting, tooling around on a weekend, or taking a road trip. That softer suspension (even when new) will make you happier if you don't intend to take the car to the race track. Yes the Cayman R is perfectly streetable, but between the two it will be stiffer and less comfortable. The Turbo will also be the faster car in a straight line. If acceleration makes you smile, it's the better choice. If you have any thoughts of making it a year-round car the AWD in the Turbo makes it an instant winner for traction in rain or possible snow.
Old 04-12-2018, 10:22 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by huddy
First post ever.....Looking to get into my dream cars now that I am fifty......oh why did I wait so long. Anyway, I have come across a 2001 996 Turbo with 64,000kms (I am in Canda) and also a 2012 Cayman R with 56,000 kms for about the same price $60,000. I suspect that the driving enjoyment will be similar, but which will cost me more to own (Depreciation + Maintenance)? - Any other thoughts or suggestions will be listened to. Thanks in advance
Could you have picked two more different Porsches?

I think you need to completely determine what YOU want (in order to be happy with) in a sports car. I think it's okay to think about how you want the public to view your car, it's part of ownership. I don't know whether you want a car to drive hard at the track or blast down open roads on the way to Cars & Coffee.

Stray observations...
- over the years whenever I said I owned a Porsche almost 100% of the time the next question was... "is it a Turbo?" (Don't know if that matters to you or not)
- the vast majority of people will have no idea what a Cayman "R" is or how unbealivable it is to drive. You'll be doing a lot of explaining. (can be good!)
- 996 Turbos can be safely modified to extrordinary heights. Just a quality ECU flash will get you 500 hp for less than timing belt job on most cars.
- overall cost of ownership with any Cayman is as affordable as any real sports car in the world.
- some items on the turbo can get pretty pricey to fix and it's getting older e.g wing hydralics, turbocharger replacement, etc. (old adage = horsepower cost money, how fast do you want to go?)
- 996 Twin Turbo will never handle like the Cayman R no matter what you do to it -- weight alone.

Bottom line is what car do you really love. Drive both a few times and really determine what car is more enjoyable for your purpose. I've owned a lot of Porsches and loved each one for completely different reasons.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:49 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

I would expect the Cayman to be a fair bit cheaper to own. It’s much newer and has lower power, lower weight, and a lower price point. Consumable costs will be a lot lower and there are less parts and systems to maintain/service plus less age in them. If it’s a track toy and you don’t have a race license yet, the Cayman R is probably the better choice.

That said, the 996 turbo will likely be very reasonable to own.

I would suspect the 911 would command a better resale value in the long term but that’s hard to predict. The Cayman R hasn’t depreciated much, perhaps it never will.

I would be more inclined to buy the car that appeals to you personally and your usage scenario rather than base it on maintenance costs. The 911 will be a better daily driver and all season car, and the Cayman will be more nimble and responsive. Both will be delightful to drive and own but in rather different ways.

And since you’ve waited too long and should have started years ago, why not get the 911 turbo plus an older Boxster S for sunny days and canyons? 🙂 That nearly gives you the best of both, and an early Boxster S in decent shape can be had for $10k USD so the premium is only 15% to get both cars...
Old 04-12-2018, 03:37 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow - apples to bacon. Cayman R hands down over a 10 year older turbo IMHO.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:17 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by huddy
Squamish BC
Super! The good news is that whatever car you choose you can join for the Bobs Breakfast Club drives on Saturday AMs with PCA. Caulfeild to Squamish then to breakfast in North Van. You could meet us in Squamish for the return leg and for Breakfast at the Tomahawk.

But Id still choose the Turbo!
Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 PM
huddy
7th Gear

I ended up picking up a 2007 S2000 for $28k (Canadian .... the equivalent of $22,000 US) in absolutely mint condition. 60,000 kms or the equivalent of 37,000 miles. Not a smoking deal but I have never seen one so clean!! Anyway, I will return when I get the Cayman as now that I have driven them all, that is what I like.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:51 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You should start this thread on the 996 turbo forum as well. I have a 987.2 Cayman S and a 996 turbo and a 997 turbo. All with 6 speed trans, LSD, etc. We love the CS for going on any trips. It's fast enough and tame enough for everyday driving. Nimble compared to the turbos which are pigs on hyper adrenaline.

But to get a thrill I strap into the turbo. Either one. It's a whole different animal and feels much more aggressive. The 6 turbo is transforming into a track car. Far preferred over the CS on the track. The CR is close to the CS in behavior, speed, etc., so not a perfect comparison, but fair. I don't notice the age difference, except for PSM they are similar in nature.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:17 PM
Jack-Porsche
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveCarrera4
You should start this thread on the 996 turbo forum as well. I have a 987.2 Cayman S and a 996 turbo and a 997 turbo. All with 6 speed trans, LSD, etc. We love the CS for going on any trips. It's fast enough and tame enough for everyday driving. Nimble compared to the turbos which are pigs on hyper adrenaline.

But to get a thrill I strap into the turbo. Either one. It's a whole different animal and feels much more aggressive. The 6 turbo is transforming into a track car. Far preferred over the CS on the track. The CR is close to the CS in behavior, speed, etc., so not a perfect comparison, but fair. I don't notice the age difference, except for PSM they are similar in nature.
look above....he bought a Honda
Old 04-13-2018, 04:31 PM
2010panny4S
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 76 Posts

My wife has a CaymanR and even I think driving both her car and my 2014 Carrera S that I think it's faster and a beast of a car.

Quick Reply: Cayman R vs 2001 996 Turbo...Thoughts?