Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman reliability/maintenance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 01:11 PM
CaymanSleen
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Cayman reliability/maintenance?

So I narrowed it down...I test drove a couple 2007 Cayman S cars and fell in love with the refinement and the attachment between driver and car. I have never test drove a 2014 base car but I feel I would love a 2014 PDK car with a nice exhaust. Just curious how is the reliability and maintenance on a PDK base car up to 100k miles? I'm currently a,Saleen mustang supercharged guy and had about 7 of them in the past and have had zero reliability issues or any expensive maintenance cost. Just change the oil and go pretty much. Would love to enjoy a Cayman now. Now I know a German car needs a little more TLC here and there but please would like to hear some experience? Thsnk you in advance
Old 03-23-2018, 12:58 PM
bernb6
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I can't speak to the base engine but the PDK, chassis and suspension are all pretty bullet proof. Porsche made a lot of robust upgrades with the 981. The few issues with the 987.2 (e.g. brakes for some) have been addressed. The rear brakes are the same between 987 & 981 but the new fronts are larger and have much better cooling. I put 50,000 miles on a 987.2, plus track days, and have a lot of confidence in my '16 981 CS.
Bern
Old 03-25-2018, 09:15 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

I have a 14 981S and have turned it into my track car with some mods (still barely street legal though).
Not a damn thing has gone wrong with it, and it has been thrashed around and beaten on many tracks, and quite often I might add.
Bought it a little more than a year ago with 11,000 miles on it.
Put another 9000 miles on it driving it to and from various tracks, and track miles, then started trailering it.
Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, has gone wrong with the car, and it is strictly being used on track for the last year since my ownership.
Do a PPI and if it's clean, you should be good to go. Great cars. Mine's a PDK as well. Tons of track fun, and drives wonderfully on the street as well, although that part of her life is over. No longer driven on the street, just track.
Treat her well, she will do the same for you.
GLWP....

Edit: As for maintenance, just track stuff. Brake fluid changes, oil changes, brake pads, etc.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:49 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had my 2014 for over a year and I've tracked it multiple times and normally drive it hard on twisty mountain roads. It's (nearly) bullet-proof. The only thing that is a lingering issue for the 981s is that the exhaust headers run right next to the ignition coils. But they are an easy change (and if you still have warranty they'll change them for you if they go wrong) so I just bought a couple to keep with me on track days—even though mine have all been replaced.
No other issues at all. And I drive it like I stole it.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:36 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 999 Posts

Originally Posted by conceptDawg
I've had my 2014 for over a year and I've tracked it multiple times and normally drive it hard on twisty mountain roads. It's (nearly) bullet-proof. The only thing that is a lingering issue for the 981s is that the exhaust headers run right next to the ignition coils. But they are an easy change (and if you still have warranty they'll change them for you if they go wrong) so I just bought a couple to keep with me on track days—even though mine have all been replaced.
No other issues at all. And I drive it like I stole it.
Such a fun car to track. That mid engine weighting. Amazing in the corners and esses. Amazing.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:48 PM
conceptDawg
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by dgrobs
Such a fun car to track. That mid engine weighting. Amazing in the corners and esses. Amazing.
Agreed. You can get the car to rotate through corners with just a little throttle feathering. All smiles.
Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 AM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm in a 987.2, but have also had the same experience as others. I have owned the car for three years, tracked it 3-4 times per year and put 16K km (10,000 miles) on it over that time. Haven't had a single issue with the car so far aside from a broken wheel bearing, which was a result of hitting a huge pothole at high speed.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:36 PM
RGTdal
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Drive with confidence! These cars are very well built, and one of the very few I would be comfortable owning long term without an extended warranty.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman reliability/maintenance?