Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 987.1 Story

Old 03-14-2018, 10:28 PM
turdfarmer
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My 987.1 Story

I'll start by saying I've been a Porsche fanatic my whole life. Up until recently I've been playing a lot with VW/Audi cars and have spent a lot of time on those forums. I'm now in a position where I can finally cut my teeth on my first P-car. It was a toss up between a CS or a 996tt and i was having a hard time finding a reasonable 996 with the recent spikes in value. Of the few nice examples I found I was feeling guilty even thinking about driving them and as fate would have it, I found a great low mile Guards Red CS and jumped on it back in July and haven't looked back.

The car is an '06, three owner car with 28k milles, MT w/ black interior. I've been enjoying it since then and recently started getting the mod bug over the winter. The plans are to keep it mild with a new exhaust, minor suspension work, some new wheels and a couple basic cosmetic mods. The car is mostly a weekend toy with some nice weather trips to and from work. Looking forward to feedback and meeting some of the MA locals at some events this summer.

Last edited by turdfarmer; 03-14-2018 at 10:56 PM.
Old 03-14-2018, 11:10 PM
turdfarmer
Instructor

I've been reading a lot about SOUL performance exhausts over the past couple months and almost pulled the trigger on their competition exhaust and headers but really wanted the option for a valved exhaust which they didn't offer for the 987.1. After doing some research I found company called TopGear ( no affiliation with the TV show) based out of the U.K., and after doing my homework found that folks had great things to say about the quality. fitment and sound of the product. As a plus it also looked just like the SOUL system, and appeared to use the same parts, from the mufflers all the way down to the cast manifold flanges on the headers. So I pulled the trigger and had the system at my door in less than a week.

Ill take some install pics and end results once complete.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:54 PM
turdfarmer
Instructor

Finished up the install of the exhaust tonight.

And the the finished product. Exhaust sounds great and it's nice to be able to control how loud it is.

Also, picked up a set of these wheels that will be getting a makeover in the next couple days.

Old 03-16-2018, 07:07 AM
Rebel yel
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice. Good luck with build.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:39 PM
shooter_t1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. And wow, I really like those wheels. Good choice.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM
turdfarmer
Instructor

Thanks guys...

I started pulling apart the wheels and decided on colors. I'll be powder coating the hardware matte black, replacing the black lips with polished ones and powder coating the barrels black. I'm not sure on the color for the centers yet but I like the idea of an off silver/gold so I'll see what I've got.

I typically throw my bolts in my cheap toaster oven to coat them since it's quick and easy. I stuff them through cardboard and wrap the cardboard in aluminum foil to charge the

And the finished product...

Also got got some of the lips polished , and ready that I had hanging around in my collection.

Last edited by turdfarmer; 03-17-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Eyelise
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't know it was so easy to powder coat
Old 03-22-2018, 08:18 PM
turdfarmer
Instructor

wheels are done, final specs were 19x9 front and 19x11 rears with Michelin Pilot 4S.

The rear toe links also arrived so I can now go ahead with the pss9 coilovers install and hopefully get everything buttoned back up and aligned in the next week.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:49 PM
Twodan
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Watch the N East Region, MA below under the Regions heading. Usually C & C get togethers are posted there. You can also check the Northeast Region of the PCA Club for local events.
Dan
Old 03-25-2018, 07:52 PM
turdfarmer
Instructor

This was a very productive weekend. I got the bilstein coilovers in and rear toe links installed. Took it to a good friends shop and had the tires installed and got everything lined up and dialed in.

And one more of her up on the rack dialing in the specs.

Old 03-26-2018, 11:09 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 800 Likes on 490 Posts

Very nice! Time to take it to a PCA Driver Education event.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My 987.1 Story