Sponsored by:

ice forming inside windows

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 03:09 PM
harihot
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ice forming inside windows

Got a new Porsche Cayman in April 2017 and the first problem is that if weather bad it takes ages for the inside front window to de -mist - much longer than any other Porsches I have owned and then water runs down the inside window. Second problem is that now the cold weather is here ice is forming inside the front window and this morning I had to use a scraper to remove it - subsequently a lot of water then runs down the inside windows.Surely this is not normal?
Old 01-08-2018, 06:19 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow....i have never had any car do this.....new or old
Old 01-08-2018, 07:13 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 338 Posts

Yikes! Sounds like you have an unusual and abnormal level of moisture in the cabin that is condensing on the inside of the windshield/windows when the air outside the car becomes cooler/colder than the inside of the car. I've had this happen in older cars that have door/window/windshield gaskets that have deteriorated to the point of leaking and in an MGB and a BMW 2002 that had heater cores leaking inside the cabin. This should not be occurring in a new car and should be addressed under warranty by a Porsche dealership.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 434 Likes on 293 Posts

It would appear that you've got excessive moisture inside the cabin. Take it inside a warm, dry area, open the windows and let it dry out. Also, when you run heat/defrost, make sure the A/C is ON. If either of these ideas don't work, take it to the dealer because this isn't normal.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:58 PM
motoring
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this issue with an 01 Boxster, the easiest solution was getting it into a garage to dry out. But, a short term help was running the heat on high, and cracking the windows open a little to let the warm moist air out.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:48 PM
tacurl03
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had a similar problem keeping the inside of the windows clear of condensation in my '09 Cayman.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:01 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

To follow up on my original response, I have a 2014 Cayman. I live in northern Georgia where the temps and humidity can vary a great deal from day to day. Yesterday, the high was 38 and the humidity about 50%. Today, the high was 61 and the humidity was close to 85%.. That said, I've never had condensation, much less ice, on the inside of the windows on my Cayman (or my '97 Carrera before that). Maybe your Cayman doesn't "breathe" very well. If that is the case and if you park your car in a secure location, cracking the windows overnight to equalize the humidity inside and outside the car may resolve your problem. Either way, I still don't think that's "normal" for a new car.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:35 AM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Never had this happen on a car that was parked indoors.
Maybe one of the cabin air filters isn't functioning properly?
If indeed a new car, I'd take it back to the dealer and ask why this is happening.
Good luck....
Old 01-10-2018, 01:45 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

New? Like brand new? Or new to you/used.
New - is dealer issue.
Any car or truck I've owned with icy windows, had a leak.
Are the carpets dry? Are the sunroof drain tube clear?
Any standing water under the windshield.
On my X5, the drain holes under the windshield we clogged.
Excessive rain would fill the chamber and leak through the wiring harness and onto the passenger floor.
Heater would blast the wet carpet, moist steam would hit the freezing windows and instant frosty window.
Old 01-10-2018, 03:11 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Frost forms on the inside of a window I believe, not the outside.
Take back to dealer and ask for help, or a new car.
Unlikely this will resolve itself. Take it back to the dealer.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:41 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dgrobs
...Take back to dealer and ask for help, or a new car....
Seriously doubt that a dealership will spring for a new car in trade for a ten month old car with a frosty windshield issue.

Both sides, owner and dealership, have responsibility here, but the owner has the responsibility of initiating the discussion. If the owner doesn't inform the dealer of a problem, it's going to be pretty difficult for the dealer to resolve it.

I agree that the car has an issue that (probably) falls under a warranty, but if the owner doesn't let the dealer know what the problem is, there's no way the dealer can repair it.

Posting to a discussion board isn't going to resolve this issue. Talk to your dealership.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:17 AM
thunderstrike
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First when you park overnight, crack open both windows for moisture to escape. Always have AC running (even when running heat in winter) when driving as it will remove moisture from cabin as AC is designed to do.

Quick Reply: ice forming inside windows